Problem with JDM reel.

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Problem with JDM reel.

Post by dragon1 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:17 pm

SSS wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:16 pm
isn't buzzing a Shimano feature written on the back of the box at this point? 8-)
Sadly...yes more than it should be. Still, I'm gonna feesh da crappola outta this 22 Bantam HG this year and if I need another set of gears and XShip bearings after the end of the year, I'll swap them out and sell it.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Just_Bass » Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:13 am

Will see what gonna happen. JPS received the defective reel and scheduled to send a new reel to me in a couple days. I started playing with the good one. The DC sound is not as obnoxious as other ppl say. The DC BRAKE is quite strong I have to go way down to dial 2 on PE mode using 15lb braid line with 3/8 lure. Maybe once the left hand come back I can compare with CQ101DC.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:38 pm

SSS wrote:
isn't buzzing a Shimano feature written on the back of the box at this point? 8-)
The first and only buzzing Shimano that I owned was a 16 Metanium and it was really weird. I had never felt anything like it before and there is no way that I could ever get used to it so I sold it. Since then, I have bought and still own a 16 Aldebaran BFS XG, a 22 Aldebaran BFS XG, a Aldebaran MGL and a 18 Bantam and no one of them have any kind of buzzing in the handle.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:51 pm

John G wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:38 pm
SSS wrote:
The first and only buzzing Shimano that I owned was a 16 Metanium and it was really weird. I had never felt anything like it before and there is no way that I could ever get used to it so I sold it. Since then, I have bought and still own a 16 Aldebaran BFS XG, a 22 Aldebaran BFS XG, a Aldebaran MGL and a 18 Bantam and no one of them have any kind of buzzing in the handle.
In the handle? Its the gears that buzz.

If you don't use any high resistance baits, or don't use it in heavy cover, it will be perfectly fine. I use my met dc for jerkbaits, and the gears don't buzz at all, but before i replaced the gears, i used it for spinnerbaits/chatterbaits, and within a year it became an oofer.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:08 am

SSS wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:51 pm

If you don't use any high resistance baits, or don't use it in heavy cover, it will be perfectly fine. I use my met dc for jerkbaits, and the gears don't buzz at all, but before i replaced the gears, i used it for spinnerbaits/chatterbaits, and within a year it became an oofer.
Yes it was in the handle. I mounted the reel to a 16 Poison Glorious 170H-SB (swimbait rod up to 2 ounces) and I use it to throw top water crawlers mostly. Mostly Aventa Crawlers. Anyway, I used it for moving Bates on the surface that have resistance and it was an unmistakable buzz in the knobs every time I turned the handle. It didn't start out that way but it developed a buzz. It was really weird.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:58 am

John G wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:08 am
SSS wrote:

Yes it was in the handle. I mounted the reel to a 16 Poison Glorious 170H-SB (swimbait rod up to 2 ounces) and I use it to throw top water crawlers mostly. Mostly Aventa Crawlers. Anyway, I used it for moving Bates on the surface that have resistance and it was an unmistakable buzz in the knobs every time I turned the handle. It didn't start out that way but it developed a buzz. It was really weird.
Whether the Rising Sun Dragon with the big "S" on their chest admits or not...the MM design in addition to the supporting component and mechanics, are prone to premature wear and tear of the gears and even the bearings and pressure washers, in some of their models. The reason the Aldebaran MM has been the most reliable is due IMO (and others') to the fact that it is used mostly for lighter weights and lower resistance/impact applications.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:34 am

John G wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:08 am
SSS wrote:

Never heard of that one before, but if its the knobs, it can't be anything else but knob bearings or not enough shims, and the lower part of the knobs is rubbing on the handle. If some dirt got inside, this is guaranteed to be the case. Gear buzz is way worse than that, and expensive to remove.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:54 am

SSS wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:34 am
Never heard of that one before, but if its the knobs, it can't be anything else but knob bearings or not enough shims, and the lower part of the knobs is rubbing on the handle. If some dirt got inside, this is guaranteed to be the case. Gear buzz is way worse than that, and expensive to remove.

I never thought it was anything but the gears. When I say a buzz in the knobs, my fingers are on the knobs and that's where I would feel it. What is gear buzz supposed to feel like?

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Just_Bass » Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:09 pm

Hopefully Shimano introduces SLX DC XT 70/71 in US market. The gear set might be around 30 bucks or so. This one might be a keeper, casting 1/2oz Jackhammer with 15lb braid in 10mph wind with no overrun (dial 2 mode PE). Got to break in the reel alright with 2 nice bass. Don’t get me wrong I love my CQ 101 DC but a DC reel under 7oz and a size comparable to Curado 70, why not?
Attachments
7E3536E0-05EC-4EF1-9058-7D4CAA1EB2D3.jpeg
7E3536E0-05EC-4EF1-9058-7D4CAA1EB2D3.jpeg (124.99 KiB) Viewed 1689 times
EF2196F7-783F-4391-B071-829CFEB6ECA3.jpeg
EF2196F7-783F-4391-B071-829CFEB6ECA3.jpeg (144.62 KiB) Viewed 1689 times

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:42 pm

Nice chunker!

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:44 pm

John G wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:54 am
SSS wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:34 am

I never thought it was anything but the gears. When I say a buzz in the knobs, my fingers are on the knobs and that's where I would feel it. What is gear buzz supposed to feel like?
Shimano knobs dampens the vibration by a lot. Its one of the reasons why they're considered smoother by most. You would certainly feel the buzz through the knobs, but that could also be related to the anti reverse bearing being dry or have dirt, and very possibly one of the two bearings supporting the pinion gear being dry or in bad shape, and i have heard many people complain about these two bearings, even inside brand new reels (they were in the curado/slx range, tho, and not the higher end models like the meta and the alde)

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Just_Bass » Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:08 pm

I guess this reel is a keeper until the gear goes south I guess. It casts surprising far with 12lb sunline sniper FC mode dial 2 still need to thumb when lure hit water. I think it cast further than Alphas SV TW and not a lot of thumb. It casts even better than my CQ 101 DC. How about with light weight lure like Ned Rig. I only got about 10-15 yds strong wind dial 4 almost no thumb, 1/15oz Ned lockz + ZMAN TRD.

https://youtube.com/shorts/iNxmuK7Eiy0?feature=share