Daiwa SS Air TW

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Daiwa SS Air TW

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue May 23, 2023 7:19 pm

Schlag wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 2:44 pm
It's here! I'm planning on throwing on some 6 lb Gamma Edge or 8 lb Tatsu to start of with. Later on, I might switch over to braid. Can't wait to see how easy it is to cast.

That combo looks sick!
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Fri May 26, 2023 7:25 pm

Looks like you can use the side plate and the spool of the ss air in a steez air, and its all compatible
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u40TLVnn1WM

fffishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fffishing » Sat May 27, 2023 6:46 am

SSS wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 7:25 pm
Looks like you can use the side plate and the spool of the ss air in a steez air, and its all compatible
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u40TLVnn1WM
Yes,it is.
Attachments
IMG_20230527_094228521.jpg
IMG_20230527_094228521.jpg (43.24 KiB) Viewed 2271 times

Schlag
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Schlag » Tue May 30, 2023 8:24 pm

I'm really digging this reel. Today, I was on the river and fished with some medium sized jerkbaits with the reel. It casts more effortlessly vs the Steez CT. Just a flick of the wrist and the bait is sailing. It's very reminiscent of my 2016 Aldebaran BFS with the KTF spool. I have not tested how light of a lure the SS AIR will cast.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed May 31, 2023 3:26 am

Anyone have thoughts on how smooth the reel is? I saw one youtube review claim their ss air tw wasn't very smooth. Claimed it was no where near the Aldebaran. If that were the case for me, I would worry, because my Aldebaran doesn't always feel the smoothest either.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed May 31, 2023 5:12 am

My SS AIR TW has been reefing bass from under docks and gears are still smooth. It feels like it did from day one.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed May 31, 2023 5:34 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 5:12 am
My SS AIR TW has been reefing bass from under docks and gears are still smooth. It feels like it did from day one.
I remember you saying your Aldebaran was one of your smoother reels, but how would you compare the SS Air TW against the Aldebaran BFS for gear feel/smoothness? I'd assume the Conquest would be better, but sharing the same gears as the Aldebaran, the aluminum frame would be the major benefit...

The reviewer who claimed the SS Air TW wasn't smooth isn't one of my favorite youtubers, but I do agree that $350 seems steep for the SS when the Conquest is just a bit more and the Aldebaran is a good bit cheaper...

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Wed May 31, 2023 6:38 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 5:34 am
I remember you saying your Aldebaran was one of your smoother reels, but how would you compare the SS Air TW against the Aldebaran BFS for gear feel/smoothness? I'd assume the Conquest would be better, but sharing the same gears as the Aldebaran, the aluminum frame would be the major benefit...
The reviewer who claimed the SS Air TW wasn't smooth isn't one of my favorite youtubers, but I do agree that $350 seems steep for the SS when the Conquest is just a bit more and the Aldebaran is a good bit cheaper...
Why you can't say here you are referring to TheReelTest. Yes, he mentioned that. And I don't recall he said anything positive about Daiwa reels in general.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Wed May 31, 2023 7:13 am

Cracker wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:38 am
DirtyD64 wrote:
Why you can't say here you are referring to TheReelTest. Yes, he mentioned that. And I don't recall he said anything positive about Daiwa reels in general.
lmao came here to say just that. Even if he does find something positive, 10sec later, its followed by a negative(s).

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed May 31, 2023 7:21 am

That's Bootytrain. He is a well known Shimano fan boy and former member here. He deleted all his account once he started his channel. His channel is useful to know which reel casts furthest with a hard bomb cast and high release point but beyond that not so much.

Still if the reel is just another Air Brake reel but with an inverted inductor to shave 1.4 mm off the side of the side plate then that's cool but not revolutionary. For $350 it not bad because it is tricking down the Steez CT Air platform but not my cup of tea. These new reels are too skinny and don't fill your palm up when palming with 3 fingers in front of the trigger. The side plate is already too flat IMO. Plus the dial is in the wrong spot. I much prefer the old Alphas palming and easy of adjustment.

Smalleyez
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smalleyez » Wed May 31, 2023 7:52 am

Hard to trust the objectivity of a reviewer if he or she has brand bias. Just sayin’!
RRR (Round Reels Rule!)

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Wed May 31, 2023 8:06 am

Since the reel is built on a steez ct, can i just repeat for the 100th time that all i want in life is a steez ct with a 34mm spool> :crying: Make the frame 1mm bigger if needed, i just want this shape in 34mm so i can use all my custom spools

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Wed May 31, 2023 8:12 am

So, Is it worth of buying? Does new SS Magforce feel any different vs. earlier Magforces?

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed May 31, 2023 10:57 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 5:12 am

I'd say they are in the same class for smoothness. I'll have to fish them side by side to give you a better answer.

The pricing does add more to the equation. I will need to get some similar testing with the Conquest as I have been doing with the SS AIR TW to see if there is enough difference with bass applications to make sense of the pricing...if that makes sense.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Wed May 31, 2023 4:32 pm

Isn't the Aldebaran maxed out on bearings, and the SS is missing 4? And even tho brand new bushings do not feel rough, the reel does feel more connected/high end (or whatever the way you can describe it) when its full of quality bearings. Its like my 21 zillion. When i first bought it, it felt inferior to my steez tw even when compared to a reel that i've used a whole season. Added the missing bearings into the zillion, and it instantly felt more mechanical and less spongey (again, hard to describe the feeling, but there is a difference). Now i can clearly tell that the zillion is smoother under load, which is probably related to its aluminum body.