JDM Metanium HG vs JDM Aldebaran MGL 30HG

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Arethaz
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

JDM Metanium HG vs JDM Aldebaran MGL 30HG

Post by Arethaz » Tue May 31, 2022 9:12 pm

Guys, quick question.
I have 2 great Jerkbait rods that need new reels. They are an Expride 6'10" Medium and a Megabass F4-65X P5 Oneten Stick.
I have had the Expride for a while with an older Curado 70. I am retiring that reel from jerkbait duties and need a couple of high end reels for the rods.

I am torn between a JDM Metanium HG vs JDM Aldebaran MGL 30HG, I am going JDM due to the current yen to dollar ratio. If you have used both what would be your preferred reel. Does one cast all the usual suspects like a Vision 110, Jackall Rerange, Lucky Craft Pointers etc equally as well as the other, or is one clearly above the other?

I am inclined to go with the Aldebaran but the 30 size spool concerns me. I do usually run 20lb braid to a 10-15 lb leader. But want to have flexibility in spooling with 12lb test flouro and having enough line capacity.

Thanks for your help!

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: JDM Metanium HG vs JDM Aldebaran MGL 30HG

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:36 am

Those are regular weighted jerkbaits and are probably going to BOMB on the Aldebaran 30MGL. I prefer shallower capacity but have recently noticed having a little extra isn't a bad thing. The JDM Metanium is shallow spooled, and not much different than the Conquest in capacity/spool weight. Lures like you mentioned leave me little line when using 10-12lb fluorocarbon, so I would think the Metanium. The 20lb braid will definitely help, but that Aldebaran is very close to BFS capacity. Also I think the Metanium is cheaper at the moment, and has better main gear support. If weight isn't an issue, I would MUCH prefer brass gears and dual main shaft support. I think a 34mm spool might handle long bombing better than a 32mm. Shimano Japan lists the Metanium at 100m of 12lb and the Aldebaran at 65m of 12lb. For only 35m difference, I'd go with the more versatile longer casting reel personally. Especially if you move that reel one day, it will probably fit elsewhere better too. The Aldebaran for me would always be tied to lighter duty or close range.

Arethaz
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Arethaz » Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:01 pm

Thanks DirtyD64.
I appreciate your advice and helped sway me to the Metaniums.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:20 pm

Arethaz wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:01 pm
Thanks DirtyD64.
I appreciate your advice and helped sway me to the Metaniums.
No problem, I considered an Aldebaran 30MGL for a while, but they stayed pretty high in price for what you get. They were cool reels for sure but those few things stood out. Aluminum gears, no dual main shaft support, extremely shallow spool; those all kept me wondering. Same as recently I was really bummed I didn't wait for the shallow version of the Alphas SVTW, but I am not sure I could bomb lures with a really shallow spool. I have complained for a long time about how deep some spools can be but at other times I almost cast to my braid backing. My old SV105 (Alphas SV), is loaded with 7lb FC and a bit of braid backing, when I long cast with a 3/16 or 1/4oz dropshot it goes a long ways. I also know the centrifugally braked Shimanos you are looking at can possibly cast even further. For that reason and with the lure weights you mentioned, I would assume the Aldebaran 30MGL would be casting at +75% every time. After a few snags and retying for a while, you'd be right there at spooling yourself casting.

Good luck with your choice! I am thinking of picking up a second Conquest 100HG for myself. I was told it wouldn't work well for semi-finesse but has been great so far. I think the Metanium has similar capacity and spool weight so it should work great in that area too. The Metanium does have a 34mm and the Conquest a 33mm so there is some difference still, but I know plenty on here that regard the JDM Metanium as a great lighter lure casting reel.

Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dan B » Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:04 am

Arethaz wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 9:12 pm
Guys, quick question.
I have 2 great Jerkbait rods that need new reels. They are an Expride 6'10" Medium and a Megabass F4-65X P5 Oneten Stick.
I have had the Expride for a while with an older Curado 70. I am retiring that reel from jerkbait duties and need a couple of high end reels for the rods.

I am torn between a JDM Metanium HG vs JDM Aldebaran MGL 30HG, I am going JDM due to the current yen to dollar ratio. If you have used both what would be your preferred reel. Does one cast all the usual suspects like a Vision 110, Jackall Rerange, Lucky Craft Pointers etc equally as well as the other, or is one clearly above the other?

I am inclined to go with the Aldebaran but the 30 size spool concerns me. I do usually run 20lb braid to a 10-15 lb leader. But want to have flexibility in spooling with 12lb test flouro and having enough line capacity.

Thanks for your help!
I have both the rods you are using. I run a Aldebaran 31HG on my P5 OneTen, and a Metanium DC on the Expride 6'10 M.
Dont worry about going with the Aldebaran on the P5, with the rod only being 6'5 you aren't going to spool the reel with 8-10lb Fluoro... the rod just can't cast far enough.

bronzebacks
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bronzebacks » Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:10 pm

The metanium is a way nicer. The alde feels hollow and cheap