Help w Evergeen Kaleido Inspirare RS/GT

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
captainhookset
Angler
Angler

Help w Evergeen Kaleido Inspirare RS/GT

Post by captainhookset » Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:05 am

Hey TT

I just bought my first Evergeen in yearrrrrs and im in love all over again.

I was wondering if anyone could help me understand the differences between some of the models and what their intended applications are?

Stallion RS Limited vs. Stallion GT

Grand Cobra RS Limited vs. Grand Cobra GT

Rapid Gunner RSR vs. Rapid Gunner HD

Super Stallion GT vs. Super Stallion GT2RS

And what about the Cougar Elite 7 RS?

PKN8
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Help w Evergeen Kaleido Inspirare RS/GT

Post by PKN8 » Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:05 am

captainhookset wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:05 am
I believe the only major difference is that the HD version has double footed guides vs the RSR's single footed guides.
Always learning...

captainhookset
Angler
Angler

Post by captainhookset » Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:24 am

PKN8 wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:05 am
captainhookset wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:05 am
I believe the only major difference is that the HD version has double footed guides vs the RSR's single footed guides.
awesome thats great to know. Thank you.

evilcatfish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by evilcatfish » Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:33 pm

Main differences between them is the guides and the handles (GTs are foam vs cork), though I believe certain models may have some other slight differences. The Evergreen Japan site has a lot of info on each individual rod, pretty interesting to read

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:23 am

I have 8 rods from the RS/GT line, and one of each model you listed. All of them are amazing. Typically due to the difference in the guide layout, and number of guides the RS models tend to be slightly faster. I have only fished the Stallion GT and RS models side by side. The GT was mine and RS belongs to a friend and it was pretty noticeable between the 2. The RS blank is much better looking in the stallion line and has the carbon weave wrap while the GT is just a plain matte black blank. Performance wise both are excellent. I use mine with an EWG hook tied on and 90% of the time throw weightless flukes on it. The slack line bite response/sensitivity is out of this world in my hands ( might be exaggerating :lol: ) and blows away the older stallion black model I own in this regard. If I had it to do over I’d get the RS version of the stallion purely due to the look of the blank. Performance wise both are excellent and a blast to fish and very versatile. It’s similar to how the older MB Diablo XTI/XFTI’s fish with a completely different feel.

The Grand Cobra GT is a heavy powered best suited for single hook applications type of rod. Lately I’ve been using mine to burn trash fish through the holes in walls of tulles. It’s moderate enough for some of the newer, bigger, cranks like the MB 4.0’s and other big boys, but something about it keeps me throwing beast hooks with swimbaits. Cast ability is decent. It’s a 6’11 stout heavy rod so you can’t expect super long distance bombs, but I have no complaints. Blanks are the same for RS and GT just different guide trains. Double footed for GT single for RS also the GT has Eva grip vs cork for the RS.

I have the Rapid Gunner RSR. It’s a heavy jig rod with an extra fast tip. It has the most guides for any rod of its length that I own. I believe they’re all single footed but I’d have to take a look to be positive. The HD model has double footed guides and is better if you like to fish braid to leader. I use mine with 16-20lb flouro and have no problem. I have tried other techniques but it’s a dedicated jig rod for me now.

For the Super Stallion I own the GT. It’s a versatile rod with a normal fast taper that is pretty progressive when you got a fish on. It can do a lot of techniques well. From various bottom contact techniques, to moving baits. I personally keep mine lined with 50 lb braid and a snap tied on. I switch from frogs in, and around cover to whopper ploppers, buzzbaits, spinnerbaits, and larger walking baits around more open water throughout the day. It’s a GT so it has the double footed guides and eva grips. Definitely one of my favorite rods in the line. If I come across a GT2RS I might pick it up just because of how much I like fishing the GT.

As for the Cougar SFX Elite 7 I have the GT model. It’s the latest model I own and I must say it’s awesome. The GT model is an inch longer with a shorter handle which gives it more useable blank length than the RS. It also has the spineless blank technology which make any type of pitching skipping and casting from different angles extremely satisfying and accurate. Also casting distance is pretty damn good. It can be used for lighter bottom contact, but is best suited for moving baits. It is an amazing dog walking rod but is fun for cranks and minnows also. I use 13-15 lb mono with a snap and switch between baits we’re applicable.

I also own the Dire Wolf GT-R, Grand Stallion GTX, and Black Raven extreme RS. As you might have noticed most of the models I own are the GT versions. I prefer the eva grips over the cork as I’ve mentioned in older posts. Also they seem to be slightly more versatile overall which is what I was looking for. You can’t go wrong with either version it all depends on how you plan on using them. And what you prefer.
I hope this helps a little!
Last edited by domthewon on Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:07 pm

Is anyone using the 69mh Stallion GT? I recently purchased my 1st EG, the Orion Lightning Strike. Ratings on all EG rods throw me for a serious loop. The 69mh Stallion GT is rated up to an ounce, then the 7'1 MH models are rated up to 3 ounces. Real head scratcher. My Lightning Strike is rated up to 1.25 ounces, yet it has no more power than the K2 683ml. The GT models with all double foot guides seems strange to me as well. I understand the motivation as it's described, but no bass rod needs more than 2 double footers. Adds a lot of weight. What makes the RS models 20,000 yen more? Blank materials aren't too different from what I can see. Do the GT models typically have a slower taper, better suited for moving baits?

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:29 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:07 pm
Is anyone using the 69mh Stallion GT? I recently purchased my 1st EG, the Orion Lightning Strike. Ratings on all EG rods throw me for a serious loop. The 69mh Stallion GT is rated up to an ounce, then the 7'1 MH models are rated up to 3 ounces. Real head scratcher. My Lightning Strike is rated up to 1.25 ounces, yet it has no more power than the K2 683ml. The GT models with all double foot guides seems strange to me as well. I understand the motivation as it's described, but no bass rod needs more than 2 double footers. Adds a lot of weight. What makes the RS models 20,000 yen more? Blank materials aren't too different from what I can see. Do the GT models typically have a slower taper, better suited for moving baits?
Yes, mines a Stallion GT. It’s rated to an ounce and I believe it can handle it pretty well. I have a three quarter oz. sleeper gill tied on right now and it fishes it great.The Super stallion GT can handle up to three oz. with a heavy line, but two and a half oz. more comfortably to me. Down to a three eighths spinnerbait no problem. It’s a MH + I believe. I don’t own the other two rods you own to compare. The GT models were meant for using braid, or braid to leader and are larger than the guides on the RS models. Not sure they needed to all be double footed but every one of the RS/GT series feel and are solid rods especially the GT’s. They’re not as light as other rods in the same class from different brands. But, they definitely hold there own vs. others top tier rods in every other aspect. The durable feeling I get from them is one of the main reasons I bought so many. They’re pretty expensive rods, but they also feel like it in your hands. They’re just quality. RS models are more expensive because they have better guides sometimes more guides. They also have pretty nice quality two piece cork handles. Yes the RS rods seem to have a faster taper, but each model still determines what the rod is best suited to be used for. Having a mix of many of these rods they can overlap various techniques from one rod to another, but each one is better than the others at something also.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:28 am

domthewon wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:29 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Yes, mines a Stallion GT. It’s rated to an ounce and I believe it can handle it pretty well. I have a three quarter oz. sleeper gill tied on right now and it fishes it great.The Super stallion GT can handle up to three oz. with a heavy line, but two and a half oz. more comfortably to me. Down to a three eighths spinnerbait no problem. It’s a MH + I believe. I don’t own the other two rods you own to compare. The GT models were meant for using braid, or braid to leader and are larger than the guides on the RS models. Not sure they needed to all be double footed but every one of the RS/GT series feel and are solid rods especially the GT’s. They’re not as light as other rods in the same class from different brands. But, they definitely hold there own vs. others top tier rods in every other aspect. The durable feeling I get from them is one of the main reasons I bought so many. They’re pretty expensive rods, but they also feel like it in your hands. They’re just quality. RS models are more expensive because they have better guides sometimes more guides. They also have pretty nice quality two piece cork handles. Yes the RS rods seem to have a faster taper, but each model still determines what the rod is best suited to be used for. Having a mix of many of these rods they can overlap various techniques from one rod to another, but each one is better than the others at something also.
How is the sensitivity on the Stallion GT? What techniques do you primarily use with it? Which reel have you found that best balances on it? They are definitely heavier than many competing rods. I don't use braid, but I'm assuming fluoro shouldn't be an issue. So essentially, the blanks are the same on same models GT and RS? Ju different designs and components?

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:35 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:28 am
domthewon wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:29 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
How is the sensitivity on the Stallion GT? What techniques do you primarily use with it? Which reel have you found that best balances on it? They are definitely heavier than many competing rods. I don't use braid, but I'm assuming fluoro shouldn't be an issue. So essentially, the blanks are the same on same models GT and RS? Ju different designs and components?
The sensitivity is pretty good overall. I really don’t use mine for typical bottom contact techniques though so I can’t compare it to other rods I use to drag weights, or hop baits. I normally use it for flukes and weightless senkos on ewg’s. A friend gave me a couple sleeper gills and it fished them awesome. The open water bite with slack line is excellent in my hands like I mentioned above. I use a Steez 105 Ltd with a zpi nrc m spool on mine to help cast. It doesn’t feel tip heavy in my hands. I run 12 lb flouro on mine and it’s no problem. The blanks say they’re made of the same materials but the RS is much nicer looking when it comes to the stallion. Most other GT/RS rods have the carbon weave going up the rod but for some reason the stallion and regular cobra GT’s do not. They’re just a matte black blank. If you haven’t checked this page out I highly recommend it. It might give you a better idea about each model before you make a decision.

https://www.evergreen-fishing.com/goods ... =2&s_no=66

captainhookset
Angler
Angler

Post by captainhookset » Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:26 am

domthewon wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:23 am
I have 8 rods from the RS/GT line, and one of each model you listed. All of them are amazing. Typically due to the difference in the guide layout, and number of guides the RS models tend to be slightly faster. I have only fished the Stallion GT and RS models side by side. The GT was mine and RS belongs to a friend and it was pretty noticeable between the 2. The RS blank is much better looking in the stallion line and has the carbon weave wrap while the GT is just a plain matte black blank. Performance wise both are excellent. I use mine with an EWG hook tied on and 90% of the time throw weightless flukes on it. The slack line bite response/sensitivity is out of this world in my hands ( might be exaggerating :lol: ) and blows away the older stallion black model I own in this regard. If I had it to do over I’d get the RS version of the stallion purely due to the look of the blank. Performance wise both are excellent and a blast to fish and very versatile. It’s similar to how the older MB Diablo XTI/XFTI’s fish with a completely different feel.

The Grand Cobra GT is a heavy powered best suited for single hook applications type of rod. Lately I’ve been using mine to burn trash fish through the holes in walls of tulles. It’s moderate enough for some of the newer, bigger, cranks like the MB 4.0’s and other big boys, but something about it keeps me throwing beast hooks with swimbaits. Cast ability is decent. It’s a 6’11 stout heavy rod so you can’t expect super long distance bombs, but I have no complaints. Blanks are the same for RS and GT just different guide trains. Double footed for GT single for RS also the GT has Eva grip vs cork for the RS.

I have the Rapid Gunner RSR. It’s a heavy jig rod with an extra fast tip. It has the most guides for any rod of its length that I own. I believe they’re all single footed but I’d have to take a look to be positive. The HD model has double footed guides and is better if you like to fish braid to leader. I use mine with 16-20lb flouro and have no problem. I have tried other techniques but it’s a dedicated jig rod for me now.

For the Super Stallion I own the GT. It’s a versatile rod with a normal fast taper that is pretty progressive when you got a fish on. It can do a lot of techniques well. From various bottom contact techniques, to moving baits. I personally keep mine lined with 50 lb braid and a snap tied on. I switch from frogs in, and around cover to whopper ploppers, buzzbaits, spinnerbaits, and larger walking baits around more open water throughout the day. It’s a GT so it has the double footed guides and eva grips. Definitely one of my favorite rods in the line. If I come across a GT2RS I might pick it up just because of how much I like fishing the GT.

As for the Cougar SFX Elite 7 I have the GT model. It’s the latest model I own and I must say it’s awesome. The GT model is an inch longer with a shorter handle which gives it more useable blank length than the RS. It also has the spineless blank technology which make any type of pitching skipping and casting from different angles extremely satisfying and accurate. Also casting distance is pretty damn good. It can be used for lighter bottom contact, but is best suited for moving baits. It is an amazing dog walking rod but is fun for cranks and minnows also. I use 13-15 lb mono with a snap and switch between baits we’re applicable.

I also own the Dire Wolf GT-R, Grand Stallion GTX, and Black Raven extreme RS. As you might have noticed most of the models I own are the GT versions. I prefer the eva grips over the cork as I’ve mentioned in older posts. Also they seem to be slightly more versatile overall which is what I was looking for. You can’t go wrong with either version it all depends on how you plan on using them. And what you prefer.

Thank you! This is SUPER helpful. One of the things that seems to be evident is the versatility of these rods. While they may have an application or two that they particularly excel at, it seems they can be pretty flexible on the water.

I've been on the search for a new frog rod so i was king of hoping you would say one of the models was your go-to for frogs. I know you meantioned the GT Super Stallion. I recently bought the Steez AGS 7'4 XH Heavy Cover rod which was recommended to me by Ben from thehookup. I personally hate it for frogs bc i find the handle to be way too long so it gets caught under my armpit when i'm trying to walk the frog. I have to hold it out in front of my body which isn't comfortable bc i'm not really in the right position to set the hook quickly. I'm sure with some practice I could get better at it, but really would prefer to find a good stout rod with a decent tip that doesn't have a super long handle.

This is why i HATE buying high end rods online. So frustrating.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:00 am

captainhookset wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:26 am
domthewon wrote:

Thank you! This is SUPER helpful. One of the things that seems to be evident is the versatility of these rods. While they may have an application or two that they particularly excel at, it seems they can be pretty flexible on the water.

I've been on the search for a new frog rod so i was king of hoping you would say one of the models was your go-to for frogs. I know you meantioned the GT Super Stallion. I recently bought the Steez AGS 7'4 XH Heavy Cover rod which was recommended to me by Ben from thehookup. I personally hate it for frogs bc i find the handle to be way too long so it gets caught under my armpit when i'm trying to walk the frog. I have to hold it out in front of my body which isn't comfortable bc i'm not really in the right position to set the hook quickly. I'm sure with some practice I could get better at it, but really would prefer to find a good stout rod with a decent tip that doesn't have a super long handle.

Go custom 😁!

Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cranky » Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:01 pm

If you want an Evergreen Kaleido frog rod my vote is the Rapid Gunner HD or if you’re super heavy duty frogging the Giant Direwolf. Both of those rods can be used for many other things but for frogs those are my two clear winners.

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:21 am

captainhookset wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:26 am
domthewon wrote:

I have the AGS 7’4 XH also and don’t care for it for frogs either. It’s a little softer than I was expecting and I have to set the hook really hard to get a good hook set. The Super Stallion Gt works great for me, but the handle is pretty long on it also, so you may not like it for frogs either. The handle length really doesn’t bother me, but I can definitely understand how it could bother others. I seen Cranky recommended the Rapid gunner which has the power and tip that’s great for frogs but for me it’s a little faster than I like for them. The handle length is shorter, and would probably work better in your case. The more I write and see others opinions it just becomes more and more clear how subjective rods are in everyone’s hands. It’s something I already knew, but each time I post here I’m reminded. Good luck in your pursuit. I’ll post a pic later of a few rods next to each other when I get a chance.

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:41 pm

Here’s a pic of the RSR, SSGT, and 7’4xh Steez. The Steez handle is actually shorter than the other 2 rods unfortunately. Probably won’t be a good choice since you don’t like the handle on the Steez. ;)
A4B24243-6FF8-46AD-B069-0627EE42B1B8.jpeg
A4B24243-6FF8-46AD-B069-0627EE42B1B8.jpeg (75.93 KiB) Viewed 3318 times

captainhookset
Angler
Angler

Post by captainhookset » Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:06 am

domthewon wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:41 pm
Here’s a pic of the RSR, SSGT, and 7’4xh Steez. The Steez handle is actually shorter than the other 2 rods unfortunately. Probably won’t be a good choice since you don’t like the handle on the Steez. ;)

A4B24243-6FF8-46AD-B069-0627EE42B1B8.jpeg

Super awesome and helpful, thank you! I'm glad i've got myself back on this forum i neglected it for the last decade LOL