Tulala Monstruo 71

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
evilcatfish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Tulala Monstruo 71

Post by evilcatfish » Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:49 am

Does anyone have this rod? I’ve always found Tulala Rods interesting but I think the weight has kept me from pulling the trigger. Just looking for some thoughts on this one

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Tulala Monstruo 71

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:38 pm

Tulala obviously does not get alot of play around here. Maybe is has somthing to do with a squirrel busting a nut as it's moniker, or the aforementioned rod weight Very overlooked rod builder/brand amongst US enthusiasts, imo.

I don't have the rod you mentioned, but I have the Harmonix Staccato 78 MHSS-HX, which is one if their premium spinning rods. I consider it one of only a handful which I count as a forever rod. I use it primarily for SWFL inshore fishing (big snook/reds-small tarpon) These rods are built like tanks, designed to lend no fear in "leaning into" a monster fish.

I believe the Monstruo line up was built specifically to capture the 70cm bass of Lake Biwa. Last I saw there are 3 version of the 71. The standard 71, the 71HRC (concept destruction) and the 71BTX (Backlash edition w/15 guides)

I think there are a couple of other members who have given the brand stellar reviews on TT

Good luck

evilcatfish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by evilcatfish » Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:18 am

Aquaftm45 wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:38 pm
Tulala obviously does not get alot of play around here. Maybe is has somthing to do with a squirrel busting a nut as it's moniker, or the aforementioned rod weight Very overlooked rod builder/brand amongst US enthusiasts, imo.

I don't have the rod you mentioned, but I have the Harmonix Staccato 78 MHSS-HX, which is one if their premium spinning rods. I consider it one of only a handful which I count as a forever rod. I use it primarily for SWFL inshore fishing (big snook/reds-small tarpon) These rods are built like tanks, designed to lend no fear in "leaning into" a monster fish.

I believe the Monstruo line up was built specifically to capture the 70cm bass of Lake Biwa. Last I saw there are 3 version of the 71. The standard 71, the 71HRC (concept destruction) and the 71BTX (Backlash edition w/15 guides)

I think there are a couple of other members who have given the brand stellar reviews on TT

Good luck
Thanks for the response. I like that you mention your Harmonix as being a "forever" rod, reassures me a bit that that these rods are the real deal. I'm personally looking at the 71HRC most likely, that bespoke model from Backlash looks a little crazy

PKN8
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by PKN8 » Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:07 pm

I wish I could add input here but DHL unfortunately snapped my Monstruo 71 in half. I can give you my opinion on the handle that stayed intact...The handle was good. Lol If it's anything like the Monstruo 75 I had, it's gonna do you great; strong back bone that gave me confidence to swing as hard as I could and grind fish in.

Here is the description on Tulala's website in case you haven't already looked at it (https://tulalajp.com/en/monstruo/index.html).
Always learning...

evilcatfish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by evilcatfish » Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:54 pm

PKN8 wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:07 pm
I wish I could add input here but DHL unfortunately snapped my Monstruo 71 in half. I can give you my opinion on the handle that stayed intact...The handle was good. Lol If it's anything like the Monstruo 75 I had, it's gonna do you great; strong back bone that gave me confidence to swing as hard as I could and grind fish in.

Here is the description on Tulala's website in case you haven't already looked at it (https://tulalajp.com/en/monstruo/index.html).
Oh no, thats a bummer for sure. Is insurance covering it? Hopefully there is a replacement on the way?

PKN8
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by PKN8 » Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:33 am

evilcatfish wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:54 pm
PKN8 wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:07 pm

Oh no, thats a bummer for sure. Is insurance covering it? Hopefully there is a replacement on the way?
This happened a while back. Got my money back and all and ended up getting something a little more sweet. Ended up using the 71 handle for my 75 blank. 71 handle was shorter.
Always learning...

City17Banner
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by City17Banner » Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:19 pm

evilcatfish wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:18 am
Aquaftm45 wrote:

Good luck
Thanks for the response. I like that you mention your Harmonix as being a "forever" rod, reassures me a bit that that these rods are the real deal. I'm personally looking at the 71HRC most likely, that bespoke model from Backlash looks a little crazy
Here's a couple of teaser pictures of the new Tulala Monstruo 71BTX Bespoke Edition Rod that finally showed up at doorstep today after spending many weeks in US Customs "pending" clearance and fees assessment.

Please have a great day!

Tulala Monstruo 71BTX Bespoke Beauty Picture

Tulala Monstruo 71BTX First Three Spiral Guides

Tulala Monstruo 71BTX Double Footed and Wrapped Spiral Guides

Tulala Monstruo 71BTX Rod Balance with Shimano 21 Conquest 100 DC (weight is 240g or 8.46oz)
2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:02 pm

City17Banner wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:19 pm

Here's a couple of teaser pictures of the new Tulala Monstruo 71BTX Bespoke Edition Rod that finally showed up at doorstep today after spending many weeks in US Customs "pending" clearance and fees assessment.
That is awesome, that thing looks like it was meant for business. It's cool that backlash does those special edition partnerships. I picked up a Studio Composite/Backlash handle a couple of years ago.

Let us know how you like it!
Last edited by Aquaftm45 on Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ras
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ras » Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:04 pm

City17Banner wrote:

Please have a great day!
Off topic: why the fees? Over the cost threshold? Just for my information. Thanks.

City17Banner
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by City17Banner » Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:14 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:02 pm
City17Banner wrote:

That is awesome, that thing looks like it was meant for business. It's cool that backlash does those special edition partnerships. I picked up a Studio Composite/Backlash hand a couple of years ago.

Let us know how you like it!
It is completely outrageous and over the top, I've never had any JDM casting rod ever have 15 Fuji Torzite Titanium micro guides wrapped in a lefthand spiral before! I already love it even without having any open water time on the rod since there's still 37" of ice on my lake cabin flowage as of this last weekend! I think it's going to be a great accompaniment to my EG Rapid Gunner RSRs, and Sedition Hooligans. And if it ever debuts perhaps, the new EG Super Stallion GT3RS?!? \:D/

City17Banner
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by City17Banner » Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:36 pm

ras wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:04 pm
City17Banner wrote:

Please have a great day!
Off topic: why the fees? Over the cost threshold? Just for my information. Thanks.
I actually had two JDM casting rods in that order, since the shipper was kind enough to package both of them in the same PVC rod shipping tube, and that put me over the somewhat "automagical" $800 threshold where US Customs fees are invoked. As for the rod shipping tube being stuck in "pending" status, I haven't figured out any sort of logic or sense for when that happens as my first EG War Gazelle rod and my EG Super Stallion GT2RS Auror Edition did not have any issues clearing US Customs during the same time frame.

At least I didn't have to wait for 14 weeks like the last time I had a JDM fishing tackle package stuck in "pending" status, that was simply stupid since the order consisted of two Shimano 21 Antares DC reels and some assorted JDM finesse soft plastics from JLS.

So long story short, it appears to depend on what the US Customs folks feel like on any given day since we have no definitive understanding of why/when they invoke Customs fees or put packages/shipping tubes into "pending" status mode.

All we can do is deal with it. :crying:
Last edited by City17Banner on Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:14 pm

City17Banner wrote:
evilcatfish wrote:
Aquaftm45 wrote:

Good luck

Please have a great day!

Tulala Monstruo 71BTX Rod Balance with Shimano 21 Conquest 100 DC (weight is 240g or 8.46oz)
Wow; such a cool rod. This is an awesome pickup. Thanks for sharing. Hey; does backlash ship directly to US or do you snipe from them via third party?

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:27 pm

City17Banner wrote:
evilcatfish wrote:
Aquaftm45 wrote:

Good luck

Please have a great day!

What do you plan on using this rod for? What is the power and taper like on this beauty? Never owned or used anything from Tulala. I guess I assumed they were primarily trout rods.

City17Banner
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by City17Banner » Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:55 pm

Polkfish1 wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:14 pm
City17Banner wrote:
evilcatfish wrote:
Aquaftm45 wrote:

Good luck

Please have a great day!

Wow; such a cool rod. This is an awesome pickup. Thanks for sharing. Hey; does backlash ship directly to US or do you snipe from them via third party?
Thank you it's a simply fantastic casting rod! Yes, Backlash does indeed ship directly to the US, but their shipping quote was extremely expensive (almost 23,000 JPY) so I used the SNIPE Service Request from you know where and even with the nominal charge for the service and the recently increased shipping costs, I still came out about $75 ahead of the Backlash shipping quote. Their JDM lure shipping cost is fine and doesn't cost any more than anything you would order from JLS or any of the other usual suspects.

City17Banner
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by City17Banner » Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:23 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:27 pm
City17Banner wrote:
evilcatfish wrote:
Aquaftm45 wrote:

Good luck

Please have a great day!

What do you plan on using this rod for? What is the power and taper like on this beauty? Never owned or used anything from Tulala. I guess I assumed they were primarily trout rods.
The Tulala Monstruo 71BTX Bespoke Edition is based upon the new 2022 Tulala Monstruo 71 HRC and has a fast taper and is rated for 1/2-3oz lures and I can assure you that it absolutely feels stout enough to present that class of lures on the upper end of the weight spectrum. This is only from flexing the rods against the carpet in my living room, but the new rod appears to have more power than my Megabass Destroyer TS Poker (rated 1/2-3oz) and similar/same power as the Megabass Destroyer TS Black Jack (1/2-4oz), but less power than my EG Grand Stallion GT-X.

As for taper, it's similar to my Sedition Hooligan that is somewhere between a fast and extra-fast but pales in comparison to the EG Rapid Gunner RSR which has a true extra-fast taper. My intention is to use the rod for heavy bottom contact lures such as the 1oz Megabass Dark Sleeper and for small/medium hard and soft swimbaits up to the 2oz Huddleston Deluxe 68 Special and Biwaa Seven 6" hard swimbait, and perhaps even the 3oz 8" Megabass MagDraft.

The true dark horse for me this season is what will the new EG Super Stallion GT3RS bring to the table as far as sensitivity and power levels and how will it compare to the current EG SS and other similar rods such as the EG Orion Black Rose? So far, the new EG War Gazelle, makes a compelling case to me with its combination of light weight, ultimate sensitivity, and power, I liked the rod so much that I violated my "one new rod, per new model, per season" rule and bought a second EG War Gazelle to stay ahead of the dreaded "Pre-Order" status, even without having any time on the water with this exceptional new casting rod. It's simply that good!