Daiwa SS Air TW

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
fffishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Daiwa SS Air TW

Post by fffishing » Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:51 pm

kakaryan wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:01 pm
Looks like Shimano FTB :lol:

The Gekka TW was a disappointment which 28mm spool is too small and couldn't cast far enough. Hopefully this is better but I am not too positive for its again 28mm spool.

I do not like some BFS freaks who claimed to need to cast 1gram or 0.1gram. :lol: 2~3gram being the lowest is fine for me just give me a bigger spool and more casting distance. :lol:

If you need to cast below 1gram, grab a fxxking fly rod. :lol:
Hey bro,don't call me "freak" :lol: just cos I'm fishing mostly less then 1g ;) ,fly rod can't help for 0.3-0.4g spoons(for example) ,which is my favorite. 2-3g can handle a bunch of reels,but for 1g you have to digging... so you're still in best position! :lol:

Anyone knows,when new SS Air will be available ?Thanks.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:27 pm

fffishing wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:51 pm
kakaryan wrote:

The Gekka TW was a disappointment which 28mm spool is too small and couldn't cast far enough. Hopefully this is better but I am not too positive for its again 28mm spool.

I do not like some BFS freaks who claimed to need to cast 1gram or 0.1gram. :lol: 2~3gram being the lowest is fine for me just give me a bigger spool and more casting distance. :lol:

Hey bro,don't call me "freak" :lol: just cos I'm fishing mostly less then 1g ;) ,fly rod can't help for 0.3-0.4g spoons(for example) ,which is my favorite. 2-3g can handle a bunch of reels,but for 1g you have to digging... so you're still in best position! :lol:

Supposed to debut in May

fffishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fffishing » Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:43 pm

ss30378 wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:27 pm
fffishing wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:51 pm
kakaryan wrote:

Supposed to debut in May
I know,interesting,who is selling earlier,Plat maybe...

the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by the hooligan » Fri Apr 14, 2023 6:15 am

Looks like they combined a steez air and steez sv tw. Nothing ground breaking here.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Apr 14, 2023 6:35 am

The braking system is new so...we have that at least.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:31 am

Now it seems available on Plat. Interesting reel indeed. First I was hoping that it's Boost brake, but it's Magforce SS :) But might there still be 2 springs like in Boost?

boatinpete
Angler
Angler

Post by boatinpete » Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:21 pm

Will it have a clicking drag ?

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:02 am

boatinpete wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:21 pm
Will it have a clicking drag ?
Yes it should have: https://www.daiwa.com/jp/fishing/item/r ... index.html
Drag drawer click
The drag drawer click is a structure that makes a click sound so that the drag operation can be discerned by the sound when the line is drawn out in a fight with a fish.
One of the essential mechanisms for using thin threads to bring about advantageous game development.
Clicker.jpg
Clicker.jpg (33.87 KiB) Viewed 3178 times
Seems like Japantackle has listed it $363. They also wrote: "Line alarm clicks when lines are pulled out. Clicking drag."

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Sun May 07, 2023 11:31 am

In Magforce SS Air there is only one magnet ring:
SS Air brake.jpg
SS Air brake.jpg (47.19 KiB) Viewed 2906 times
So obviously magnetic field force couldn't be adjusted in Magforce SS Air, but instead of that brake adjustment is done by moving magnets towards inductor ring. And moreover magnetic field is not anymore closed / protected like it was in older Air brake, obviously it brakes also to the spool...It leads to very different braking characteristics than before.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttQcTgEpuaY

It is possible that this brake is supposed to work similar than SV Boost - but just in case of finesse applications. SV Boost obviously is nothing but a "Launch Control", giving strong braking in the very beginning of cast and after launch is cleared, immediately retracts, making possible weaker braking during cast - and therefore longer casts.

JapanTackle:
In the SV-Boost brake, rotor will pop out far only at the beginning of casting to prevent backlash, and then it retracts to the middle to reduce brake to add casting distance.
Obviously Magforce SS Air with a strong setting is acting close to the static basic Magforce, because it brakes also to spool, and braking to spool might be major effect then (magnets are deep inside spool in a strong setting).

And with low setting seems like that induct rotor of SS Magforce brakes mostly in the beginning of cast, acting some kind of like "SV Boost style" (strong spring area). I'm thinking so because with low setting magnets are far, and thus inductor movement has big effect to braking power. And moreover to that also in this style of (twisting inductor) Magforce setting determines revolutions, where inductor retracts, because it's the braking torque which keeps inductor extended.

Slary
Angler
Angler

Post by Slary » Mon May 08, 2023 9:03 am

I understand ss air brake similar to jvelth74.
That brake is Daiwa's "Fool Proof brake".

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Mon May 08, 2023 9:33 am

SV Boost is just a brake with different characteristics than before and different braking profile. But I think that Daiwa SS Air might work similarly than SV Boost but it is finesse tuned. Maybe there is some kind of misunderstanding, but I don't consider SV Boost or (Magforce SS) as any kind of "fool proof brake"...

Slary
Angler
Angler

Post by Slary » Mon May 08, 2023 10:12 am

Yes, I meant to write about "Boost" is Fool proof. And SS air having same kind of effect..

I have tested quite shortly SV Boost braked Zillion. My impression was that it is quite "Fool Proof". Can throw with bad technic, without backlashes.
I was having a feeling that relaxed throw was taking my 28gram trout lure allmost as far as with "power" throw (70meters +/- few meters). And bad technic "quick yank" throw was no problem for Boost brake. I was not getting any backlashes at all. That's where come "Fool Proof" :lol:

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun May 21, 2023 2:30 am

Hoping to revive this thread a bit, there has been so much talk about the Conquest BFS, but not heard much about this reel. I have had an issue with my preferred JDM site, cannot get on there, but I was able to log into the messages and see that the SS AIR TW was in stock.

This being said, I just wondered who has ordered one or has one on the way. Site seemed to get a small order of them, I got the notification on the 19th, they were gone by the 20th.

I have a few more spots to fill for reels, and this one could fill a void. Just not sure about the new brakes. Looking forward to reviews on this one too.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun May 21, 2023 7:28 am

I have been more excited about this reel than the Conquest to be honest. That braking tech seems interesting. If it is an "HLC" ish version of the Gekkabijin....that will be sick.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Schlag
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Schlag » Tue May 23, 2023 2:44 pm

It's here! I'm planning on throwing on some 6 lb Gamma Edge or 8 lb Tatsu to start of with. Later on, I might switch over to braid. Can't wait to see how easy it is to cast.