Anyone had a rod shipped from Asian Portal?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
PotatoLake
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Anyone had a rod shipped from Asian Portal?

Post by PotatoLake » Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:41 pm

I recently received a rod from Asian Portal that FedEx did a number on as it was snapped in half at my doorstep. Has anyone had any experiences with them and a broken rod? Do they offer refunds or replacements? I've contacted them, but have not heard back and did not see much on their site about this.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Anyone had a rod shipped from Asian Portal?

Post by reason162 » Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:45 pm

PotatoLake wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:41 pm
I recently received a rod from Asian Portal that FedEx did a number on as it was snapped in half at my doorstep. Has anyone had any experiences with them and a broken rod? Do they offer refunds or replacements? I've contacted them, but have not heard back and did not see much on their site about this.
I bought a rod from AP but via their ebay store - took photos of the package and broken rod, got refunded within 12 hours.

I was surprised they sent a rod in a cardboard box - not a tube, a rectangular box. Every rod I've gotten from Japan (JLS, digitaka and others) have come in thick PVC tubes.

PotatoLake
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by PotatoLake » Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:05 pm

reason162 wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:45 pm
PotatoLake wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:41 pm
I bought a rod from AP but via their ebay store - took photos of the package and broken rod, got refunded within 12 hours.

I was surprised they sent a rod in a cardboard box - not a tube, a rectangular box. Every rod I've gotten from Japan (JLS, digitaka and others) have come in thick PVC tubes.
That is very reassuring to hear, thank you for the quick reply. Yes, I was surprised as well, on their website they have a video about packing rods, how they fold it into a thick triangle. But this was not packed that way. I've ordered reels and lures from them, this was my first go at a rod. They have a great reputation and it sounds like they'll do me right.

4g63power
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 4g63power » Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:35 pm

I did once and they straight up shipped it only in daiwa factory cardboard and not a single piece of bubble wraps in it. Mine came without damaged but very sketchy regardless.

PotatoLake
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by PotatoLake » Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:53 pm

They replied back and told me they'd refund my money, which I appreciate. I just don't understand why they don't use something more structurally sound. Also, they shipped it FedEx, which I should have known I was in trouble when I saw that. Sad to be holding a beautiful Baby Plugging in my hand that's snapped in half.

evilcatfish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by evilcatfish » Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:18 am

Hmm...I was thinking about ordering a Steez Firewolf from them soon, makes me think I need to find another seller...

Thunderblack1984
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Thunderblack1984 » Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:36 am

Receiving rods in the mail with no packaging or in a box is a buzzkill. Who knows what they went through and then they break out of warranty or on the first few uses and you're out of luck.
Philippians 4:6

PotatoLake
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by PotatoLake » Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:04 pm

evilcatfish wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:18 am
Hmm...I was thinking about ordering a Steez Firewolf from them soon, makes me think I need to find another seller...
Yeah, I'd probably stick to only using them for lures and reels.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:02 am

Had a Fenwick BFS rod shipped from Asian Portal two years ago or so. FedEx and bubble wrap with no solid protection. Only company that has shipped a rod to me in that risky fashion.