Tulala Monstruo 71

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Tulala Monstruo 71

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:09 pm

Your rod collection is pretty incredible. I can tell you put a lot of research and passion in your efforts.

City17Banner
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by City17Banner » Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:49 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:09 pm
Your rod collection is pretty incredible. I can tell you put a lot of research and passion in your efforts.
You are far too kind sir! At best I'm jaded as far as JDM rod selection goes, there's too many shiny baubles and never enough time, but it's great that there are still so many interesting shiny balls even after acquiring nearly a dozen Sedition rods, a few Zenaqs, and even an old school Daiko Gallet, it is truly wonderful to see something in person that far exceeds one's already high expectations such as the new Tulala Monstruo 71BTX Bespoke rod! :lol:
2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS

evilcatfish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by evilcatfish » Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:16 am

City17Banner wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:23 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:27 pm
City17Banner wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:19 pm
evilcatfish wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:18 am
Aquaftm45 wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:38 pm
Tulala obviously does not get alot of play around here. Maybe is has somthing to do with a squirrel busting a nut as it's moniker, or the aforementioned rod weight Very overlooked rod builder/brand amongst US enthusiasts, imo.

I don't have the rod you mentioned, but I have the Harmonix Staccato 78 MHSS-HX, which is one if their premium spinning rods. I consider it one of only a handful which I count as a forever rod. I use it primarily for SWFL inshore fishing (big snook/reds-small tarpon) These rods are built like tanks, designed to lend no fear in "leaning into" a monster fish.

I believe the Monstruo line up was built specifically to capture the 70cm bass of Lake Biwa. Last I saw there are 3 version of the 71. The standard 71, the 71HRC (concept destruction) and the 71BTX (Backlash edition w/15 guides)

I think there are a couple of other members who have given the brand stellar reviews on TT

Good luck
Thanks for the response. I like that you mention your Harmonix as being a "forever" rod, reassures me a bit that that these rods are the real deal. I'm personally looking at the 71HRC most likely, that bespoke model from Backlash looks a little crazy
Here's a couple of teaser pictures of the new Tulala Monstruo 71BTX Bespoke Edition Rod that finally showed up at doorstep today after spending many weeks in US Customs "pending" clearance and fees assessment.

Please have a great day!

Tulala Monstruo 71BTX Bespoke Beauty Picture

Tulala Monstruo 71BTX First Three Spiral Guides

Tulala Monstruo 71BTX Double Footed and Wrapped Spiral Guides

Tulala Monstruo 71BTX Rod Balance with Shimano 21 Conquest 100 DC (weight is 240g or 8.46oz)
What do you plan on using this rod for? What is the power and taper like on this beauty? Never owned or used anything from Tulala. I guess I assumed they were primarily trout rods.
The Tulala Monstruo 71BTX Bespoke Edition is based upon the new 2022 Tulala Monstruo 71 HRC and has a fast taper and is rated for 1/2-3oz lures and I can assure you that it absolutely feels stout enough to present that class of lures on the upper end of the weight spectrum. This is only from flexing the rods against the carpet in my living room, but the new rod appears to have more power than my Megabass Destroyer TS Poker (rated 1/2-3oz) and similar/same power as the Megabass Destroyer TS Black Jack (1/2-4oz), but less power than my EG Grand Stallion GT-X.

As for taper, it's similar to my Sedition Hooligan that is somewhere between a fast and extra-fast but pales in comparison to the EG Rapid Gunner RSR which has a true extra-fast taper. My intention is to use the rod for heavy bottom contact lures such as the 1oz Megabass Dark Sleeper and for small/medium hard and soft swimbaits up to the 2oz Huddleston Deluxe 68 Special and Biwaa Seven 6" hard swimbait, and perhaps even the 3oz 8" Megabass MagDraft.

The true dark horse for me this season is what will the new EG Super Stallion GT3RS bring to the table as far as sensitivity and power levels and how will it compare to the current EG SS and other similar rods such as the EG Orion Black Rose? So far, the new EG War Gazelle, makes a compelling case to me with its combination of light weight, ultimate sensitivity, and power, I liked the rod so much that I violated my "one new rod, per new model, per season" rule and bought a second EG War Gazelle to stay ahead of the dreaded "Pre-Order" status, even without having any time on the water with this exceptional new casting rod. It's simply that good!
Comparing the power to a Blackjack makes me think Tulala ratings lend toward the heavier. Wondering if the 74MHC is more up my alley :-k

City17Banner
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by City17Banner » Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:52 am

evilcatfish wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:16 am
City17Banner wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
City17Banner wrote:
evilcatfish wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:18 am

Thanks for the response. I like that you mention your Harmonix as being a "forever" rod, reassures me a bit that that these rods are the real deal. I'm personally looking at the 71HRC most likely, that bespoke model from Backlash looks a little crazy
Here's a couple of teaser pictures of the new Tulala Monstruo 71BTX Bespoke Edition Rod that finally showed up at doorstep today after spending many weeks in US Customs "pending" clearance and fees assessment.

Please have a great day!

Tulala Monstruo 71BTX Rod Balance with Shimano 21 Conquest 100 DC (weight is 240g or 8.46oz)
What do you plan on using this rod for? What is the power and taper like on this beauty? Never owned or used anything from Tulala. I guess I assumed they were primarily trout rods.
The Tulala Monstruo 71BTX Bespoke Edition is based upon the new 2022 Tulala Monstruo 71 HRC and has a fast taper and is rated for 1/2-3oz lures and I can assure you that it absolutely feels stout enough to present that class of lures on the upper end of the weight spectrum. This is only from flexing the rods against the carpet in my living room, but the new rod appears to have more power than my Megabass Destroyer TS Poker (rated 1/2-3oz) and similar/same power as the Megabass Destroyer TS Black Jack (1/2-4oz), but less power than my EG Grand Stallion GT-X.

As for taper, it's similar to my Sedition Hooligan that is somewhere between a fast and extra-fast but pales in comparison to the EG Rapid Gunner RSR which has a true extra-fast taper. My intention is to use the rod for heavy bottom contact lures such as the 1oz Megabass Dark Sleeper and for small/medium hard and soft swimbaits up to the 2oz Huddleston Deluxe 68 Special and Biwaa Seven 6" hard swimbait, and perhaps even the 3oz 8" Megabass MagDraft.

The true dark horse for me this season is what will the new EG Super Stallion GT3RS bring to the table as far as sensitivity and power levels and how will it compare to the current EG SS and other similar rods such as the EG Orion Black Rose? So far, the new EG War Gazelle, makes a compelling case to me with its combination of light weight, ultimate sensitivity, and power, I liked the rod so much that I violated my "one new rod, per new model, per season" rule and bought a second EG War Gazelle to stay ahead of the dreaded "Pre-Order" status, even without having any time on the water with this exceptional new casting rod. It's simply that good!
Comparing the power to a Blackjack makes me think Tulala ratings lend toward the heavier. Wondering if the 74MHC is more up my alley :-k
It truly depends on what your intention is for the Tulala Monstruo casting rods, but I tend to agree with you about the lure weight ratings, there's no doubt that the Tulala 71BTX is far more powerful than either my EG RSR's, my EG Black Rose casting rods, and my MB Destroyer TS Poker.

In addition to the Tulala 71BTX, I'm actively seeking to acquire either the Tulala Monstruo Concept Destruction 74MHC to present my smaller 2oz class Huddleston Deluxe 68 Special soft swimbaits and DRT Tiny Klash Lo Float glide baits or the Tulala x Fish Arrow Monster Queen 72 for presenting my 4oz Defiant 210 soft swimbaits and Madness Japan Balam 245 glide baits to ensure that I have an extra-heavy swimbait/glide bait rod in each bass boat for the new fishing season.

Since I am short statured at 5'5", the longer extra-heavy casting rods I own such as the EG Grand Stallion GT-X (7'10"), and MB Destroyer TS Black Jack (7'11") are a bit too long for me to use comfortably for long durations of time given my retirement age and lack of casting stamina etc.

The challenge at this moment in time is finding either of these Tulala casting rods in stock and trying to keep shipping charges as low as possible without compromising on rod shipping package durability and reliability during shipment from overseas.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:05 am

Cool rod. For anyone wanting this rod but is poor but not too poor for a $300 rod from TW the Wild Side 72H+ seems very similar. Its rating is nonsense at 1/4 to 1 1/4 oz but I throw baits in the 3 oz range on it all day. The rod does 4 oz fine too but I struggle with a rear grip that short and 4 oz. It's my close quarters cover big bait rod. I won't trust it with small big bait trebles like a Gantarel Jr so I have other rods for that but it does big trebles and top hook just fine.

It weighs 5.3 oz but balances out further up the rod with a lexa 300 than the Talula rod and is noticeably tip heavy.

evilcatfish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by evilcatfish » Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:58 am

City17Banner wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:52 am
evilcatfish wrote:
City17Banner wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
City17Banner wrote:

Please have a great day!

It truly depends on what your intention is for the Tulala Monstruo casting rods, but I tend to agree with you about the lure weight ratings, there's no doubt that the Tulala 71BTX is far more powerful than either my EG RSR's, my EG Black Rose casting rods, and my MB Destroyer TS Poker.

In addition to the Tulala 71BTX, I'm actively seeking to acquire either the Tulala Monstruo Concept Destruction 74MHC to present my smaller 2oz class Huddleston Deluxe 68 Special soft swimbaits and DRT Tiny Klash Lo Float glide baits or the Tulala x Fish Arrow Monster Queen 72 for presenting my 4oz Defiant 210 soft swimbaits and Madness Japan Balam 245 glide baits to ensure that I have an extra-heavy swimbait/glide bait rod in each bass boat for the new fishing season.

Since I am short statured at 5'5", the longer extra-heavy casting rods I own such as the EG Grand Stallion GT-X (7'10"), and MB Destroyer TS Black Jack (7'11") are a bit too long for me to use comfortably for long durations of time given my retirement age and lack of casting stamina etc.

The challenge at this moment in time is finding either of these Tulala casting rods in stock and trying to keep shipping charges as low as possible without compromising on rod shipping package durability and reliability during shipment from overseas.
I emailed our friends at JDMTH the other day and the 74MHC showed up for sale on the website this morning. Really looking forward to giving this rod a go! I had also previously ordered a studio composite concept destruction handle in anticipation of getting this rod, gotta match right? 😆

City17Banner
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by City17Banner » Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:19 am

evilcatfish wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:58 am
City17Banner wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:52 am
evilcatfish wrote:
City17Banner wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:

I emailed our friends at JDMTH the other day and the 74MHC showed up for sale on the website this morning. Really looking forward to giving this rod a go! I had also previously ordered a studio composite concept destruction handle in anticipation of getting this rod, gotta match right? 😆
I hope you enjoy using it sir! I have one on the way myself for presenting my favorite heavy soft plastic swimbait/fluke style lures: the incomparable 7" DRT VTS 7 and 4.5" DRT Cramp Shad Fat! It's going to be lots of fun playing around with this rod and comparing it to the EG Super Stallion GT2RS Aurora Edition, EG Orion Black Rose, Studio Composite ID Paradox ARC 73, and Gan Craft Killers 00 KG-00 6-710EXH Dead Swords (if they ever get out of the dreaded (pending review) status with the US Customs Dept. Thank god THUT got more deliveries of both the DRT soft plastic lures or I'd be very unhappy and sad! :big grin:

4g63power
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 4g63power » Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:49 pm

lol

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KP Duty » Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:17 pm

Intriguing rod, but those untrimmed threads on the reel seat make me cringe.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:09 am

KP Duty wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:17 pm
Intriguing rod, but those untrimmed threads on the reel seat make me cringe.
It’s hard to deny that there’s a certain amount of ugly on most (not all) Tulala offerings. It’s their style. For me it sort of works like the way a fox body mustang does it for some. That touch of ugly even seems to persist when they put out collaborations with the likes of DRT. Two things for sure though, the rods are a joy to fish and made well.

kakaryan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by kakaryan » Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:28 pm

What I don't like their rods (and so do Huerco) is the ugly locknut that exposes the screw thread. Though, with the handle part detachable (no guides above) it can easily be replaced with some better looking parts.

Prairie
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Prairie » Sun May 14, 2023 4:26 am

I received the Monstro Concept Destruction 77HSC last month. It has become my favorite rod by far for my smaller cranking swimbaits and glides. Feels like it can throw anything with a treble hook. My P5 Tequila Baccarat and LDC MH have been collecting dust.

Murraycodchaser
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Murraycodchaser » Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:24 pm

Any updates on how this performs? Looking at ordering one soon and keen to know how it goes on the water

Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Firstoutfisher » Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:45 pm

Looking at the 71HRC and 74MHC rods in the monstruo destruction series. So anyone have feedback on what these are good for? I need something for smaller swimbaits/topwater and also something for flipping/pitching. Maybe a better frog rod but these both look to heavy for that. Any what it will be good to use it for?