Daiwa SS Air TW

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Daiwa SS Air TW

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:49 pm

LowRange wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:27 pm
Neat reel but that mag dial can't be adjusted while palming. You will have to flip the reel over to make adjustments. It also looks like something I would see on an Aliexpress reel. I'm guessing they went with this arrangement to allow for more room to accommodate the SV Boost Air spool. Hurry up and make an SS SV70 Boost already!
This is what I was thinking, I mentioned before wanting a 30mm G1 SV version, but was reminded that is essentially the Steez CT. I forgot about that reel (mainly because of the price), but in my head I was imagining a more affordable version, kind of how the SS/SV used the Steez frame but lesser materials so it was more affordable.

Just strange that they have another BFS reel. I'd like a new Alphas CT (30mm) before these reels, or even a shallow spooled 1000S Zillion (new shallow BOOST).

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:48 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:49 pm
LowRange wrote:
Neat reel but that mag dial can't be adjusted while palming. You will have to flip the reel over to make adjustments. It also looks like something I would see on an Aliexpress reel. I'm guessing they went with this arrangement to allow for more room to accommodate the SV Boost Air spool. Hurry up and make an SS SV70 Boost already!
This is what I was thinking, I mentioned before wanting a 30mm G1 SV version, but was reminded that is essentially the Steez CT. I forgot about that reel (mainly because of the price), but in my head I was imagining a more affordable version, kind of how the SS/SV used the Steez frame but lesser materials so it was more affordable.

Just strange that they have another BFS reel. I'd like a new Alphas CT (30mm) before these reels, or even a shallow spooled 1000S Zillion (new shallow BOOST).
There already is a shallow spool sv boost zillion its called Silverwolf and that spool is shallower than the SLP works 1012 SV G1 spool. I added some Hedgehog BFS bearings to mine and put it to use on a L power rod.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:38 am

BARRAMANIAC wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:48 pm
DirtyD64 wrote:
LowRange wrote:

There already is a shallow spool sv boost zillion its called Silverwolf and that spool is shallower than the SLP works 1012 SV G1 spool. I added some Hedgehog BFS bearings to mine and put it to use on a L power rod.
Yeppers and Goldrod uses his for same type applications...I am reading the Silver Wolf capabilities akin to the OG Zillion PE with better low end capabilities and of course vastly shallower spool.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:27 am

BARRAMANIAC wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:48 pm
DirtyD64 wrote:
LowRange wrote:

Forgot about that one too! I considered trying one for a bit, but worry about using fluorocarbon with that spool. I run strictly fluorocarbon other than spinning reels and frogs. Just not real heavy cover or big fish where I go. Now for light braid, it is just something I haven't accustomed to yet. Used 8lb for a DIY BFS spool, but had management issues with it and the 30lb I used for a season of topwater.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:00 am

SSS wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:20 pm
Isn't it insane how cool new reels can be from Daiwa when they're not based on the dull and boring as hell Tatulas? Maybe Daiwa saw a massive success with higher end reels like the Zillion, so now they're confident on focusing more than just budget trash that is being regurgitated for almost a decade. Really hoping that the Tatula Illness is going away. Its time, Daiwa
I talked to a Daiwa rep the other day that I haven't seen in ages. The Tatula isn't going anywhere. He said it has been Daiwa's single most successful series ever in company history, and that's worldwide. Bottom line drives business decisions, not a peculiar little corner of the internet. ;) Complaining about what we don't like about mainstream gear is part of our constitution here at TT. However, we are the minority report in the fishing industry. We can split hairs with the best of them! :lol: Even with massive marketing efforts, the Tatula line wouldn't be the success it is without being an overall solid product lineup. I have a couple myself and have owned several others. I've had zero complaints, aside from the width of the original Tatula platform.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:39 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:00 am
SSS wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:20 pm
Isn't it insane how cool new reels can be from Daiwa when they're not based on the dull and boring as hell Tatulas? Maybe Daiwa saw a massive success with higher end reels like the Zillion, so now they're confident on focusing more than just budget trash that is being regurgitated for almost a decade. Really hoping that the Tatula Illness is going away. Its time, Daiwa
I talked to a Daiwa rep the other day that I haven't seen in ages. The Tatula isn't going anywhere. He said it has been Daiwa's single most successful series ever in company history, and that's worldwide. Bottom line drives business decisions, not a peculiar little corner of the internet. ;) Complaining about what we don't like about mainstream gear is part of our constitution here at TT. However, we are the minority report in the fishing industry. We can split hairs with the best of them! :lol: Even with massive marketing efforts, the Tatula line wouldn't be the success it is without being an overall solid product lineup. I have a couple myself and have owned several others. I've had zero complaints, aside from the width of the original Tatula platform.
For sure. I am not expecting Tatulas to go anywhere, but when all their new announcements are 80% focused on one frame, a frame i despise since the very beginning, how am i supposed to be excited for anything new from Daiwa? This is why its refreshing seeing them release multiple new zillions and alphases since 2021, and now a new SS, and the crazy I-Phone of reels, the Z reboot.

Pastrmka
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Pastrmka » Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:23 am

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:05 am

I think I have to have this one.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:00 am

I thought that there is just sv Boost, but this SS Air seems complete new design. Inductor cup is obviously orientated to different direction, and magnet ring will go inside to spool.

Slary
Angler
Angler

Post by Slary » Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:17 am

What might be the point?

From Daiwa illustry I can see:
Spool axle is shorten than before, it is good.
Inductor cup is not moving so far than before, it is good.
Palming plate is 1,4mm nearer to rod's center point, is it good?

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:53 am

I know I am excited for this one. I think Daiwa is trying to do us right by "updating" the Steez AIR TW of sorts. Many issues with the Steez AIR TW gears leads me to believe this is their redemption.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:40 pm

Plastic engine cover and cast control collar is absolutely destroying the looks of this reel to me.

"The full metal housing uses magnesium for the frame and gear side plate, and aluminum for the set plate"
That is interesting.

Now i wonder if this will be the new mag force braking system they'll be moving all their newer reels toward. All our custom 34mm spools will go bye bye.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:28 pm

Slary wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:17 am
What might be the point?
I think the point is to make the best Ultralight casting reel.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:53 pm

Did something change at Daiwa since 2020-2021? I love how they're pushing tech in the last couple of years instead of focusing their whole brand on Tatulas.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:06 pm

28 mm spool…

Translated from the website using my browser:

DAIWA Bait Finesse goes to a new area

Jumping evolution in the 10th year
The male "SS AIR TW" of the bait finesse machine that was reborn for the first time in 10 years. The compact body inherits the fearless appearance of black x red, and it is equipped with the brake system "SS MAGFORCE" born from a completely new idea and DAIWA technology, which has been well received in recent years. The revolutionary machine of DAIWA Bait Finesse Reel, where you can certainly feel the evolution of 10 years, was born here.
Evolution is largely two points. It is an unprecedented castability with the newly developed brake system "SS MAGFORCE" and the basic performance by installing TWS and HYPERDRIVE DESIGN as standard.
The new brake system not only improves castability, but also contributes to the compactness of the body. The body design and brake setting include the father of Bait Finesse, K.T.F. The representative, Yukihiro Sawamura, participated. The most important thing in fishing areas that practice bait finesse is to achieve both pitching and casting at a high level. It is worth mentioning that it is extremely stress-free and stable castability released from a compact form. It can be said that it is a new frontier reached by the synergy between DAIWA, which has been polishing the magnetic brake for many years, and Mr. Sawamura, who looks at the front line every day.
Comparison of induct rotor parts
About 14% small diameter
About 25% weight reduction
Both are values comparing 20STEEZ AIR TW and 23SS AIR TW

Functions of SS MAGFORCE

The biggest evolution of SS MAGFORCE can be said to be the structural revolution of the variable inductor part. The site (= fishing spot) where anglers use bait fineness reels is a winding dirt road on the road. And the conventional bait finesse machine is like running a winding road with a truck tire (induct rotor) on a light weight sports car (spool). If the tires are large for the vehicle, there is no small turn for handling, and the response tends to be delayed even if you step on the accelerator or brake.
On the other hand, SS MAGFORCE has an image of wearing small diameter tires that match lightweight sports cars. In continuous curves, it has a small turn and demonstrates an excellent response to accelerators and brakes. The "immediate response" of the brakes, which can run through the winding road quickly and reliably, is the biggest feature of SS MAGFORCE.
The characteristics of SS MAGFORCE can be said to be "resistant to bad conditions" or "having a wide pocket" that matches various anglers and various situations. Conventionally, the bait finesse machine could decide the low trajectory cast to the back of the cover with Summing together if the angler's ability was excellent. However, high-precision casts are not easily decided every time. Affected by the unexpected force of the angler and the change of the wind, if you raise the dial to avoid trouble, the last stretch will be lost.
By balancing troubleless and castability, conventional machines were often used around 8 of the 20th stage of the dial. From there, whether it was raised or lowered, it was short on the obi and long on the sushi, and as a result, it can be said that the dial options were quite narrow.
However, the combination of the strong braking force of the previous model and the responsive spool unit of the SS MAGFORCE has widened the dial width that can be used safe and comfortably. If an angler who is used to a conventional bait finesse machine casts with the conventional input, dials 8 to 10 will fit as before. On the other hand, if you are an angler who can make a stable cast without force, the line is extremely difficult to float from the spool even if the dial is lowered considerably. It depends on the ability of the angler, but if it is a lure with low air resistance, even if you wind the fluorocarbon line 45 meters, the dial 2 will be in the practical range. On the other hand, if you increase the brakes and set it to around dial 15, you can easily perform even no-summing skipping.
In this way, SS AIR TW is easy to make the best setting according to the habit and ability of your cast, situation and the wind resistance that the lure receives in the range of dials 2 to 15. The wideness of this adjustment width shows high aptitude for the use of small diameter PE lines that are different in weights from floro and nylon. In the case of PE line, you just need to set the dial about 60% of the dial value when using fluoro as a guide and fine-tune it based on that.
Once you get used to handling this reel, I want you to lower the dial without hesitation. The lightest and lowest inertia Φ28mm spool in DAIWA history is the key to opening a new door. SS AIR TW will definitely lead users to the new area of bait finesse spreading on the other side.