Small/ medium swimbait rod and reel

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
ras
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Small/ medium swimbait rod and reel

Post by ras » Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:36 pm

City17Banner wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:19 pm
StymoDe wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:14 pm
I used to search for every post from Gary (bronzefly), I still do...
now I follow your posts closely. love those details and the passion behind them.
surprised you said Black Rose more sensitive than SS GT 2RS, a friend of mine owns the original TKLC71MH SS and many other higher end rods and he swear his TKLC 71MH SS is one of the most sensitive rods. never handle that rod myself though

oh yeah, did you miss your EG Stallion RS? :big grin:
Here is my "lost" short description of the Evergreen Kaleido Inspirare Stallion RS Limited: Despite owning a large variety of JDM casting rods, there's always one rod that is in the rod locker of each of my two bass boats and that rod is the EG Stallion RS. The primary reason for the inclusion of the beloved EG Stallion in my rod lockers is somewhat paradoxical, simply because the rod does everything well without doing anything superbly. By that I mean that on the rare days that I guess correctly, and my fishing buddy and I are able to catch smallmouth bass with our preferred fishing techniques, the EG Stallion stays unused and forgotten in the rod locker.

However, on the many and frequent days of smallmouth bass fishing where Plans A, B, C, D, and E, have completely failed and Plan F finally works, we are then left with using the most flexible rod in the rod locker. Inevitably, that rod is the EG Stallion because it's more sensitive than the EG Cobra, but not as long as the EG Cougar Elite and Plan F usually means that the fish are neutral or plain inactive and we've left all the bottom contact rods at the lake cabin. The reality of smallmouth bass fishing is that the EG Stallion is always the "break in case of desperation" JDM casting rod that saves the day whenever we have to use Plan F because nothing else worked!

From those many instances, one may construe that the EG Stallion might indeed be the most versatile rod in the Evergreen Kaleido Inspirare rod model line and I can't say that this perspective is incorrect, but as always, there's so many choices available in this massive rod model line that there are truly no poor options only those less favored for any given fishing purpose. For me the EG Stallion will always have a place in my rod lockers. :big grin:

Please have a great day!
This reminds me of my EG Superior Scout Master – always in the trunk of my car, not always used when I'm at the shore, but saved the day so many times over the past couple of years...

I've found some very interesting (and convincing) size comparisons of 21 Antares DC and 19 Antares, including the way they sit on the rods, that made me turn to 19 Antares HG. Likely splitting hairs, but I have to start somewhere. I've locked on a Cougar Elite 7 RS with the now-old-style signed reel seat, but I also keep sifting through the information on the Orion series. Has anyone used the Moongazer? I recognize it can be expected to be very different from the Cougar, but it seems all bets are off when it comes to my search at this point, just looking to get started...

City17Banner
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by City17Banner » Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:56 pm

ras wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:36 pm
City17Banner wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:19 pm
StymoDe wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:14 pm
I used to search for every post from Gary (bronzefly), I still do...
now I follow your posts closely. love those details and the passion behind them.
surprised you said Black Rose more sensitive than SS GT 2RS, a friend of mine owns the original TKLC71MH SS and many other higher end rods and he swear his TKLC 71MH SS is one of the most sensitive rods. never handle that rod myself though

oh yeah, did you miss your EG Stallion RS? :big grin:
Here is my "lost" short description of the Evergreen Kaleido Inspirare Stallion RS Limited: Despite owning a large variety of JDM casting rods, there's always one rod that is in the rod locker of each of my two bass boats and that rod is the EG Stallion RS. The primary reason for the inclusion of the beloved EG Stallion in my rod lockers is somewhat paradoxical, simply because the rod does everything well without doing anything superbly. By that I mean that on the rare days that I guess correctly, and my fishing buddy and I are able to catch smallmouth bass with our preferred fishing techniques, the EG Stallion stays unused and forgotten in the rod locker.

However, on the many and frequent days of smallmouth bass fishing where Plans A, B, C, D, and E, have completely failed and Plan F finally works, we are then left with using the most flexible rod in the rod locker. Inevitably, that rod is the EG Stallion because it's more sensitive than the EG Cobra, but not as long as the EG Cougar Elite and Plan F usually means that the fish are neutral or plain inactive and we've left all the bottom contact rods at the lake cabin. The reality of smallmouth bass fishing is that the EG Stallion is always the "break in case of desperation" JDM casting rod that saves the day whenever we have to use Plan F because nothing else worked!

From those many instances, one may construe that the EG Stallion might indeed be the most versatile rod in the Evergreen Kaleido Inspirare rod model line and I can't say that this perspective is incorrect, but as always, there's so many choices available in this massive rod model line that there are truly no poor options only those less favored for any given fishing purpose. For me the EG Stallion will always have a place in my rod lockers. :big grin:

Please have a great day!
This reminds me of my EG Superior Scout Master – always in the trunk of my car, not always used when I'm at the shore, but saved the day so many times over the past couple of years...

I've found some very interesting (and convincing) size comparisons of 21 Antares DC and 19 Antares, including the way they sit on the rods, that made me turn to 19 Antares HG. Likely splitting hairs, but I have to start somewhere. I've locked on a Cougar Elite 7 RS with the now-old-style signed reel seat, but I also keep sifting through the information on the Orion series. Has anyone used the Moongazer? I recognize it can be expected to be very different from the Cougar, but it seems all bets are off when it comes to my search at this point, just looking to get started...
I know exactly what you mean, when you have that ultra-dependable rod that can do just about everything but doesn't need to unless you are having a terrible day of fishing and then it comes though for you saves the day. That is a special and almost magical fishing rod, and you wouldn't trade it for anything else.

I think your selection of the 19 Antares and EG Cougar Elite 7 RS is a fine place to start, and I hope you find them to be enjoyable for use in fishing for your local bass!
2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS

PKN8
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by PKN8 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:08 pm

City17Banner wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:58 pm
6. EG Dire Wolf Wild 7: This is my go-to heavy chatterbait rod and does an excellent job of presenting the heaviest 1-1/4oz Jackhammer matched with a 5" Deps Death Adder in deep cold-water conditions. In addition, the Dire Wolf has a great taper for presenting lipless crankbaits such as the LC LV-500 and the Nishine Lure Works Simcoe Heavy both in a straight line retrieve mode and in a "stroking" form of retrieve that is more akin to fishing football jigs.
I have been forever curious about this rod and am always so close to pulling the trigger but never do. Please enlighten me on this rod more.
Always learning...

City17Banner
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by City17Banner » Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:02 pm

PKN8 wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:08 pm
City17Banner wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:58 pm
6. EG Dire Wolf Wild 7: This is my go-to heavy chatterbait rod and does an excellent job of presenting the heaviest 1-1/4oz Jackhammer matched with a 5" Deps Death Adder in deep cold-water conditions. In addition, the Dire Wolf has a great taper for presenting lipless crankbaits such as the LC LV-500 and the Nishine Lure Works Simcoe Heavy both in a straight line retrieve mode and in a "stroking" form of retrieve that is more akin to fishing football jigs.
I have been forever curious about this rod and am always so close to pulling the trigger but never do. Please enlighten me on this rod more.
I can only say that it's help me become a much better Jackhammer angler than I ever thought possible and it's versatile enough to easily handle lipless crankbaits like my beloved LV500 and the new contender to that status, the Nishine Lure Works Simcoe Heavy. Both lures are fantastic for "stroking" on the gravel and rock-strewn bottoms in our southern Canadian Sheild lakes and flowages here in NW Wisconsin and the EG Dire Wolf simply handles it all with aplomb.

It's akin to taking my wonderful Doxle (Dachshund and Beagle dog breed mix) "Fatso the Third" (he's a bit portly) out for a Sunday morning walk, they are both well behaved, they always take care of business, and both simply love being out and about having fun.

What more can you ask of either a beloved JDM casting rod or a fabulous family dog! \:D/ :big grin: =D>
2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS