Round Abu Garcia Question

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Round Abu Garcia Question

Post by John G » Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:13 am

The Smith Superstrike and Frog Products reels, are they Abu's or something else?

tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Round Abu Garcia Question

Post by tincanary » Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:38 am

Those are made by Isuzu, not related to the auto maker. Isuzu is a small machine shop in Japan that has been producing reels for 50 some years. They do look like the Ambassadeur, but I feel like they take more of their design cues from the Pflueger 2600 and 2800. Very nice and Triangle (the parent company) even makes a bunch of upgrade parts as well as Avail. Megabass even has an Isuzu-made reel in their lineup, the Pagani.

This is a Pflueger 2600, made until '79 and highly collectible. Mint condition examples can reach well into 4 figures. As you can see, lots of inspiration in the Isuzu from this guy, but no idea if any parts or upgrades are cross compatible.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:06 am

tincanary wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:38 am
Those are made by Isuzu, not related to the auto maker. Isuzu is a small machine shop in Japan that has been producing reels for 50 some years. They do look like the Ambassadeur, but I feel like they take more of their design cues from the Pflueger 2600 and 2800. Very nice and Triangle (the parent company) even makes a bunch of upgrade parts as well as Avail. Megabass even has an Isuzu-made reel in their lineup, the Pagani.

This is a Pflueger 2600, made until '79 and highly collectible. Mint condition examples can reach well into 4 figures. As you can see, lots of inspiration in the Isuzu from this guy, but no idea if any parts or upgrades are cross compatible.

Thank you for all that info and I completely forgot about the Isuzu reel. That is a really cool reel that you have. :D

tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tincanary » Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:16 am

John G wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:06 am
tincanary wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:38 am

Thank you for all that info and I completely forgot about the Isuzu reel. That is a really cool reel that you have. :D
I don't have one, that's just a pic I found so I could show the similarities. I do plan on getting one in the future but they're made in such small quantities they can be hard or expensive to acquire. Furthermore, no Japanese stores that ship here sell them, so the best way is to hire a broker that can purchase directly from Triangle and have him ship it here. I do know a couple of people with them and they think highly of them.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:11 pm

tincanary wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:16 am
I don't have one, that's just a pic I found so I could show the similarities. I do plan on getting one in the future but they're made in such small quantities they can be hard or expensive to acquire. Furthermore, no Japanese stores that ship here sell them, so the best way is to hire a broker that can purchase directly from Triangle and have him ship it here. I do know a couple of people with them and they think highly of them.
After doing a little research, you better get out the credit card for one of these. I checked out the website and it even said something about a lottery. I think that it was a Smith Superstrike reel that I saw this morning for over $1300. Oh well cause I really do believe that you got to pay to play so I'm ok with it. There is definitely a market for the 'Old Plugger' top water fishing with all of the really cool rods and colorful lures that are available in Japan.