Daiwa SS Air TW

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Daiwa SS Air TW

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:16 pm

SSS wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:40 pm
Plastic engine cover and cast control collar is absolutely destroying the looks of this reel to me.

"The full metal housing uses magnesium for the frame and gear side plate, and aluminum for the set plate"
That is interesting.

Now i wonder if this will be the new mag force braking system they'll be moving all their newer reels toward. All our custom 34mm spools will go bye bye.
Yeah, I don't care for the dull plastic engine covers on these newer Daiwa reels. Kinda kills the vibe for me. On this new reel, the gold T Wing is a bit of a sore eye as well. Should have been black imo.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:12 am

Autotranslation from https://www.daiwa.com/jp/fishing/item/r ... index.html under "Read More:
Inside story of SS AIR TW
“It can be gripped compactly and stably enables high-precision low-trajectory casting without force.” The goals in the
 development of SS MAGFORCE were “realization of comfortable casting performance with a compact swing” and “suitability for anglers’ abilities and applications.” 2 points of "a wide range of responsiveness". In other words, to achieve a comfortable and smooth casting performance unique to bait finesse, without any trouble in casting from overhead to skipping. And it is equipped with a wide brake adjustment range according to the angler's ability, application, and situation.
 However, in order to achieve this performance with 28mm, which is the golden diameter of the AIR bait finesse spool, it was no longer possible to achieve this performance by fine-tuning the details. While maintaining strength at Φ28mm, we promote weight reduction of the spool unit and realize further low inertia (low inertia). To that end, the magnet structure must be fundamentally reconsidered. In developing the SS MAGFORCE, DAIWA decided to focus on the “two core parts” of the magnet structure and the induct rotor.
 DAIWA's induct rotor has a unique structure that strokes according to the rotation of the spool and changes the strength of the brake for each cast. Braking is kept to a minimum during low-rotation casting such as pitching, and strong braking is applied by making a large stroke during full casting. Pitching and casting are both achieved by the function of this induct rotor that changes the brake with the same dial. Also, during full casting, when the spool rotation speed rises sharply, you can apply a strong brake to prevent trouble, and when the spool rotation drops in line with the lure stall in the latter half, you can weaken the brake and get the last stretch. This is another advantage of the variable structure.
 While there are many benefits like this, the induct rotor was actually an obstacle to the further evolution of the bait finesse machine. Compared to the evolution of low inertia in the spool winding structure (bobbin), the induct rotor, which has to match the size of the magnet structure, has been known to lead to low inertia, but it has not been possible to reduce the weight and diameter. I was without
 In other words, the only way to reduce the inertia of the induct rotor was to change the magnet structure. The magnet structure, which maintains exactly the same braking effect as before, has been miniaturized to fit within the spool winding structure (bobbin). As a result, we have achieved further miniaturization and weight reduction of the induct rotor, which has been a long-standing issue.
 The total weight of the spool unit incorporating this new induct rotor is only 5.8g.
 Here, the lightest and lowest inertia Φ28mm spool unit in the history of DAIWA bait reel was completed. The entire unit is about 9% lighter than before and has a lower inertia of 7% or more, so the performance of the DAIWA bait finesse machine was able to raise another stage.
 The miniaturized induct rotor is housed inside the bobbin, which used to be a dead space. And the operating stroke of the induct rotor has been cut by about 20% compared to the conventional model. Another big result obtained by these is the miniaturization of the body.
 A new type of side plate has been created to reduce internal space to the utmost limit, and the body width has been reduced by 1.4mm compared to the previous model. When the cast form becomes compact by being able to hold it small, the swing and lure trajectory become more stable and accuracy increases.
 In addition, the angler can hold the tackle in a relaxed state due to the palming property that sticks to the palm without being gripped. If the strain is eliminated, the sensitivity will increase and it will be possible to manipulate the lure more delicately.
 In this way, the innovation that started with the magnet structure and the induct rotor spread to the entire reel and made a big leap in the total performance of the SS AIR TW.
*Conventional model: STEEZ AIR TW

SS AIR TW Structural Cross Section

Cross section of STEEZ AIR TW structure

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:39 am

I wasn't aware they were doing something new. I assumed it was repackaging a higher end platform down to a more affordable reel like the last SS Air. This one gets a new spool, side plate and magnet design to make the reel even more compact in width. They are utilizing the vacant space of the ID of the shallow spool to install a reversed inductor and to extend the magnets into the ID of the spool to remove width from the side plate. I personally find this platform too narrow and long as it is and have a preference for short and wide small reels but its cool they are innovating.

Last edited by LowRange on Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:07 am

Who knows how magnetic brake is adjusted in new SS Air TW? Is it by moving magnet ring towards inductor? Or is there some new variation of rotating magnet ring (+magnets in a plamingplate)?

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:32 am

jvelth74 wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:07 am
Who knows how magnetic brake is adjusted in new SS Air TW? Is it by moving magnet ring towards inductor? Or is there some new variation of rotating magnet ring (+magnets in a plamingplate)?
My guess is on proximity. I don't see two magnet rings there to adjust field strength.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:49 am

Neither do I see two magnet rings. But I think magnet rings doesn't necessary be nested, I think those can be also side by side. And another doesn't necessary be a ring, only magnets might do enough.

But if adjustment is done by moving magnets towards inductor, then it has two effects: magnetic force + it changes also braking profile, because of moving inductor. This can be good (or bad).

Pastrmka
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Pastrmka » Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:49 am

Preorders open on plat

kakaryan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by kakaryan » Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:01 pm

Looks like Shimano FTB :lol:

The Gekka TW was a disappointment which 28mm spool is too small and couldn't cast far enough. Hopefully this is better but I am not too positive for its again 28mm spool.

I do not like some BFS freaks who claimed to need to cast 1gram or 0.1gram. :lol: 2~3gram being the lowest is fine for me just give me a bigger spool and more casting distance. :lol:

If you need to cast below 1gram, grab a fxxking fly rod. :lol:

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:56 pm

Don't know if the video was posted, but there's one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yqz_KQTttWY

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:50 am

I assume this new SS AIR TW is a Steez CT frame? Different side plate, new braking system, new spool to match, and a few other small differences? Still looks nice and curious to see how the new braking system goes over. I would still like to see the BFS style braking (like FTB) incorporated into a semi-BFS reel, like a new Aldebaran 30 with FTB instead of the regular SVS Infinity centrifugal system.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:36 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:50 am
I assume this new SS AIR TW is a Steez CT frame? Different side plate, new braking system, new spool to match, and a few other small differences? Still looks nice and curious to see how the new braking system goes over. I would still like to see the BFS style braking (like FTB) incorporated into a semi-BFS reel, like a new Aldebaran 30 with FTB instead of the regular SVS Infinity centrifugal system.
Haibo Arise does this with a 8.5 gram spool. There was another aluminum frame reel on Aliexpress that did this too with a shallower spool but is gone now.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:34 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:50 am
This has been a dream of mine for years. The FTB is so much better for pitching and skipping than the SVS.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:14 pm

So Daiwa (KTF 1st) makes the Air Brake then Shimano makes the Shimano Air Brake with FTB then Daiwa makes the Daiwa FTB with the SS Magforce. The Daiwa, Shimano Air Brake, new Air Brake. SS Magforce. All this is shave 1.4 mm off the side plate? It's the fronts of the TWS that need attention and millimeters shaved off. The sides are fine. Maybe this will lead to a good casting reel and not just another Air reel that is imperceptibly more narrow.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:18 pm

kakaryan wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:01 pm

The Gekka TW was a disappointment which 28mm spool is too small and couldn't cast far enough. Hopefully this is better but I am not too positive for its again 28mm spool.

I do not like some BFS freaks who claimed to need to cast 1gram or 0.1gram. :lol: 2~3gram being the lowest is fine for me just give me a bigger spool and more casting distance. :lol:

You can get a Ray's spool for the sneeze named reel. It will have more capacity with a distance tuned SV braking profile. They call it a long cast spool. A few have the spool here and like it. I use the old Tatula version extensively.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:47 pm

LowRange wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:18 pm
kakaryan wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:01 pm

You can get a Ray's spool for the sneeze named reel. It will have more capacity with a distance tuned SV braking profile. They call it a long cast spool. A few have the spool here and like it. I use the old Tatula version extensively.
The Roro spools are quite impressive too. The CB26 for the Curado BFS was kinda meh but, all of the Daiwa spools have been quite nice.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing