Rod pairing with Stella FK

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
ssbmg
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Rod pairing with Stella FK

Post by ssbmg » Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:25 pm

Here's the end use:

Trout fishing from shore in a lake where 20"-30" rainbows are common along with 36"-48" Northern Pike. I typically wade about waist deep to get closer to some drop offs and past weed lines.

My primary pattern of choice is a soft paddletail on a 1/4 oz tungsten ball jig head. That way I can bounce it on the rocky bottom or swim it. On rare occasions I will throw on a Megabass 110 Vision jerkbait just to mix things up.

Been using a Shimano Vanford 2500, 10lb braid to 8 lb FC leader for all patterns. This reel is on a Megabass Levante "Shakyhead" which so far has done a pretty decent job both in using these patterns and in landing fish.

I recently picked up a Stella FK 2500. I plan to again use 10 lb braid with a FC leader. I have narrowed down to 3 rods for this specific application:

NRX+ 827 (7'3" Med/XF)
NRX+ 901 (7'6" ML/F)
St Croix Legend Xtreme XFS73MLXF (7'3" ML/XF)

Goal is to maximize casting distance and increase sensitivity for bottom contact. If any of the above can be used for some occasional jerking then that's a plus as well.

Any tips?

TravisNY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Rod pairing with Stella FK

Post by TravisNY » Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:51 pm

The 872s isn’t exactly a long cast rod if after some distance. It does excel at feeling bottom contact however. It’s been my tube rod choice for river smallmouth for a decade with 1/4 inserts. The 901s will be under powered with 1/4 oz and paddle tail. The 902S NRX would bomb cast a 1/4. The 7’3 Croix ML I think would be better substituted for the 7’6” Medium in the same lineup. Personally I would go 902 Conquest for distance and being able to tame those size pike as it has more backbone than the 902s NRX. I’ve fished all of the rods mentioned above.

Happy shopping sir.

Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cranky » Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:53 pm

For what you describe I’d vote NRX+ 902S or Steez AGS 76MML.

ssbmg
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by ssbmg » Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:21 pm

Never considered the Steez MML. That might be the one… do you think that compares in terms of bottom contact sensitivity to the Conquest or NRX+ 902s?

And now am I in a situation where if I go with the Steez, I should pair it with the 22 Exist vs the Stella FK?

Bbrotz
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bbrotz » Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:51 pm

Another vote for the Steez 7’6 MML. Just make sure you seal the cork right when you get it.

As for reels, unless you are against putting a Shimano reel on a Daiwa rod like some people I know are, either reel would work fine. The Stella will just make for a heavier combo. I have the Shimano Exsence on mine and I think it’s perfect.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Fri Dec 16, 2022 4:45 pm

I'm a huge fan of the Steez AGS 76MML as well, both in the original blue and the current red trimmed model. I find that as much as the 22 Exist LT is an incredible reel, it is too light for that specific rod. I have a Certate LT 3000CXH on my red trimmed 76MML. I don't have the Stella FK, but can imagine it would feel great on that rod. I do have a 22 Exist on the 71ML Finesse Game Special spin and it's one of my favorite spinning combos. The 22 Exist is something special indeed, but keep in mind that incredibly light weight is a consideration when choosing the right rod for it.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

TravisNY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TravisNY » Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:34 am

bronzefly wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 4:45 pm
I'm a huge fan of the Steez AGS 76MML as well, both in the original blue and the current red trimmed model. I find that as much as the 22 Exist LT is an incredible reel, it is too light for that specific rod. I have a Certate LT 3000CXH on my red trimmed 76MML. I don't have the Stella FK, but can imagine it would feel great on that rod. I do have a 22 Exist on the 71ML Finesse Game Special spin and it's one of my favorite spinning combos. The 22 Exist is something special indeed, but keep in mind that incredibly light weight is a consideration when choosing the right rod for it.
Absolutely agreed sir. I have a Certate on my MML for the same reason you pointed out. I run Exists on my other Steez AGS spins and Black Labels. I look forward to getting my hands on the 6’10” L - SMT next month.

Craiger12
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craiger12 » Sat Dec 17, 2022 2:29 pm

TravisNY wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:34 am
bronzefly wrote:
Absolutely agreed sir. I have a Certate on my MML for the same reason you pointed out. I run Exists on my other Steez AGS spins and Black Labels. I look forward to getting my hands on the 6’10” L - SMT next month.
Please report back when you receive and fish the 6'10" L Steez. I'm definitely interested in this rod's potential for lighter drop shot and ultralight jig heads.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:37 am

TravisNY wrote:
I have tested the prototypes of the new 610L Steez AGS. The production model is sweet. I think it's going to be a hit for guys who want that unique solid tipped JDM feeling lighter powered spinning rod. It's obviously designed as a high end Ned Rig rod, but has a lot of finesse capabilities...
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

TravisNY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TravisNY » Sun Dec 18, 2022 6:34 am

Craiger12 wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 2:29 pm
TravisNY wrote:
bronzefly wrote:
Please report back when you receive and fish the 6'10" L Steez. I'm definitely interested in this rod's potential for lighter drop shot and ultralight jig heads.
Will do sir. I’ll be throwing weightless stick baits on it all summer and 1/32 heads as well. I look forward to what it will do for consolidated sub 45 degree late season river smallmouth with that “wet leaf” light bite.

TravisNY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TravisNY » Sun Dec 18, 2022 6:41 am

bronzefly wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:37 am
TravisNY wrote:
I have tested the prototypes of the new 610L Steez AGS. The production model is sweet. I think it's going to be a hit for guys who want that unique solid tipped JDM feeling lighter powered spinning rod. It's obviously designed as a high end Ned Rig rod, but has a lot of finesse capabilities...
Yes sir, agreed. I have been pestering my friends at Daiwa for one since ICAST. I am only a couple of weeks out now :). It will certainly be getting a good workout on my air clear water smallmouth this coming season and as you pointed out not just for Neds. That ML AGS Steez has been my Ned machine this past year and have it rigged every time out.

ssbmg
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by ssbmg » Mon May 08, 2023 6:11 pm

Finally got on some open water up at the trophy trout reservoirs here in CO to try out the new combo. Finished the day with 25 fish over 20", the largest being a 26" cutbow buck, in the 6-7lb range.

Final combo is the Steez 7'6" MML, Stella FK 2500HG, YGK Upgrade x8 braid 0.8 P.E., J Fluoro 8lb leader.

Rod is as sensitive as I'd hoped and with the ultra thin braid was able to cast further than any of my other combos using 1/8-1/4 oz total weight lures. Rod handled these powerful fish with ease. I had no problem getting them into the net. Sensitivity is on par or exceeds any of my MB Destroyers, at least in my hands.

The last guide is on the small side, seems almost as small as some of my casting rods. Need to try a different leader knot with a smaller diameter than uni to uni that won't catch on that last guide. Will also probably try to go 6lb leader and hope for the best.

Now I'm thinking of picking up the 6'10" light for streams/rivers to throw 1/32-1/16oz lures... I did just pick up the JDM 23 Daiwa Airity 2000 for ultralight applications.