Conquest BFS 2023

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Conquest BFS 2023

Post by John G » Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:58 pm

ras wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:54 pm
Thanks for the reply. Does it take into account that Avail makes magnetic Microcast brakes for 21 Conquest? I'm curios about performance with those brakes installed.
I have added Avail magnetic brakes to some of my 12Aldebaran BFS XG's and my Aldebaran MGL30 and I like them a lot. Not sure about the Conquest but I like what I have.

John2204
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by John2204 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:26 pm

2por wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:43 pm
Can someone explain the hype for the Conquest BFS reels? From what I understand, the gear, drag, level wind, and break systems are basically the same as the current low-profile reel designs. The only difference I see, really, is the frame shape and material.

In contrast, the older Abu round reels I’ve seen on some of the Japanese stream fishing videos seem to function differently, specifically the level wind moving as the line feeds out on a cast and the way spool gets put into free spool. I’d imagine the breaks and drag function differently as well.

I didn’t grow up fishing round reels so pardon the ignorance. Just going by what videos I see. Is the hype on round reels just due to the old aesthetics?
The main reason is that the round reels have more bearings and smoother gears. I have several Metaniums and a 22 Bantam, they are great reels, fantastic casters and all that. However when I got a Conquest DC 200 I was blown away by how much smoother the round reels are. Then I picked up 2 Conquest DC 100’s and I just love them, they don’t cast any better than the Bantam or Metanium, but just the solid feel and how smooth they are just sold me.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:20 pm

The forged aluminium must absorb the mechanical resonance in them, other than the cast aluminium frames.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:35 am

Slazmo wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:20 pm
The forged aluminium must absorb the mechanical resonance in them, other than the cast aluminium frames.
Most round reels are machined from a single piece of metal... forging is how a something like a sword is made by heating and reheating the metal and pounding it into shape. :)
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tincanary » Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:11 am

2por wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:43 pm
Can someone explain the hype for the Conquest BFS reels? From what I understand, the gear, drag, level wind, and break systems are basically the same as the current low-profile reel designs. The only difference I see, really, is the frame shape and material.

In contrast, the older Abu round reels I’ve seen on some of the Japanese stream fishing videos seem to function differently, specifically the level wind moving as the line feeds out on a cast and the way spool gets put into free spool. I’d imagine the breaks and drag function differently as well.

I didn’t grow up fishing round reels so pardon the ignorance. Just going by what videos I see. Is the hype on round reels just due to the old aesthetics?
Pretty much. I love round reels, there are no longer any low profile reels in my possession, got rid of them all. Rounds are my preference; the higher quality feel, the beautifully crafted components, and the substantial feel in hand do it for me. They're the Rolexes of fishing reels. The Millionaire, Ryoga, Calcutta Conquest, Morrum, and even the Ambassadeur for as antiquated as it is, showcase the true craftsmanship a manufacturer is capable of. These reels aren't often the most expensive products the manufacturer has to offer, but they are still statement pieces to a degree in that their classic looks remain timeless no matter how many years or even decades have passed. Round reels are a lot like classic cars, in that they have class and character whereas the other stuff looks like an electric shaver. Now from a functionality standpoint, the newer low profile stuff is where cutting edge technologies are introduced like your more advanced spools and braking systems, but that usually works its way to the round reels at some point especially in the case of Daiwa and Shimano.

As to the small Ambassadeurs, those are my favorites. They use a synchronized level wind to keep line laid evenly on the spool. With the drag, it's the same as any other baitcaster, just carbon, felt, or teflon discs sandwiched between metal washers. This was pioneered by ABU back in 1952 and is still the golden standard in drag design and composition. They also use a pure centrifugal brake which is very effective for all but the very lightest of baits. Both my 2500Cs and my 1600C IAR are way less fussy to cast than my newer stuff. 2 of the smallest brake shoes, zero spool tension, and they will cast from 1/16 up trouble free without any further adjustments whether I'm doing short range pitches or having to put it out there. With my Millionaires and my Calcutta Conquest BFS, I often find myself adjusting the braking according to the conditions, the Abu needs no such adjusting. Set it and forget it. Where most people knock the synchronized level wind is that it does hinder casting distance to a degree, but not a troublesome amount and when river fishing it isn't a concern in the first place.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:22 am

Well bad news on the Conquest. Our favorite distance is everything tester on YouTube just posted a video showing the Conquest having aluminum gears. They also are not tier 1 micro module gears. They look like the identical potted gears from the Aldebaran BFS. If I get one now I'd hope for a better price. If not I'd rather have the 2017 model for what I do.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:33 am

Cal wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:35 am
Slazmo wrote:
Most round reels are machined from a single piece of metal... forging is how a something like a sword is made by heating and reheating the metal and pounding it into shape. :)
The frame is forged and machined to tolerance, all Calcutta's have been. You know a cast frame in comparison the Cardiff - but even that's good at hiding noise.
Attachments
Screenshots_2023-01-25-05-29-59.png
Screenshots_2023-01-25-05-29-59.png (15.82 KiB) Viewed 1963 times

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:55 am

That’s interesting… they must forge the bar stock

Oh wait… cold forged… I was thinking hot forged.. carry on 😆😆
Cal, Managing Editor

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:30 pm

They must do multiple passes and have some sort of 3D process now. I had a picture of the process of the Calcutta B series from way back when, it was a multi pass system and showed the removal of the inner spool void and stamping etc.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:52 pm

Slazmo wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:30 pm
They must do multiple passes and have some sort of 3D process now. I had a picture of the process of the Calcutta B series from way back when, it was a multi pass system and showed the removal of the inner spool void and stamping etc.
Yeah… the tooling must be insane… here I was picturing in my head, somebody holding a molten piece of metal trying to hammer it into the shape of a reel 😆
Cal, Managing Editor

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:30 pm

Well it's the same process of the main gear in their spinning reels, the aluminium is quiet ductile (for the lack of a better word at 0730am in the morning) when it's being squeezed between two immovable object and it's associated tonnages.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:44 pm

Cal wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:52 pm
Slazmo wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:30 pm
Yeah… the tooling must be insane… here I was picturing in my head, somebody holding a molten piece of metal trying to hammer it into the shape of a reel 😆
That would make an awesome promo video 😂
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:09 am

Cal wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:35 am
Slazmo wrote:
The aluminum they machine the reel out of has undergone a process of pressing the molecules of the alloy closer together to make a stronger more dense material than cast through extrusion. Its sort of like a forgeing.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:11 am

LowRange wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:09 am

The aluminum they machine the reel out of has undergone a process of pressing the molecules of the alloy closer together to make a stronger more dense material than cast through extrusion. Its sort of like a forgeing.
Yah... we went through that kind of in the follow on comments :) ... all good :)
Cal, Managing Editor

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:45 am

Interesting; cold & hot forging of aluminum:
https://www.artisanmake.com/blog/what-i ... rts-7075t6
I learned something today :)