Help Me Source 18 Graphiteleader Corto

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
JS8588
Angler
Angler

Help Me Source 18 Graphiteleader Corto

Post by JS8588 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:01 pm

My initial foray into JDM rods in the form of a Megabass Orochi XXX Slend & Triza Hibali have left me...underwhelmed. They're both nice rods but their sensitivity hasn't been significantly better than anything I'd get in the price range from a good US manufacturer. Randy's review of the 2018 Graphiteleader Corto has me very interested but they appear to be unobtanium. Maybe my Google skills are weak? I'm looking for the 7'4 2 piece model.

Can the collective here help me find one?

StymoDe
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Help Me Source 18 Graphiteleader Corto

Post by StymoDe » Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:31 pm

just a caution on the expectation - 18 Corto are likely very nice rods for the money but they are only at the med to med-low price range in the Corto family.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:41 am

With the JDM rods your are paying for unique actions or builds not found in US sticks and not so much more sensitivity. Things like a shorter bottom contact sticks, high quality 2 pc rods for breakdown and transport, solid carbon tips, short big bait sticks or just megabass weirdness like the glass graphite Valkaryies with thr telescopic handle or spiral wrapped telescopic blank flipping sticks like an old Destoryer.

Rods like the Orochi xxx are just JDM XX rods and the reason you would want one is because you want an XX but the taper you want only exists in the XXX because your tastes line up with JDM tapers. It's not going to be any more sensitive or better than an XX rod just a bit cheaper due to a weak yen and in a unique action not found in the US rods.

Off the top of my head the big reasons I would go with a JDM stick are:

Lighter powered casting rods not found in US rods or just a greater selection. BFS rods and ML casting rods in specific, bottom contact or skipping tapers instead of the few general purpose ML rods we get in the US. M+ is also a popular category that occupies a MH in the US but a bit lighter.

Solid carbon tip casting drop shot or bottom contact tapers. This is just something we do not see much of with US rods.

Short big bait sticks. 7'2" and under rods rated to 4 oz are not something we see in US sticks but are fairly common in JDM tapers. For me they are great kayak big bait sticks. In Japan I think they are meant for shore casting use in close quarters.

Short bottom contact sticks. Something like a 6'9" or 6'6" rod instead of the usual 7'5" we see in the US.

Japanese weirdness. Spiral wrapped guides. Telescopic handles and blanks. Two peice rods, tons of detaining, threadwork, carbon inlays and paint finishes.

I'm sure others can add to the list but these are the ones that I will always go JDM.

JS8588
Angler
Angler

Post by JS8588 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:59 pm

Since it seems like y'all don't have a better line on these than I do, I ordered a Tenryu Lunakia 7'5. The Yen to $ exchange rate is just too good right now. :D

JS8588
Angler
Angler

Post by JS8588 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:54 am

I get the hype over made-in-Japan now. The Lunakia is on another level even from the Megabass rods I've purchased so far. Can't wait to try it out on the water.

Bbrotz
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bbrotz » Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:16 pm

I think your going to love it. I have the tenryu Lunakia 6’10 and it is on another level compared to anything usdm. I bought it for drop shotting for trout, which it is great at, but I also find it’s great at throwing spoons, small cranks, and mini jigs. The weave of the reel seat is just icing on the cake, I love the way it looks