Shimano Stile SS

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
boatinpete
Angler
Angler

Shimano Stile SS

Post by boatinpete » Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:41 pm

Was wondering is this a good casting reel, also were is spool adjuster on this reel as I don't see it, appreciate replys, thanks.

a1712
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Shimano Stile SS

Post by a1712 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:56 pm

Pretty sure it's on the palm plate. Brian.
Are you fishing or aimlessly casting around?

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:44 am

I use the Stile SS for my saltwater reels, and love the performance and durability. Finesse style VBS brakes are very controlled and the reel casts extremely free and far. The Curado E/Aldebaran MG always felt choked off to me with the normal VBS brakes, but these newer finesse brakes are what I was looking for. Spool capacity is less than a 50 sized reel by around 10-15yds. and I’ve cast 1/8-3oz on these with no issues. Handle is long at 100+mm. Aluminum gears hold up fine for freshwater, but I swapped them for the brass gears out of a Curado 70 and couldn’t be happier.

Cast control knob is in the middle of the palm plate. This change, as well as a narrower drag star and palming plate make the reel feel extremely small in hand and very comfortable to fish all day. Love the Corefit reels.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:24 pm

Jeffbro999 wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:44 am
I use the Stile SS for my saltwater reels, and love the performance and durability. Finesse style VBS brakes are very controlled and the reel casts extremely free and far. The Curado E/Aldebaran MG always felt choked off to me with the normal VBS brakes, but these newer finesse brakes are what I was looking for. Spool capacity is less than a 50 sized reel by around 10-15yds. and I’ve cast 1/8-3oz on these with no issues. Handle is long at 100+mm. Aluminum gears hold up fine for freshwater, but I swapped them for the brass gears out of a Curado 70 and couldn’t be happier.

Cast control knob is in the middle of the palm plate. This change, as well as a narrower drag star and palming plate make the reel feel extremely small in hand and very comfortable to fish all day. Love the Corefit reels.
Jeff, what year Stile SS do you have and is it still available? I looked on several JDM sites and couldn't figure out which model you have.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:28 pm

dragon1 wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:24 pm

Jeff, what year Stile SS do you have and is it still available? I looked on several JDM sites and couldn't figure out which model you have.
I have the ‘17 Stile SS 151, a few HG and a couple PG. I see they call it SVS braking but it’s the same as VBS. The Aldebaran version is really nice too, but I’ve moved away from magnesium in the salt.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:33 pm

Jeffbro999 wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:28 pm
dragon1 wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:24 pm

I have the ‘17 Stile SS 151, a few HG and a couple PG. I see they call it SVS braking but it’s the same as VBS. The Aldebaran version is really nice too, but I’ve moved away from magnesium in the salt.
Last I checked I couldn't locate any of the 17 model...are the current ones still the same?

Also, Japan Tackle states it already has high tensile brass gears?

https://japantackle.com/reg0000216.html
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:49 pm

dragon1 wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:33 pm

Last I checked I couldn't locate any of the 17 model...are the current ones still the same?

That’s the reel in the link. Not sure about availability, looks like they discontinued it. JapanTackle is wrong, main gear is aluminum and has the black coating. An aluminum frame with brass gears at 5.7oz was the reason it got my attention, but that wasn’t right.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:14 am

Jeffbro999 wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:49 pm
dragon1 wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:33 pm

That’s the reel in the link. Not sure about availability, looks like they discontinued it. JapanTackle is wrong, main gear is aluminum and has the black coating. An aluminum frame with brass gears at 5.7oz was the reason it got my attention, but that wasn’t right.
Koolio, thanks Jeff. I thought something was awry here with the information.