Tulala Rods

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Tulala Rods

Post by Firstoutfisher » Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:51 am

So, lately I've been salivating over numerous JDM rod lines. One of the manufacturers I found particularly interesting is Tulala. They have a very unique aesthetic and design philosophy. However information on their rods is very sparse. The weight ratings on many of their rods are completely wild wide ranges. The information about each indiviual rod on their website basically comes down a short description on the intended use of each rod. No information on where the rods are manufactured, what components are used or where the blanks are sourced from. Seems like the only popular rods in the US is their swimbait lineup.

In summary I guess what I am trying to say is, I want to try some of their rods but it is a huge investment into something when I have zero idea what I am getting. So if you or someone you know have any tulala rods please share your experience with them or any additional information you may have on them.

Kimbro1014
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Tulala Rods

Post by Kimbro1014 » Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:20 pm

Firstoutfisher wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:51 am
So, lately I've been salivating over numerous JDM rod lines. One of the manufacturers I found particularly interesting is Tulala. They have a very unique aesthetic and design philosophy. However information on their rods is very sparse. The weight ratings on many of their rods are completely wild wide ranges. The information about each indiviual rod on their website basically comes down a short description on the intended use of each rod. No information on where the rods are manufactured, what components are used or where the blanks are sourced from. Seems like the only popular rods in the US is their swimbait lineup.

In summary I guess what I am trying to say is, I want to try some of their rods but it is a huge investment into something when I have zero idea what I am getting. So if you or someone you know have any tulala rods please share your experience with them or any additional information you may have on them.
Hey bud, I’m stationed in Okinawa. If you want to shoot me some more specifics about a rod you’re interested in I can head to the local tackle shops and see what they have in stock and to try and answer some of your questions. The supply chain issues hit us pretty good over here as well but I might be able to clear up some of the ambiguity.

Regards,
Joe

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:17 pm

Tulala rods are great from my experience or at least that’s my opinion. I have the previous generation Monstruo 74 which is spiral wrapped and the gargoyle 68. These are the ones with the cork handles and large but ends. I initially used the monstruo for large plastic paddle tails on a beast hook and the gargoyle for larger treble cranks and wake baits. But, both rods can function general purpose all arounds in FL waters; more so with the 74. They do cast a surprisingly wide range of weights well, but I don’t use anything below 1/2 oz on either. Rods are built for fishing. These are tough rods and you feel it in hand. They are heavy by today’s rod standards, but also well balanced. Sensitivity id say is good enough, but not at the high end of what you get with todays bottom specializing rods. I’d say that what you get for the money, they are hard to beat if you favor a beast build rod over a super light one. Only problem I found is that they were hard to source. But I’ve seen them these days to be much more accessible on the more broadly popular JDM sites. Even with the shipping charge you get a lot for your investment imo.

Terra Ferma
Angler
Angler

Post by Terra Ferma » Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:48 pm

I've only owned one Tulala rod - an 8 foot 4pc travel rod that was rated for "1g - 30g." Very well put together stick and surprisingly it handled most of that range pretty decently. I ended up selling it because the tip section felt somewhat "brittle" and I was afraid it would break and I would not be able to source a replacement tip section (Tulala sells them; they just won't ship to the US).

I always play around with the non travel versions when I hit tackle shops in Tokyo. High quality sticks that definitely have a unique feel.

There are always quite a few second hand Tulala's on the Japanese auction sites - might be some deals to be had there.

Terra Ferma
Angler
Angler

Post by Terra Ferma » Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:02 pm

As an addendum - my concerns about the tip on that travel rod where specific to that rod, not Tulala rods in general - to flick something only a couple grams they had to make that tip section pretty thin. And being a 4 pc with the spigot in ferrule design the tip section just felt very vulnerable.

PKN8
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by PKN8 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:18 pm

I had the Monstruo 75 for sometime. I was in the same boat as you. Not much information anywhere but I bit the bullet and just bought it. It served as my TK and K9 rod for a while. Used it for some beast hook swimbaits as well. It served all purposes fantastically. Never had a worry in my mind when I was horsing a fish in with giant trebles swing around.

The rods lure rating maxed out at 7oz. I never went up that high but did throw some 5-6oz swimbaits on it and the rod handled it great. On the lower spectrum I threw some 1-1.5oz swimbaits and it handled them the same. No lost accuracy on casts at all.

Just as Polkfish1 said, great balance. Can't really speak on sensativity since I used it as a swimbait rod. Either way, you'll enjoy Tulala rods.
Always learning...

dee
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by dee » Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:53 pm

I have 5 Bombada x Tulala (a.k.a the amazon series) rods:
Loira 52
2x Morena 53
Pimenta 55
Tamandua 56

Great rods for my purpose. Solid performance.
Every tulala rod is designed to have great balance at the reel seat.