Conquest BFS 2023

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Conquest BFS 2023

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:41 pm

I've got the Millionaire CT, a 2021 Conquest 100, and had an old 100 Conquest by accident (sent wrong reel). The 2017 Conquest BFS was based off of that reel, and from what I could tell it was very solid. Add that to Shimano's FTB, and a 32mm BFS spool, I wouldn't assume the original Conquest BFS was a bad reel. I do think the Millionaire is special too though, but at least for me, I'd say the Conquest is smoother. I'd be fine if Daiwa would just update the Millionaire, hell they can keep the same frame for me, just add the newer cut gears and other technology (clicking drag please). I think I'd pay the same for a new Millionaire with the same 30mm G1 SV spool and updates as I would for the upcoming Conquest BFS (which I have been very excited for).

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:32 pm

I have been very happy with the 17 conquest with KTF spool, which was made for a short while, and have little need to upgrade. I prefer the 17 conquest to the millionaire ct sv, which I also use with a KTF spool. The millionaire had not been on the market for long before japanese shops began to have it on sale. My impression, possibly flawed, has been that the millionaire did not go down well with japanese anglers...

kakaryan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by kakaryan » Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:58 pm

Dalleinf wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:32 pm
I have been very happy with the 17 conquest with KTF spool, which was made for a short while, and have little need to upgrade. I prefer the 17 conquest to the millionaire ct sv, which I also use with a KTF spool. The millionaire had not been on the market for long before japanese shops began to have it on sale. My impression, possibly flawed, has been that the millionaire did not go down well with japanese anglers...
Of course as it is so outdated, and that added ugly orange spacer to adpot smaller dia. spool doesn't go well with the whole design at all. [-( It probably is the least appealing Millionaire ever......

Any old Millionaire (and Monoblock) can be fished as baitfinesse reel by just simply popping a now so many avaiable 34mm dia baitfinesse spool in it without the need of adding ugly orange spacers.......

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:41 am

I thought the millionare "ct" was a rather good looking reel. I like the light metalic tones of the reel including the orange anodized spacers. Its the dark knobs and spool that bother me slightly. Throw some clear corkies and a silver spool on that thing and it's good to go. Maybe orange knob caps and a nut retainer too.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:26 am

I thought the Millionaire was ugly stock, but a matching lock plate (thanks HogSticker), and a 90mm handle helped some. The only thing I wish the Conquest had was a 90mm handle, and I plan on changing the one on the BFS version. I will say for actual fishing the Conquest palming/ergonomics come into play. That tiny sideplate just fits the hand better than the Millionaire and comes in handy when fighting a fish or working a lure...

BrettTRay
Angler
Angler

Post by BrettTRay » Sat Feb 18, 2023 4:25 am

kakaryan wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:32 am
BrettTRay wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:02 am
I hope the 23 Conquest is better than the 17 Conquest BFS. I’ve owned one for years and thought is was as good as it got until I bought a Millionaire CT 70. The 17 Conquest is literally a toy compared to the Millionaire. Just wish Daiwa would release a BFS Ryoga. If anyone wants to buy a 17 Conquest BFS with avail spool I know a guy🤣🤣
A toy? Please elaborate more......
The Millionaire CT is just a Millionaire with spacer to adopt a smaller dia. spool which the the platform itself is so outdated.....
I have owned most if not all of the best variants of this platform, naming I'ze Light, Ringa SSS and the Monoblock. They are still fine to today standard but the later Conquests are more advanced.
Do you not own the 17 Conquest BFS or at least that platform in 100 or 200 series reels? You must not because I do and have dissected every part on that reel and I can assure you without any doubt it is not built to withstand any sort of abuse or even daily wear for very long. The reel I own along with many others goes geary very very quickly and I’ve never fished nothing but 1/8oz plastics on it. 2nd is it’s full of plastic parts and put a little pressure on that levelwind guide and tell me that’s a good idea. 3rd is spool engineering with Shimano reels in general is absurd. They use a shaft through pinion design that is just plain stupid and they redesign every spool so that no spool will work on the next generations platform or any other models. Didn’t even know that was a thing till I made the unfortunate mistake of buying this reel and it being the first and only Shimano reel I ever owned. The only other Shimano thing I’ve purchased is a Shimano rod and it broke a month after buying it. It actually fell apart in my hands. If you hold the Millionaire in any iteration next to the conquest you are either blind or extremely touched in the head if you can’t see which one is gonna last for years. I really don’t know how to make it any simpler than that. It just is what it is. I own 3 2018 Ryogas and 1 silver ryoga that eats the lunch of any Conquest made including this current model. The only reason I could rationalize someone buying a conquest over a ryoga would be if needing a 300/400 size reel but I think I’d rather buy a 200/250/300 Daiwa Luna instead. With those you might have to change out the anti reverse bearing once but any human that can use a screwdriver or wrench can do that in 10 minutes for less than 10 bucks. Tell me if those Conquests are gonna last pulling deep cranks or swimbaits. I can assure you they won’t. Just look up the amount of people that’s had the gears blow out and get geary right after buying the reel although the Conquests don’t do it no where near like the other reels. Shimano is very aware of the issue which is why they added the extra bearing to the new Conquests but it goes much deeper than that. All it takes is having a Engineering or mechanical background, a digital caliper, and a few brain cells to see that the tolerance specs from Shimano is not up to Daiwa standards. Maybe the standards from Daiwa 10-15 years ago? If I didn’t like Daiwa I wouldn’t be looking to go to Shimano next. They are way on down the line in my book. It would be JDM Abu Garcia after Daiwa

BrettTRay
Angler
Angler

Post by BrettTRay » Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:38 am

kakaryan wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:58 pm
Dalleinf wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:32 pm
Of course as it is so outdated, and that added ugly orange spacer to adpot smaller dia. spool doesn't go well with the whole design at all. [-( It probably is the least appealing Millionaire ever......

Any old Millionaire (and Monoblock) can be fished as baitfinesse reel by just simply popping a now so many avaiable 34mm dia baitfinesse spool in it without the need of adding ugly orange spacers.......
Outdated? What are you talking about? I question if you even own the Millionaire CT because there isn’t a part on there that was on the old Millionaires or the Luna’s. It has the SV spool technology, new gears and gear ratios, handle, drag star, etc. It’s all been updated except the round frame. I’ll bet you any amount of money you want to loose that any two of my Millionaire CT’s will stay smoother running reels long after that Conquest BFS is whining like a transfer case out of 40’s Jeep.

tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tincanary » Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:22 am

BrettTRay wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:38 am
Outdated? What are you talking about? I question if you even own the Millionaire CT because there isn’t a part on there that was on the old Millionaires or the Luna’s. It has the SV spool technology, new gears and gear ratios, handle, drag star, etc. It’s all been updated except the round frame. I’ll bet you any amount of money you want to loose that any two of my Millionaire CT’s will stay smoother running reels long after that Conquest BFS is whining like a transfer case out of 40’s Jeep.
Owning both the Millionaire CT and Conquest BFS, the Millionaire is unquestionably smoother and quieter by comparison and is even plenty BFS friendly with the SV700S spool. It's for sure a sleeper reel overshadowed by the competition, but that's because it was never hyped up. Most of my reels are for sale or will be at some point, all except my Millionaires and small Ambassadeurs. I know people have been put off by the 10 point brake vs the 20 point in its low profile cousin the Alphas, but I've never found it problematic. It does what I need it to do and works equally well across all techniques and weights from 2g on up.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:42 am

Someone should have started a 2023 Millionaire thread...

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:43 am

Aquaftm45 wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:42 am
Someone should have started a 2023 Millionaire thread...
Haha...

This said I would have kept my Millionaire CT SV if it were reasonably possible to mod it to accept a 34 mm spool.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

2por
Angler
Angler

Post by 2por » Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:34 pm

I have no experience with round reels, but I will admit that the "classical" look of round reels has grown on me quite a bit. The Millionaire CT SV looks so nice to me. The CalCon 17 looks very nice too. That being said, I do NOT like how the 2023 CalCon no longer has circle on circle design on the handle sideplate. I assume there was a reason for the change; however, to me, it ruins the round reel appeal in terms of cosmetics.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:11 pm

I have the want's again for a round reel and I think that I am eventually going to educate myself on the old Abu's because Shimano has pissed me off. First off, I can agree with the geary feeling in the Conquest. I have owned my share of Conquests 50's in the past and one of them unexpectedly developed a geary feeling and it was actually a case of bad gears. It had not seen that much use so in my humble opinion, I think it was shipped with not a whole Lotta grease on the gears. Of course that is just my uneducated opinion but I can't think of any other reason they would've went bad. As far as Millionnaire goes, something about it just doesn't do anything for me and that's OK because you're not gonna like everything made. That being said, I saw a really nice 01 Conquest 100 on the Japanese eBay Site and the price is excellent and it would already be mine but I went to Plat's website and Shimano doesn't even have a gear set available for that reel anymore. I'm talk in the drive gear and the pinion gear. Why buy a reel if you can't even get spare parts for it so I said screw it. Then I found an absolutely beautiful Calcutta 100XT with the box and all of the paperwork on the same website and then I went back to Plat to check and see if I could buy parts for it, nothing. I think that totally sucks that these reels have not been out of production for that long of a time and there's no spare parts available that matter. So what I think I'm going to do is educate myself on the old Abu's and buy one of those. :(

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:54 am

John G wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:11 pm
I have the want's again for a round reel and I think that I am eventually going to educate myself on the old Abu's because Shimano has pissed me off. First off, I can agree with the geary feeling in the Conquest. I have owned my share of Conquests 50's in the past and one of them unexpectedly developed a geary feeling and it was actually a case of bad gears. It had not seen that much use so in my humble opinion, I think it was shipped with not a whole Lotta grease on the gears. Of course that is just my uneducated opinion but I can't think of any other reason they would've went bad. As far as Millionnaire goes, something about it just doesn't do anything for me and that's OK because you're not gonna like everything made. That being said, I saw a really nice 01 Conquest 100 on the Japanese eBay Site and the price is excellent and it would already be mine but I went to Plat's website and Shimano doesn't even have a gear set available for that reel anymore. I'm talk in the drive gear and the pinion gear. Why buy a reel if you can't even get spare parts for it so I said screw it. Then I found an absolutely beautiful Calcutta 100XT with the box and all of the paperwork on the same website and then I went back to Plat to check and see if I could buy parts for it, nothing. I think that totally sucks that these reels have not been out of production for that long of a time and there's no spare parts available that matter. So what I think I'm going to do is educate myself on the old Abu's and buy one of those. :(
This is why I haven't replaced my 14 CQ 200 with a newer model yet...this 4.8 brass MM went buzzy on me being the least oft used reel in my arsenal and with nothing over 1 oz. I even used my standard TDZ US Trail, old PT33SH reels, Zillions, Z2020/Z200, Millionaires, all harder and more often and with heavier weights and none had gear failure.

This said, the new CQ 200 HG and another Bantam HG are still on the radar so long as I can secure another set of gears for it.

It's like dating a super model... beautiful, high maintenance, and sometimes breaks down unexpectedly and with no repair parts available. Lol.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tincanary » Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:15 am

John G wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:11 pm
So what I think I'm going to do is educate myself on the old Abu's and buy one of those. :(
Feel free to pick my brain, these are my jam. Now for the difficult thing with old ABU reels, they stopped producing parts for pre-1997 models just a few years ago. The good news, millions of them were made so parts are still easy to get in terms of the 4000 to 6000 sizes. With the smaller reels, namely the 1500C/2500C and 1600C/2600C, you will pay a premium for OEM parts since they are so highly sought after now. Many companies make parts for these now, you can get every single part aftermarket for these reels save for the pinion yoke. If you want a deal on a 1500C or 2500C, check your local antique shops, they almost always have something worth getting. I've bought 7 2500Cs from antique shops over the last year and didn't pay more than $75 for any one of them, most were in the $30 to $50 range. I harvested the parts I needed and resold the rest and made a good profit. I just wanted the gear sets, pinion yokes, and brake collars. Those pinion yokes now go for $20+, when they were still made a few years back it was a $3 part. Side plates I was getting $50 to $100 per set for depending on condition, $50 for brake plates, $75 for frames, $30 for spools, $40 for worm gears, and so on. Most people buying those parts were probably looking to restore something they already had. The worm gear tabs are easily broken during removal if you aren't careful, so those tended to sell the fastest followed by the side plates.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:44 am

tincanary wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:15 am

Feel free to pick my brain, these are my jam. Now for the difficult thing with old ABU reels, they stopped producing parts for pre-1997 models just a few years ago. The good news, millions of them were made so parts are still easy to get in terms of the 4000 to 6000 sizes. With the smaller reels, namely the 1500C/2500C and 1600C/2600C, you will pay a premium for OEM parts since they are so highly sought after now. Many companies make parts for these now, you can get every single part aftermarket for these reels save for the pinion yoke. If you want a deal on a 1500C or 2500C, check your local antique shops, they almost always have something worth getting. I've bought 7 2500Cs from antique shops over the last year and didn't pay more than $75 for any one of them, most were in the $30 to $50 range. I harvested the parts I needed and resold the rest and made a good profit. I just wanted the gear sets, pinion yokes, and brake collars. Those pinion yokes now go for $20+, when they were still made a few years back it was a $3 part. Side plates I was getting $50 to $100 per set for depending on condition, $50 for brake plates, $75 for frames, $30 for spools, $40 for worm gears, and so on. Most people buying those parts were probably looking to restore something they already had. The worm gear tabs are easily broken during removal if you aren't careful, so those tended to sell the fastest followed by the side plates.
Thank you for the advice. I haven't said anything but I have admired your Abu collection in the Show N Tell section. I'm sure that I will have some questions so I will definitely send you a PM. Thank you