Daiwa limitbreaker

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Daiwa limitbreaker

Post by Polkfish1 » Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:50 am

dennis_rf wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:23 am
thats one heck of a flashy product website:
JP: https://www.daiwa.com/jp/fishing/item/s ... index.html
English translation: https://www-daiwa-com.translate.goog/jp ... r_pto=wapp

Maybe I'm not too far off with my subscription based casting joke:
The app doesn't seem to "run" the reel but collect data, updates and

The factory default INTELLIGENT MAGFORCE has one standard mode.
After registering and initializing your IM Z to the DAIWA app, the reel performance will be upgraded immediately.
An original function that only INTELLIGENT MAGFORCE can offer, with more brake modes to choose from. The reel performance itself will grow.

(https://www-daiwa-com.translate.goog/jp ... r_pto=wapp)

In that regard, the most important information for now is all the way at the end of the main product page:

This product is for use in Japan only.
Use overseas is not covered by operation guarantee, smartphone app interlocking, and repair reception.

As I interpret this, this reel would be rendered useless and stuck in the default mode as the app will be only available in Japan. Maybe you could get around it using a VPN, using a japanese address for your AppStore billing info and setting the store to Japan. Then you'd need a second smartphone to hover the Google translate app over your primary phone to be able to read what's going on :D

Oh and the price is 125,000 yen.

If this is the future, it will be introduced to the US eventually. For a even steeper price.

Product nameIM Z LIMITBREAKER TW HD-C
Item name XH
Winding length 100cm / handle 1 rotation
gear ratio 8.4
Weight 250g
Maximum drag force 7kg
Standard winding amount nylon: 16lb.-125m / 20lb.-100m
PE line: No.4-100m / No.5-80m
Spool diameter 38mm
handle length 95mm
Bearing ball 12 / roller 1
Battery capacity 410mAh
Battery charging time about 90 minutes (when using the included USB Type-C)
About 700 consecutive throws
Operating environment operating temperature: 0 ~ 40 degrees
Charging temperature: 15 to 30 degrees*
Installed brakeINTELLIGENT MAGFORCE
(Standard mode)
Manufacturer's suggested base price: 125,000 yen
JAN Code XH:4550133 247194*
Accessory simple instruction manual,
Warning (start guide),
Charging cord (USB Type-C),
reel case
Country of Origin: Japan
I don’t interpret the reel as useless without the app outside of Japan. I think it would just function like a regular reel without the benefit of the app features like checking your ‘stats’ or downloading future changes to settings. You’d be stuck with out of the box settings in other words. This is exactly where my skepticism comes in. Could future downloads change the settings in the mechanism to a degree where the user actually perceived noticeable changes to performance? Seems like a tall order. I will keep an open mind but I’m approaching this from a place of skepticism.

PKN8
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by PKN8 » Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:29 am

According to the FAQ page you can still use the reel even if it runs out of charge, but you're stuck on the max brake setting. Yeah...no thanks.
Always learning...

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:40 am

PKN8 wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:29 am
According to the FAQ page you can still use the reel even if it runs out of charge, but you're stuck on the max brake setting. Yeah...no thanks.
For me 'Out of charge' is not any issue, because I don't see situation when this reel would be my only reel with me, and I have Power Bank with me, so I can charge it. But durability and functionality of this reel might be different story.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:02 am

Since the reel is made for big baits, i don't think that max brake will be that big of a deal. You're still gonna be able to chunck 1oz+ baits pretty far.

And the presentation of the reel on their site is kinda crazy. https://www.daiwa.com/jp/fishing/item/s ... index.html

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:11 pm

SSS wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:02 am
Since the reel is made for big baits, i don't think that max brake will be that big of a deal. You're still gonna be able to chunck 1oz+ baits pretty far.

And the presentation of the reel on their site is kinda crazy. https://www.daiwa.com/jp/fishing/item/s ... index.html
I liked the presentation of it at this point. It was far from boring.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:14 pm

jvelth74 wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:11 pm
SSS wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:02 am

I liked the presentation of it at this point. It was far from boring.
The market for this reel is definitely inshore and bay/coastal anglers.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:15 pm

This reel, just from the presentation/marketing, reminds me so much of an iphone lol.

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:19 am

C'mon Daiwa!...for a second I thought they went and gave us what we wanted.

Seems like company's keep remaking classics only to change them to the point of ruining them.

I've been waiting for a free floating 200 size big bait reel. Everyone still dreams of a Z1000. We got 80% of the way and some sales/marketing guru teamed up with an engineer to create this mess. Tell me it doesn't have a DC type whine too.

I have zero desire to plug in reels and tinker with my phone on the water. Give us Mad 3-D with 20 clicks. If 60 configurations is not enough, try a Zebco.

John2204
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by John2204 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:39 am

When I saw that you have to use a phone with it I lost interest, fishing is one of the few times that I am outside not looking at my iPhone... but it is an interesting concept

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:50 am

WOW!! 125000 yen is $962.00

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:04 am

If this were 34/36 size spool AND no temperature limit (I think I saw a 40º F limit) I might be interested.

1. This would be perfect for crankbaits applications in my area. From pre-spawn through summer with depth rangers from 4’-38’, cover from open water to shoreline veg, trees and rocks. Solitary fish and schoolers.

2. Blind casting to target casting.

3. Weights from 3/8 oz to 1 1/2 oz

Since I don’t do tournaments anymore, I don’t carry the amount of tackle I used to, I’m wouldn’t be filling out a rod locker with reels like this but $1000 is a hard nut to make.