2022 Aldebaran BFS

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Pastrmka
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: 2022 Aldebaran BFS

Post by Pastrmka » Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:11 pm

Thanks for the video and review, waiting on your opinion for more of a bass bfs fishing situations and open water to see how it performs. I have alphas air tw, trying to decide if it is worthy upgrade

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:13 am

Pastrmka wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:11 pm
Thanks for the video and review, waiting on your opinion for more of a bass bfs fishing situations and open water to see how it performs. I have alphas air tw, trying to decide if it is worthy upgrade
I got a video coming soon with it's bass performance. Ned Rig, small hardbaits, small frog, weightless plastics....all that. I have some skipping too.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Craiger12
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craiger12 » Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:04 pm

Any thoughts on how this compares to the Alphas Air TW? I'm a Daiwa homer and was ready to pull the trigger on the Alphas Air but this has me second guessing myself. Reel will be paired with a Finetail 5'4" UL for all around stream and small river fishing with minnow plugs and small spinners. Worth the price difference?

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:22 pm

Craiger12 wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:04 pm
Any thoughts on how this compares to the Alphas Air TW? I'm a Daiwa homer and was ready to pull the trigger on the Alphas Air but this has me second guessing myself. Reel will be paired with a Finetail 5'4" UL for all around stream and small river fishing with minnow plugs and small spinners. Worth the price difference?
There isn't much price difference. I did some head to head stream fishing with the Aldebaran BFS and Alphas AIR TW the other day. I will be releasing a video on it in a few days. There isn't a huge difference between them. Drag clicker is nice. Slightly faster Aldebaran in the XG (29mm spool with 8.9 gears). Pitching performance is the biggest difference I think. Pitching with the Aldebaran is faster/flatter but, the Alphas braking is easier for pitching under obstacles like brush and overhangs. I like the Aldebaran because you do not have to touch the brake dial after it is set for a lure. Pitching, casting short/long and whatever else is all great at the same setting. I do have to click the Alphas brake a notch lower for pitching. The Roro AX24 spool in the Alphas AIR TW is better than either but, for out of the box, Aldebaran gets my vote.

Clicking drag too \:D/

Craiger12
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craiger12 » Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:40 pm

I really appreciate the quick response. I have been enjoying your YouTube videos a lot lately they have been very helpful. I have no BFS experience prior to this and will likely be doing mostly if not all casting and no pitching so I likely won't realize the advantages. I think I'll stick with the Alphas and can always grab a Roro spool in the future if things change for me. Thoughts? Thanks again.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:54 pm

Craiger12 wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:40 pm
I really appreciate the quick response. I have been enjoying your YouTube videos a lot lately they have been very helpful. I have no BFS experience prior to this and will likely be doing mostly if not all casting and no pitching so I likely won't realize the advantages. I think I'll stick with the Alphas and can always grab a Roro spool in the future if things change for me. Thoughts? Thanks again.
The Aldebaran doesn't make the Alphas irrelevant at all. I really like both reels. The Roro spool is good for super light weights and also for close range.

I like the spool swapping with Daiwa reels too.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:14 pm

Some bass testing information below. I will be posting more info here, as I cannot make a video for every inquiry :lol: . Lots of questions about the Gekkabijin vs Aldebaran and also specific lures. I will update when I get enough time to draw conclusions.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:51 am

I have received two 22 Shimano Aldebaran BFS XG leftys.
I kinda like the looks - certainly do not find it ugly as many seem to do.

I have only been using the one reel for test casts in the back yard. Spooled with 0.10 mm (6 lb) Sufix braid and with 2.7 to 5.0 gram spinners and spoons. The reel has been on my Smith 5'5" Be sticky trout rod (1-7 gram lure weight) and a custom build Matagi T78 Super Nimble.

At first, slightly concerned with overruns. Usually, I set the spool tension at a point that allows for slight side-to-side play of the spool. With rubber bands on the spool shaft and spool bearing, that trick does not work with the Aldebaran and had me digging out birds nests. I had to do test casts from spool tension with slow falling lure until I reached a point that suited me. Magnetic brakes set around 4. After several test casts, I now have the reel more or less dialled in to casting the 2.7-5.0 gram lures with great ease and a very flat trajectory. Using 2.7 gram spoon (weight including snap) I am getting around 25 meters of casting distance with overhand casts - consistent and effortless and that was with the 5'5" rod. I find that pretty dang good.

I used the Bosch GLM 120 C for distance measurement.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Mar 26, 2022 5:27 am

Dalleinf wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:51 am
I have received two 22 Shimano Aldebaran BFS XG leftys.
I kinda like the looks - certainly do not find it ugly as many seem to do.

I have only been using the one reel for test casts in the back yard. Spooled with 0.10 mm (6 lb) Sufix braid and with 2.7 to 5.0 gram spinners and spoons. The reel has been on my Smith 5'5" Be sticky trout rod (1-7 gram lure weight) and a custom build Matagi T78 Super Nimble.

At first, slightly concerned with overruns. Usually, I set the spool tension at a point that allows for slight side-to-side play of the spool. With rubber bands on the spool shaft and spool bearing, that trick does not work with the Aldebaran and had me digging out birds nests. I had to do test casts from spool tension with slow falling lure until I reached a point that suited me. Magnetic brakes set around 4. After several test casts, I now have the reel more or less dialled in to casting the 2.7-5.0 gram lures with great ease and a very flat trajectory. Using 2.7 gram spoon (weight including snap) I am getting around 25 meters of casting distance with overhand casts - consistent and effortless and that was with the 5'5" rod. I find that pretty dang good.

I used the Bosch GLM 120 C for distance measurement.
That flat trajectory really helps with spoons or lures that are affected by wind. I really been liking the Aldebaran BFS.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:19 am

^Good point on wind and also on getting below overhanging branches etc. (a point you made here and/or on YouTube). I look forward to when trout invade the local streams. We have quite a lot of wind in Denmark and plenty of vegetation :-)

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:45 pm

Good points, and nice new video from Hobie. How you manage to see those branches (without leaves)? I don't see in pretty similar conditions, but situation got better with Leech H4X Nights - my favorite shades so far.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:08 pm

jvelth74 wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:45 pm
Good points, and nice new video from Hobie. How you manage to see those branches (without leaves)? I don't see in pretty similar conditions, but situation got better with Leech H4X Nights - my favorite shades so far.
I don't see all the branches :lol: I get hung up once in a while

ks_ness
Angler
Angler

Post by ks_ness » Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:35 am

Anyone know if the microgears and pinon gears fit the '16 Aldebaran?

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:48 pm

Maybe of interest, 3g!!!
Attachments
2751CA50-095D-4904-BAC3-AA8C18E02372.png
2751CA50-095D-4904-BAC3-AA8C18E02372.png (50.44 KiB) Viewed 3086 times

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:07 pm

Dalleinf wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:48 pm
Maybe of interest, 3g!!!
C'mon...you can't be throwing up pics of spools without a link.