Daiwa Alphas Sv TW 800s

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
d510addict
Angler
Angler

Daiwa Alphas Sv TW 800s

Post by d510addict » Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:17 pm

Has anyone received/tried this reel out? What are your thoughts? BFS territory or a 1/4 ounce and up rig?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Daiwa Alphas Sv TW 800s

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:49 pm

I used mine with a 1/0 offset worm hook and a 4" roboworm yesterday with no weight and I could get 20 yds out of it. That is with 8# Strike King braid(which I didn't like). The reel is capable with 1/8, but 3/16 is the lower realistic limit. To be fair, I fished it completely untouched. My alphas tw spool bearings were packed to the gills with grease and it casted much better after a thorough flush and relube with light oil. I will do that next to my S model before using it again, but I just wanted a baseline to see if it behaves differently after a spool bearing flush.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:20 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:49 pm
I used mine with a 1/0 offset worm hook and a 4" roboworm yesterday with no weight and I could get 20 yds out of it. That is with 8# Strike King braid(which I didn't like). The reel is capable with 1/8, but 3/16 is the lower realistic limit. To be fair, I fished it completely untouched. My alphas tw spool bearings were packed to the gills with grease and it casted much better after a thorough flush and relube with light oil. I will do that next to my S model before using it again, but I just wanted a baseline to see if it behaves differently after a spool bearing flush.
What Abu rod is that? I have one of the 6'10"ML PLX Tournament Editions and like it a lot. Also love my Villain 2.0s, I assume that is what your pictured rod is? I was torn between trying the Shallow Alphas or something else, but my regular version can do about what you described, not quite as well with 1/2 spool braid backing and 12lb Tatsu (but also using a ML rod).

I still consider trying a Millionaire for an odd finesse reel, but the Alphas Shallow is such a better deal. A new Aldebaran would be cool too, as would the Shallow Metanium but I am scared of the aluminum micro gears.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:39 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:20 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
What Abu rod is that? I have one of the 6'10"ML PLX Tournament Editions and like it a lot. Also love my Villain 2.0s, I assume that is what your pictured rod is? I was torn between trying the Shallow Alphas or something else, but my regular version can do about what you described, not quite as well with 1/2 spool braid backing and 12lb Tatsu (but also using a ML rod).

I still consider trying a Millionaire for an odd finesse reel, but the Alphas Shallow is such a better deal. A new Aldebaran would be cool too, as would the Shallow Metanium but I am scared of the aluminum micro gears.
That's the Villian 2.0 610MLXF. This reel does what I expected it to do. It fits between the standard Alphas TW and my Alphas Air. I usemy standard Alphas TW for 3/8 total weight and up, along with my Tatula 80.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:27 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:39 pm
DirtyD64 wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:

That's the Villian 2.0 610MLXF. This reel does what I expected it to do. It fits between the standard Alphas TW and my Alphas Air. I usemy standard Alphas TW for 3/8 total weight and up, along with my Tatula 80.
Awesome rod man, I have 2 of the 7'Medium, fast actions and they are great. I had some eyes go bad and they sent me the ML version of the PLX TE, I figure it has a similar action to your 6'10", just different reel seat.
Either way, I did exactly what you said when I got my Alphas SV TW, fished it hard, then removed some grease and it cast great. I still use my old SV105 with a stock spool, braid backing, and 60 yards or so of 7lb Sniper and it casts light lures great too. Wish I had the weight differences for the Alphas Shallow and SVTW models...

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:22 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:27 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:39 pm
DirtyD64 wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:

Awesome rod man, I have 2 of the 7'Medium, fast actions and they are great. I had some eyes go bad and they sent me the ML version of the PLX TE, I figure it has a similar action to your 6'10", just different reel seat.
Either way, I did exactly what you said when I got my Alphas SV TW, fished it hard, then removed some grease and it cast great. I still use my old SV105 with a stock spool, braid backing, and 60 yards or so of 7lb Sniper and it casts light lures great too. Wish I had the weight differences for the Alphas Shallow and SVTW models...
Both of mine have went away from completely stock, as I substituted handles and drag stars. I wouldn't be of any help if I did weigh them.

sbd3
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by sbd3 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:36 pm

Both of mine have went away from completely stock, as I substituted handles and drag stars. I wouldn't be of any help if I did weigh them.
[/quote]

Off subject but that handle looks fabulous, what brand is it?

sbd3
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by sbd3 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:36 pm

Off subject but that handle looks fabulous, what brand is it?

Tony9
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tony9 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:22 pm

I was able to take mine out for a few hours today. Spooled it 8lb Berkley X9 braid. First thing I did was open it up and installed a clicking drag from Sagisi Customs. The spool weighs 12.7g on my scale, so very similar to the normal spool.

I threw lures from 3g to 7g. Handled them fine and effortlessly. Though like previously mentioned, the reel's sweet spot is 5g and up.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:45 am

Well you all might have answered my question for me; I am not seeing a reason to grab the shallow when it weighs almost the same as the regular. I figure with the backing I use that the performance is barely different.

I still cannot get the Millionaire out of my head, just hard to buy one when the price is almost double what the Alphas SVTW or Shallow runs. Does anyone have experience with a Millionaire in comparison, or any 30mm spool versus this 32mm Alphas spool? Not that I don't enjoy my Alphas, I just like to get a different reel every time now, want to try all of them.

dennis_rf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dennis_rf » Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:25 pm

I received a foul one, makes clacking / ticking noises under load… needs to be returned to Japan.
But yeah, the spool isn’t that much lighter, even when both are spooled to the rim. It’s rather a benefit of not having to run backing if you’re a thin braid guy, I guess?

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Just_Bass » Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:33 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:45 am
Well you all might have answered my question for me; I am not seeing a reason to grab the shallow when it weighs almost the same as the regular. I figure with the backing I use that the performance is barely different.

I still cannot get the Millionaire out of my head, just hard to buy one when the price is almost double what the Alphas SVTW or Shallow runs. Does anyone have experience with a Millionaire in comparison, or any 30mm spool versus this 32mm Alphas spool? Not that I don't enjoy my Alphas, I just like to get a different reel every time now, want to try all of them.
I guess I might be out too, but still like the ideal of no backing when using light line. All my 3 regular alphas got braid backing even with 10lb FC line.
Anyway this is weight of my Alphas after some mod.
Attachments
99F92AA8-434B-41D1-BF8B-DE81E4455BCF.jpeg
99F92AA8-434B-41D1-BF8B-DE81E4455BCF.jpeg (102.91 KiB) Viewed 3914 times

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:13 am

dennis_rf wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:25 pm
I received a foul one, makes clacking / ticking noises under load… needs to be returned to Japan.
But yeah, the spool isn’t that much lighter, even when both are spooled to the rim. It’s rather a benefit of not having to run backing if you’re a thin braid guy, I guess?
A foul Alphas or Millionaire? Yeah I would much prefer to not deal with backing.
Just_Bass wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:33 pm
DirtyD64 wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:45 am

I guess I might be out too, but still like the ideal of no backing when using light line. All my 3 regular alphas got braid backing even with 10lb FC line.
Anyway this is weight of my Alphas after some mod.
I do that same even with fluorocarbon lighter or heavier, but have noticed my backing is always tangled or dug into itself even though I'm never even close to it while fishing. Just odd that line so deep in the spool digs in and loops over itself when I wind it very tight initially and it is covered by fluoro for up to a year or more (sometimes).

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:06 am

So is the general consensus that the shallow spool Alphas aren’t really improving casting performance on lighter tackle?

Was kinda hoping to get this reel to throw 1/16 oz crappie jigs since I absolutely loathe spinning reels.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:48 am

CFDoc wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:06 am
So is the general consensus that the shallow spool Alphas aren’t really improving casting performance on lighter tackle?

Was kinda hoping to get this reel to throw 1/16 oz crappie jigs since I absolutely loathe spinning reels.
I think you want one of the Air reels or Shimano BFS reels for that.