Daiwa BFS Offerings...

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Daiwa BFS Offerings...

Post by bronzefly » Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:16 am

Steez AIR, Alphas AIR, GekkaBijin AIR TW PE Special, Silver Creek AIR Stream Custom...

What types of line have you had the most success with in these platforms?
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Daiwa BFS Offerings...

Post by jvelth74 » Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:43 am

I have GekkaBijin air and Alphas ct with KTF spool. I use basically only PE lines. PE#1.0 or thicker, with long FC leader. I fish in a bushy streams and I don't like to loose lures. Same lines works also in boat fishing for Perch in a lakes or sea. Mono lines I use only when I fish in freezing conditions, when use of braided lines is impossible.

GekkaBijin Air has limited line capacity, so I have main line of 25 m - 30 m of PE#1.0 and backing line of 50 - 60 m of very thin braided. I know that this thin line don't last too much pressure, but it's very likely that sometimes trout pulls me to the backing line, and then I have at least a chance to try to save situation. :D

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:33 pm

I have 3/4 of the mentioned reels and mostly use braid 0.6-0.8 PE.
Have also had good succes with 6-7 LB Fluoro.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:21 pm

I had the Steez AIR and sold it because I acquired some 30/28mm spacers and a Steez AIR spool. I installed those into a Steez CT 70XHL and am extremely happy with this set up. I've used 6# Daiwa J-Fluoro Samurai in this reel quite a bit and it has worked great.

In the other 30/28 conversion, I went with an Alphas CT 70SHL and the Gekka spool. I'm using 6# Daiwa J-Braid X8 and it has performed nicely too. I haven't owned the Gekka as an entire reel, but this little spool handles PE lines nicely indeed.

The Alphas AIR is a lot of fun too. Just for fun, I spooled up some old YoZuri hybrid 4# smoke which is equivalent to 8# J-Fluoro and have enjoyed this too.

The Silver Creek will be here this week. I plan on pairing it with the Triza Aello (which now has the Alphas CT/Gekka spool and am trying to decide which line I want to go with. I'm thinking about using some of my precious YGK SS112 in 10# to start. I'm excited about this little reel for sure.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:53 pm

Other than the Gekkabijin (prefer braid), I have used line from 4lb mono up to 7lb fluorocarbon. I usually run fluorocarbon for most of my BFS bass fishing. Braid is a pretty popular choice.

The issue with an across the board line choice is that line type matters so much with the rod. The same adage of line affecting traditional bass setups is amplified with lighter rods. The difference of braid to mono is quite a bit and can be used to make your setup achieve what you want.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:26 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:53 pm
Other than the Gekkabijin (prefer braid), I have used line from 4lb mono up to 7lb fluorocarbon. I usually run fluorocarbon for most of my BFS bass fishing. Braid is a pretty popular choice.

The issue with an across the board line choice is that line type matters so much with the rod. The same adage of line affecting traditional bass setups is amplified with lighter rods. The difference of braid to mono is quite a bit and can be used to make your setup achieve what you want.
I agree to some extent. I go for a setup that has some give when fishing my moving baits. And since I use mostly braid that give comes from the rod. I have used mono a lot as well, but that was a few years back, because I had such difficulty in finding moderate-fast <8 foot “bfs” casting rods. I hoped that the mono could help me overcome the stiffness of the 6-7 foot major craft (Volkeys) and other rods in my possession, but it could not. I lost too many fish on the extra fast rods, even with mono. Now that I have plenty of moderate-fast rods, I rarely use mono (except for salmon fishing / non-bfs 😄)