Fun new EG rods and other goodies

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
StymoDe
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Fun new EG rods and other goodies

Post by StymoDe » Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:00 pm

Super informative! =D>
Hard to imagine a TKLC-71MH SS sitting in the dark for good...the very first time I came across an EG rod was the exceptional review on this rod by Cal
Sometimes I do wonder what rods/reels would look like 10 years from now...perhaps a robot is all we need lol

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:21 am

StymoDe wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:00 pm
Super informative! =D>
Hard to imagine a TKLC-71MH SS sitting in the dark for good...the very first time I came across an EG rod was the exceptional review on this rod by Cal
Sometimes I do wonder what rods/reels would look like 10 years from now...perhaps a robot is all we need lol
Cyborg fishing will be the death of enjoyment and passion in our blessed and beautiful pastime, hope and pray and fight against it ever happening.

The tools and application of fishing, will not ever change at it's base foundation of principles and practice...manufacturing process and "evolution" of materials, yes, but we are born, live, and pass on as we have for hundreds of Eons.

Sorry for the Zen bird walk.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

City17Banner
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by City17Banner » Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:56 am

dragon1 wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:21 am
StymoDe wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:00 pm
Super informative! =D>
Cyborg fishing will be the death of enjoyment and passion in our blessed and beautiful pastime, hope and pray and fight against it ever happening.

The tools and application of fishing, will not ever change at it's base foundation of principles and practice...manufacturing process and "evolution" of materials, yes, but we are born, live, and pass on as we have for hundreds of Eons.

Sorry for the Zen bird walk.
I agree with your sentiments regarding fishing. It fits into my overall philosophy of life as captured by Mahatma Gandhi: "Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

I see fishing as a perpetual journey of discovery where every day is an opportunity to learn more about myself and the ever-elusive smallmouth bass and the natural ecosystem that surrounds and encompasses us all. To make the most of this grand adventure, I seek the best means to enjoy the bounty of nature, while always remembering that fishing in of itself serves to enrichen the spirit and soul first and foremost.

To me that is the essence of why I fish, to experience new vistas and learn the intricate secrets of the natural world while ensuring the future for yet untold generations to come, by always treating the fish as the most important link in this generational pageant we call existence.

Please have a great day!
2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS

jprice92
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jprice92 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:45 am

City17Banner wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:12 pm
Chode wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:59 pm
City17Banner wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:12 am
Here's something to tide everyone over until the new EG Super Stallion GT3RS actually is available!

I present the EG Super Stallion RS Aurora Edition that just showed up on my doorstep late yesterday afternoon after waiting far too long for it to arrive!

What a beauty =D>
Thank you sir! I'm considering getting the EG Cobra Aurora but I already have two Cobras (a GT and A Grand Cobra RS) that I use for spinnerbaits now and I just got three more EG Couger Elite 7 casting rods (one RS and two GT) for my jerkbaits, so I will just wait patiently for the new War Gazelle and SS GT3RS rods to come out. :big grin:
How do you like the cougar elite for jerkbaits? I’ve been considering getting one for jerksbaits and cranks but on the evergreen site they seem to recommend the cobra model for jerkbaits.

City17Banner
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by City17Banner » Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:37 am

jprice92 wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:45 am
City17Banner wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:12 pm
Chode wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:59 pm
City17Banner wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:12 am
Here's something to tide everyone over until the new EG Super Stallion GT3RS actually is available!

I present the EG Super Stallion RS Aurora Edition that just showed up on my doorstep late yesterday afternoon after waiting far too long for it to arrive!

What a beauty =D>
Thank you sir! I'm considering getting the EG Cobra Aurora but I already have two Cobras (a GT and A Grand Cobra RS) that I use for spinnerbaits now and I just got three more EG Couger Elite 7 casting rods (one RS and two GT) for my jerkbaits, so I will just wait patiently for the new War Gazelle and SS GT3RS rods to come out. :big grin:
How do you like the cougar elite for jerkbaits? I’ve been considering getting one for jerksbaits and cranks but on the evergreen site they seem to recommend the cobra model for jerkbaits.
As always, the answer depends on the type and style of fishing you prefer to engage in, the Cobra and Grand Cobra rods were designed primarily as shore fishing, or Okapari style casting rods and the shorter overall 6'"6 rod length denotes this specific purpose. The Couger Elite 7 (RS and GT) rods were designed to be "tournament" style or boat fishing casting rods with a commensurate longer rod length. I can say that both rods are well suited for fishing typical JDM 1/2oz jerkbaits such as the MB Vision 110, Jackall Rerange 110, LC Lightning Pointer 110, DUO Realis 110SP, and the slightly heavier 3/5oz OSP Varuna 110SP jerkbaits.

The key difference for me between the two rods is that the Couger Elite 7 has an extra-fast action which allows me to better manipulate the jerkbait without "over-working" the lure as can happen if the jerkbait rod taper/action is too slow. Please bear in mind that my preference for mainline while jerkbait fishing is 20# YGK SS112 sinking braid/super ester along with an FC leader tied with an FG connection knot so rod taper and precision of movement are key considerations for me. I suspect that if you prefer to use FC as a mainline for your jerkbait fishing sessions, the slower action/taper of the Cobra will be a better fit for you.

From a rod power standpoint, both rods are rated as true medium powered rods and can present larger and heavier jerkbaits such as the 3/4oz Jackall Rerange 130SP or 3/4oz MB Vision 110 MAX LBO, but I usually prefer to use my EG Dire Wolf Wild 7 RS for these larger jerkbaits as well as the much larger 1oz MB Kanata Ayu and 1-1/16oz LC Pointer 158SP lures. Despite being labeled as a heavy spinnerbait and chatterbait rod, I have found the new (for 2022) Dire Wolf Wild 7 to be an excellent casting rod for presenting these larger jerkbaits as well as the aforementioned lures.

For crankbaits, my recommendation would favor the longer Couger Elite 7 over the shorter Cobra GT, but again that depends on your preference for mainline/leader, since I only use sinking braid/FC leader, my crankbait casting rod aspirations tend to favor more forgiving composite rods such as the Megabass Valkyrie casting models, or the S-Glass bespoke Sedition White Falcon crankbait rods.

In summary, it truly depends on how you prefer to fish with the same types of lures mentioned above and what types of water conditions you face that will determine which EG casting rod may be the optimal rod selection for a successful day of fishing.

Please have a great day!

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:06 pm

The Spider Spin seems to be a unicorn rod I have been looking for. I do a lot of drop shotting in milfoil.

rocketsurgeon
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by rocketsurgeon » Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:14 pm

Just picked up the Orion Throne, looking forward to trying the Balaming technique after the trout plants at some of our lakes. Mounted my Deps Z2020, seems like it was made for it.

City17Banner
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by City17Banner » Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:40 pm

rocketsurgeon wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:14 pm
Just picked up the Orion Throne, looking forward to trying the Balaming technique after the trout plants at some of our lakes. Mounted my Deps Z2020, seems like it was made for it.
That's awesome sir! I think if something untoward ever happened to my EG Grand Stallion GT-X, The Orion Throne would be my next choice for presenting my large JDM glide baits.

Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cranky » Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:29 am

Spider Spin is the clear winner for me. Between this and the Steez RC 68MH it’s nice to see a JDM trend emerging toward some heavier spinning rod options.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:37 am

Cranky wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:29 am
Spider Spin is the clear winner for me. Between this and the Steez RC 68MH it’s nice to see a JDM trend emerging toward some heavier spinning rod options.
It looks like it won't be released until next fall or winter. At least it gives me time to save my nickels.

evilcatfish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by evilcatfish » Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:29 pm

Anybody taken the plunge on the war gazelle yet? Something about this rod really has my attention. I’m my mind, I’m thinking it’s like a shorter, more versatile black Raven extreme. I’ve get a px type R that needs a partner, and the war gazelle may be it

City17Banner
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by City17Banner » Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:59 pm

evilcatfish wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:29 pm
Anybody taken the plunge on the war gazelle yet? Something about this rod really has my attention. I’m my mind, I’m thinking it’s like a shorter, more versatile black Raven extreme. I’ve get a px type R that needs a partner, and the war gazelle may be it
Yes, I got lucky yesterday and got one of the last ones that were shipped to JDMTackleHeaven.com earlier this week. I'm assuming I will see it on my doorstep late next week or early the following week. I plan to match it up with the new Conquest BFS reel if that shows up before the start of the fishing season in mid-April for finesse use.
For all other presentations, I'll use one of my Conquest 100 DC reels.

If it's anything like my old school EG Temujin TMJC-63ML Gazelle SGS (Super Grand Slam) but less prone to breakage, I'll finally have a "shorty" JDM casting rod capable of presenting my favorite topwater lure, the Deps Buzzjet! I'm sure it will be really useful for side-arming underneath overhanging tree limbs and shoreline foliage too, but we'll see in a couple of months when the ice actually melts, and we have open water. This morning, when I took some of my extended family members ice fishing, we had a solid 39" of ice on my cabin lake/flowage basin.

I have both my fingers and toes crossed that we will have an early spring this year! :doh: ](*,) :lol:

Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Firstoutfisher » Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:05 pm

Just bumping this because at this point every new evergreen bass rod for 2023 has been released. If anyone got any of the new models hopefully we could have a discussion. Also, I did read a rumor about a possible Kaleido BFS rod using the fuji TCH reel seat coming in 2024

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Sat Dec 16, 2023 5:58 am

Could have trimmed the reel seat threads on a made to order rod ... Kills it for me

evilcatfish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by evilcatfish » Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:11 am

I’m waiting to see some info on the new super stallion, thought I’d read early 2024 release somewhere. Holding off on the dire wolf wild 7 for this