Evergreen Giant Direwolf

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Evergreen Giant Direwolf

Post by Cranky » Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:43 pm

Just got this rod in and thought I’d offer a few quick first impressions. Full disclosure this is the most anticipated Evergreen rod for me personally in many years so naturally I’m impressed with it. I was sort of expecting a big thick oversized swimbait rod with huge gaudy guides and really it looks and feels way more like a regular/moderate action jig rod on steroids in size/power/balance/handling (if that description makes sense).

From Evergreen: IRSC-611XXXHR-SXF Giant Deerwolf RS

“ The absolute balance between cast performance and maneuverability of the giant lure, the 611XXXH. With its excellent balance, it has an extremely wide adaptive ability that can handle lures of about 14 grams, not to mention big baits, giant baits, and even shoots of swim jigs and soft swimbaits, as well as heavy cover worms and jigs.”

The rod is classic EG fit and finish, beautiful. Balance is really excellent for a rod of this power, balances at the winding check with a Conquest 100HG. With a Steez 70CT it balances 3/4” in front of the winding check. Pretty impressive for a rod rated to 8oz. The spineless construction concept seems nice, I want time to test it side by side with traditional constructions to really see if it’s a revelation or not.

Power/Action: I’m a big fan of very heavy power rods in general (heavy cover, jig, swimbait, frog, etc) and this rod has the power I was anticipating. Evergreen says up to 8oz swimbait rated power and in typical EG rating fashion it’s very comfortable bomb casting 1/2-6oz baits but 8oz really loads the rod deep. It has a more regular action than I’ve come to expect in these heavy power rods from EG. The tip is stiff and loads directly into the berry very stout and then a nice progressive bend to the midpoint from there (picture more like a Steez RD Jigga Stick). It’s not like the EG Rapid Gunner or Grand Stallion at all. Both of those rods are a much much softer F/XF tip with a boardy backbone. I would say it’s the most similar to the Shimano Poison Glorious 176XXH-SB “Magnum Vortism” which was also intended to be a swimbait-specific rod for similar applications and lure weights. This strikes me as Evergreen’s take (Imae’s) on that technical swimbait concept for twitching/working Swimbaits/glidebaits but is definitely more versatile than the Poison Glorious I had. …It’s sort of like the Steez RD “Jigga Stick” had a baby with an extremely heavy crankbait rod. They actually have a very very similar action.

Overall very impressed. Looking forward to getting a bunch of time on it shortly.
Attachments
84071D58-B7A2-45E5-99CB-58762E87B8B9.jpeg
84071D58-B7A2-45E5-99CB-58762E87B8B9.jpeg (19.28 KiB) Viewed 3053 times
200A4B19-044D-4CE8-81B9-5DEBCF207695.jpeg
200A4B19-044D-4CE8-81B9-5DEBCF207695.jpeg (34.81 KiB) Viewed 3053 times
1D5EC0AC-4ECA-462F-A400-3AA4ADED2CDA.jpeg
1D5EC0AC-4ECA-462F-A400-3AA4ADED2CDA.jpeg (31.29 KiB) Viewed 3053 times
FC142AAE-3F4A-4C01-9B01-EAA14F4FFBC8.jpeg
FC142AAE-3F4A-4C01-9B01-EAA14F4FFBC8.jpeg (14.84 KiB) Viewed 3053 times

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Evergreen Giant Direwolf

Post by KP Duty » Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:03 am

Good lookimg rod fo shizzle. I will use maybe half of the power my Glorious XH can throw (up to 5.3ozs). 8ozs is up there!

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:27 am

I am starting to like these short XXH rods. This a common build in Japan but you never see them in the states. What baits do you plan on throwing on this rod? I have a 72H Hyuga and a 72H+ Wild Side on the way. I use my Hyuga a ton this year throwing Gantarel Jr's, Gantarels and Vatalions at the shorline in spring around docks in a close quarters big bait combat for those big females crusing the spawning grounds in low light. I only have maybe two hours each day after work during this period before it get too dark so I take the kayak to this lake and find that these shorter rods are much better for making those accurate casts from a kayak.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:28 pm

Cool rod. Shorter length, huge power, and no spine. That sounds really interesting. Look forward to hearing more.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:46 pm

The MB G-Ax was a 6’7” heavy action rod, long handle, like a tuna rod. That rod with 25lb flouro and a 6” single tail grub was the pad and hole in the weeds set up.
#LunkaTime

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:08 pm

I have 8 of the RS/GT models now and love the spineless models. I don’t need this one, but will probably end up getting it just because. Thanks for the write up.

Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cranky » Sun Jul 24, 2022 5:49 pm

For me I’ll throw lots of 2-6 oz swimbait stuff on it, both hard and soft. Probably up to a Deps 250 size. Fishes them beautifully like you’d imagine as that’s clearly what it was designed for.

It works awesome for frogs, especially if they have a little extra weight to them. The great balance is really low-fatigue for such a beefy rod and you can really pour the coals to them in heavy cover with it. If you’re looking for a really heavy cover rod, it’s a fun one.

I’ll also fish big swimjigs on it, “California” swimjigs and up in size and it also chucks weedless beast hook rigged 6-8” class Swimbaits nicely too. Skips that style bait really well with the shorter length and spineless design.

Still just messing around with it mostly but it’s been as advertised. I’ve got plenty of longer swimbait/swimjig/frog rods and this fills a really enjoyable niche for me.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:59 pm

Nice reading! Thanks!
I own the Orion "The Throne" 1-10Oz OCSC-711XX rod, and this is a great swimbait, a-rig, big spoon rod for open water.
Looking now for a rod for more accurate shorter casting, can't decide between The Black Rose 71H+ or the Giant Direwolf.

PKN8
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by PKN8 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:41 am

Nice write up! Evergreen never disappoints.
Always learning...

Fran87
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Fran87 » Thu May 25, 2023 3:45 am

Anyone knows if we will see the longer model of this blank this year? I mean I think it was denominated GD72XXX/GTS

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu May 25, 2023 8:38 am

Great write up
And beautiful rod. Looking forward to more information
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cranky » Thu May 25, 2023 9:18 am

Almost a year in, everything is still accurate except I’d say the top end bait weight is probably around 4-5oz. A 6+ ounce bait you can still throw just fine but I don’t like how spongy it gets casting above those weights (personal preference).

It’s my understanding that the “longer” model coming out is basically the same length from the reel seat to the tip and it’s just a longer rear grip. So just pick one or the other based on your preference of rear grip length. I normally prefer a longer rear grip than most people and I find the current 611 model to be great for me.

Versatile. Jedi mind trick accurate casting. Beautiful build and aesthetics. Great balance. More sensitive than you’d guess. Extreme high durability build and quality control testing far beyond the loading you’re gonna fish on it. Looks great with just about any reel on it. What’s not to love?

Love the rod. Love it.