Small/ medium swimbait rod and reel

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
ras
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Small/ medium swimbait rod and reel

Post by ras » Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:59 pm

Hello,

Having spent some time reading this forum, I became excited to try out local bass fishing. I'm particularly keen on exploring small/medium hard swimbaits, up to 1 oz. I'd like to try Kaleido Inspirare rods. Which model would you recommend for these purposes? I plan to pair it with Antares DC XG.

Thanks in advance.

City17Banner
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Small/ medium swimbait rod and reel

Post by City17Banner » Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:00 pm

ras wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:59 pm
Hello,

Having spent some time reading this forum, I became excited to try out local bass fishing. I'm particularly keen on exploring small/medium hard swimbaits, up to 1 oz. I'd like to try Kaleido Inspirare rods. Which model would you recommend for these purposes? I plan to pair it with Antares DC XG.

Thanks in advance.
Hello,

I hope you enjoy fishing for your local bass as much as I enjoy fishing for smallmouth bass in NW Wisconsin! Over the last two years, I have used the following EG Kaleido Inspirare casting rods, reels, mainline, and leader to present the Biwaa Seven hard swimbaits and the Megabass MagDraft soft swimbaits.

Rod: EG Cougar Elite 7 RS
Reel: Shimano 21 Antares DC
Mainline: 20# YGK SS 112 hybrid braid/super ester
Leader: 30# Sunline FC100
Hard Swimbait: Biwaa Seven 4” (17gr or 9/16oz)
Soft Swimbait: MB MagDraft 5” (3/4oz)

Rod: EG Dire Wolf Wild 7 RS
Reel: Shimano 21 Antares DC
Hard Swimbait: Biwaa Seven 5” (34gr or 1-3/16oz)
Soft Swimbait: MB MagDraft 6” (1-1/4oz)

Rod: EG Super Stallion GT2RS
Reel: Shimano 21 Conquest 100 DC
Hard Swimbait: Biwaa Seven 6” (60gr or 2-1/16oz)
Soft Swimbait: MB MagDraft 8” (3oz)

If you are truly planning to present hard swimbaits up to 1oz in total weight, I recommend you look at either the EG Dire Wolf Wild 7 or Super Stallion GT2RS, both rods can present lures across their entire lure weight range but if I could only choose one, I'd have to give the nod to the Super Stallion GT2RS, at least until the new Super Stallion GT3Rs debuts, then all bets are off! :big grin:

I wish you luck in catching your local bass and please have a great day!
2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS

ras
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ras » Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:22 pm

Thanks for your insight. I hope you don't mind me picking your brain a bit more. Small-to-medium swimbaits are indeed my main interest. With that said, it is likely that I will toss senkos every now and then. I'm not sure if these baits are mutually exclusive when it comes to the desired rod parameters. So far, I only plan to acquire one rod and one reel.
I was actually eyeing Cougar Elite 7 RS, but I also must admit that I'm easily lost in Kaleido Inspirare line-up. I noticed many models have RS and GT variations. Often times, blanks appear to be the same, but guide map and grip are different. What am I missing?

City17Banner
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by City17Banner » Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:05 am

ras wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:22 pm
Thanks for your insight. I hope you don't mind me picking your brain a bit more. Small-to-medium swimbaits are indeed my main interest. With that said, it is likely that I will toss senkos every now and then. I'm not sure if these baits are mutually exclusive when it comes to the desired rod parameters. So far, I only plan to acquire one rod and one reel.
I was actually eyeing Cougar Elite 7 RS, but I also must admit that I'm easily lost in Kaleido Inspirare line-up. I noticed many models have RS and GT variations. Often times, blanks appear to be the same, but guide map and grip are different. What am I missing?
Not at all, I’m glad to help out and share my knowledge of these exceptional Evergreen Kaleido Inspirare casting rods. In addition, it’s very easy to get overwhelmed by the sheer quantity of rod options and different capabilities of these top tier JDM rods.

Of the different Evergreen Kaleido Inspirare casting rods I own, perhaps the Cougar Elite, Dire Wolf, and Super Stallion models are the most versatile of the entire range of rod models. Having said that, I don’t typically present a 5/16oz or 9gr wacky-rigged weightless 5” Senko with a #1 Owner Jungle Wacky Weedless hook on any of these rods due to the light overall weight of this rig.

For my wacky rigged Senko fishing, I prefer a lighter and more sensitive casting rod with my primary rod preference being the Daiwa Steez Racing Design 6101ML+FB and my secondary rod selection being the Shimano 22 Poison Ultima 1611ML+ rod. Both of these casting rods exhibit fast tips with a great deal of sensitivity to detect the often subtle bites that occur on the initial “drop” phase of the wacky rigged 5” Senko immediately after the cast.

However, if I was in the situation where I could only select one Evergreen Kaleido Inspirare rod to present these two disparate lure presentations (a 1oz hard swimbait and a 5/16oz wacky-rigged Senko), the only choice in my experience would be the Cougar Elite 7 since it is a true medium powered rod that has enough power to present a 1oz hard swimbait while having the fast tip and rod blank sensitivity to present a wacky-rigged 5” Senko properly.

As for your question regarding the difference between the EG Cougar Elite 7 RS and the GT-R models, it has been my experience fishing with both models this last fishing season that I prefer the RS due to the handle being ~1” shorter than the comparable GT-R model. Where I find the GT-R model excels is when I have to present older jerkbaits that lack sophisticated weight transfer systems such as the Smithwick Rogue. This is still a great jerkbait for catching smallmouth bass during the early and late season cold water fishing periods, but it lacks the fantastic weight transfer systems of more modern jerkbaits such as the Jackall Rerange 110SP or the DUO Realis 120SP and the GT-R is able to present the lure more easily due to my ability to leverage the longer handle to gain more casting distance. Lastly, I prefer the cork handle found on the RS model as opposed to the GT-R model but that is purely a personal preference as the Evergreen implementation of the EVA foam found on their GT, GT-R, and GT-X rod models is beyond reproach and have endured the test of time for me while fishing for smallmouth bass over the last four fishing seasons.

The final thought on the difference between the Cougar Elite 7 RS and GT-R models and which model to select may also depend on how you are fishing the rods. For instance, if you are fishing from shore, my expectation is that the GT-R with its longer handle and better leverage may be better for making longer distance casts. If you were fishing from a kayak on the other hand, perhaps the slightly shorter handle of the RS model might suit you better since it is easier to handle, although my kayak angler friends that I know personally usually prefer slightly shorter rods in the 6’3-6’9” range for their bass fishing purposes. I am fortunate enough to fish out of two great bass boats, so I enjoy using both the RS and GT-R models for presenting a variety of lures from 3/8-3/4oz for smallmouth bass.

I hope this short reply has been of assistance in your search for an Evergreen Kaleido Inspirare casting rod to suit your local bass fishing needs.

Please have a great day!

Here is a picture showing the difference in the handle length between the EG Cougar Elite 7 RS (top rod) and the EG Cougar Elite 7 GT-R (bottom two rods)

Here is a rod balance picture showing the EG Cougar Elite 7 RS casting rod with a Shimano 21 Antares DC reel (220gr or 7.76oz)

Here is a rod balance picture showing the EG Cougar Elite 7 GT-R casting rod with a Shimano 21 Antares DC reel (220gr or 7.76oz)

ras
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ras » Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:16 am

THANK YOU VERY MUCH. My next questions will deviate from the original purpose of this thread, I apologize. What baitcasting reels do you typically use for senkos? Do you prefer FC or hybrid PE-based lines for those purposes?
I recognize that aiming for one rod and reel to do it all is one of the beginner's fallacies, and I've been there with my saltwater and trout rods. I current have only one bass rod, Ultima 266L-5, and I don't use it for intended purposes (rather, it is my travel rod for bottom presentations).

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:03 am

At the top tier, If I am looking for a do it all between 7-28 grams, I would be looking at the Antares A70 or a Steez variation. I have both and if I had to pick one, it would be the Antares A70. I almost exlusivly use Varivas Monster Si-X Vamos PE2 or 3 with a floro leader.
Seeing that you like the higher tier gear, I would also be looking at Designo (new models for '23) and the Studio Composite 7102, as they both have some nice progressive models would do what your are asking. Nothing wrong with the Evergreens, I have a couple of Kaleido Inspirare (GT-X and Stallion RS Limited). If you didn't mind a 6'9 rod and were closer to 3/4 on the swimbaits, the Stallion RS Limited would be nice. Personally, I would choose the Antares A70 and Studio Composite for a do it all rig.

City17Banner
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by City17Banner » Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:16 am

ras wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:16 am
THANK YOU VERY MUCH. My next questions will deviate from the original purpose of this thread, I apologize. What baitcasting reels do you typically use for senkos? Do you prefer FC or hybrid PE-based lines for those purposes?
I recognize that aiming for one rod and reel to do it all is one of the beginner's fallacies, and I've been there with my saltwater and trout rods. I current have only one bass rod, Ultima 266L-5, and I don't use it for intended purposes (rather, it is my travel rod for bottom presentations).
Not at all, after all this is a discussion forum about Enthusiast & Import Tackle and everything that's been discussed in this thread fits that description to a tee.

I favor "standardization" in my JDM fishing tackle whenever possible, so for my everyday smallmouth bass casting reels, I use Shimano Antares DC reels (I have every generation from 2006-2021) for bottom contact, topwater, and slower moving vertical presentations. For faster horizontal presentations I have standardized on Shimano 21 Conquest 100 DC casting reels for my crankbait, chatterbait, and larger glidebait/swimbait techniques that require constant retrieving efforts.

I've tried many different types of fishing line over the 32-years I have been a smallmouth bass fisherman and I always come back to a braid mainline with an FC leader knot tied with an FG knot. I prefer the high sensitivity, low stretch, and ease of use that braid provides while leveraging FC leader material for its combination of stealth and abrasion resistance. As a function of using standardized JDM fishing tackle, I have standardized on the use of YGK SS112 sinking hybrid braid/super ester for all of my sub-surface presentations such as the ubiquitous wacky-rigged Senko. The only presentations which I still use "normal" braid for are topwater presentations such as poppers, walking baits, and frogs, for these presentations, I use a variety of Power Pro Maxcuatro braid ranging from 30# all the way to 65# depending on the conditions and type of emergent vegetation I am fishing at the moment.

As for beginner bass fishing fallacies, they certainly exist, but I don't think it's unreasonable at all to start with one rod and one reel, I think that it's always a good idea to get a solid foundation before you endeavor to dive deeper into any activity so it's best to start with a few presentations that you have confidence in then try other techniques that you want to learn more about as time progresses. Of course, it's probably best to start with techniques that complement each other or at least have some commonality as far as lure weights/sizes go so you can best leverage the one rod and reel, but many JDM casting rods are designed to be versatile by nature so that an angler can take advantage of many presentations during a given fishing trip.

If we take the Evergreen Kaleido Inspirare Cougar Elite 7 RS as an example, I could start the fishing day with a faster moving lure such as the Biwaa Seven 4" hard swimbait, then progress to a 1/2oz jerkbait like a Jackall Rerange 110SP if the fish wanted a slower moving lure and end the day with slowly "grinding" the bottom with a Megabass MagDraft 5" soft swimbait as fishing conditions dictate. We are fortunate to be blessed with fantastic JDM fishing tackle options that allow us to have this type of versatility so we can best utilize our hard-earned money and enjoy the wonders of catching bass. :big grin:

Please have a great day!

ras
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ras » Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:38 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:03 am
At the top tier, If I am looking for a do it all between 7-28 grams, I would be looking at the Antares A70 or a Steez variation. I have both and if I had to pick one, it would be the Antares A70. I almost exlusivly use Varivas Monster Si-X Vamos PE2 or 3 with a floro leader.
Seeing that you like the higher tier gear, I would also be looking at Designo (new models for '23) and the Studio Composite 7102, as they both have some nice progressive models would do what your are asking. Nothing wrong with the Evergreens, I have a couple of Kaleido Inspirare (GT-X and Stallion RS Limited). If you didn't mind a 6'9 rod and were closer to 3/4 on the swimbaits, the Stallion RS Limited would be nice. Personally, I would choose the Antares A70 and Studio Composite for a do it all rig.
Thank you. Why the preference for A70 over 21 DC? From what I understand, A70 is smaller than 21 DC, and I do find that appealing. My plan for DC is based solely on perceived versatility and ease of use. I'd be happy to learn that I'm wrong.

Re Designo and Studio Composite: I've looked into these manufacturers and find their offerings quite interesting (also considered Studio Composite spinning models for other applications). EG is very familiar to me by way of substantial experience with Salty Sensation Superior rods (I own and fish a sizable chunk of their line-up). I haven't been disappointed. I'm also very comfortable with turning to Shimano/ Daiwa for alternatives.

ras
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ras » Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:39 pm

City17Banner wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:16 am
ras wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:16 am
Not at all, after all this is a discussion forum about Enthusiast & Import Tackle and everything that's been discussed in this thread fits that description to a tee.

I favor "standardization" in my JDM fishing tackle whenever possible, so for my everyday smallmouth bass casting reels, I use Shimano Antares DC reels (I have every generation from 2006-2021) for bottom contact, topwater, and slower moving vertical presentations. For faster horizontal presentations I have standardized on Shimano 21 Conquest 100 DC casting reels for my crankbait, chatterbait, and larger glidebait/swimbait techniques that require constant retrieving efforts.

I've tried many different types of fishing line over the 32-years I have been a smallmouth bass fisherman and I always come back to a braid mainline with an FC leader knot tied with an FG knot. I prefer the high sensitivity, low stretch, and ease of use that braid provides while leveraging FC leader material for its combination of stealth and abrasion resistance. As a function of using standardized JDM fishing tackle, I have standardized on the use of YGK SS112 sinking hybrid braid/super ester for all of my sub-surface presentations such as the ubiquitous wacky-rigged Senko. The only presentations which I still use "normal" braid for are topwater presentations such as poppers, walking baits, and frogs, for these presentations, I use a variety of Power Pro Maxcuatro braid ranging from 30# all the way to 65# depending on the conditions and type of emergent vegetation I am fishing at the moment.

As for beginner bass fishing fallacies, they certainly exist, but I don't think it's unreasonable at all to start with one rod and one reel, I think that it's always a good idea to get a solid foundation before you endeavor to dive deeper into any activity so it's best to start with a few presentations that you have confidence in then try other techniques that you want to learn more about as time progresses. Of course, it's probably best to start with techniques that complement each other or at least have some commonality as far as lure weights/sizes go so you can best leverage the one rod and reel, but many JDM casting rods are designed to be versatile by nature so that an angler can take advantage of many presentations during a given fishing trip.

If we take the Evergreen Kaleido Inspirare Cougar Elite 7 RS as an example, I could start the fishing day with a faster moving lure such as the Biwaa Seven 4" hard swimbait, then progress to a 1/2oz jerkbait like a Jackall Rerange 110SP if the fish wanted a slower moving lure and end the day with slowly "grinding" the bottom with a Megabass MagDraft 5" soft swimbait as fishing conditions dictate. We are fortunate to be blessed with fantastic JDM fishing tackle options that allow us to have this type of versatility so we can best utilize our hard-earned money and enjoy the wonders of catching bass. :big grin:

Please have a great day!
Thank you.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:20 pm

ras wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:38 pm
Aquaftm45 wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:03 am
Thank you. Why the preference for A70 over 21 DC? From what I understand, A70 is smaller than 21 DC, and I do find that appealing. My plan for DC is based solely on perceived versatility and ease of use. I'd be happy to learn that I'm wrong.

Re Designo and Studio Composite: I've looked into these manufacturers and find their offerings quite interesting (also considered Studio Composite spinning models for other applications). EG is very familiar to me by way of substantial experience with Salty Sensation Superior rods (I own and fish a sizable chunk of their line-up). I haven't been disappointed. I'm also very comfortable with turning to Shimano/ Daiwa for alternatives.
I don't think you are necessarily wrong on the DC and I have not tried the newest version. Maybe with the MGL III spool and the new braking system it improved some it's shortfalls. Specifically weight, size and low end spectrum casting weight. If you are already proficient with a baitcaster and throwing less than 2oz (smaller line) the A70 is a good option. It is smaller, slightly lighter, it has incredible casting distance, and is very controlled, and just like the DC it is built like a tank. It will cast the lighter end of the spectrum, but maybe the newest DC will too. I don't think you can go wrong either way. If you have not seen it TT did a review.
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewshimanoantaresa70.html
If you are a fan of EG, as CB has mentioned there are plenty of options. TBH I have struggled to find a place in my heart for either of the two I have, maybe I'm just not fishing them in the right situations. They are exquisite rods.
I missed out on the previous release of the Studio composite SPN75 and SPN67. I've been trying to get my hands on one the past 6 months. Good news is that they just announced a 2023 limited release of both. I'm trying to lay some groundwork to get my hand on a SPN75. Primarily for light saltwater fishing. I just really like the solid builds of the SC rods and they are very versitile.
I can't even put into words how much I like my Designo (haha), maybe I just got lucky finding one that suited my style of fishing and it is one I grab for every chance I get. Easily a top 3 or 4 rod manufactuer. (they make thier own blanks, and some blanks for other brands)
Good luck!

City17Banner
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by City17Banner » Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:32 pm

I think that as anglers, we all have different fishing aspirations, and some rod manufacturers simply speak to us more than other rod makers do for the types of fishing we are engaged in from day to day. For example, my two favorite fishing techniques are shallow diving crankbaits and deep-water jig fishing. I've been fortunate enough to own many great JDM casting rods for both activities over the years, but I never truly enjoyed using those rods for either technique as much as I do today because of two simply fantastic JDM rods. For my shallow diving crankbaits, the Sedition White Falcon has redefined what a crankbait rod can do as it makes crankbait fishing a joy as opposed to a chore. Similarly, the Evergreen Kaleido Inspirare Rapid Gunner RSR has set a new standard in deep-water jig fishing for me and makes fishing these lures effortlessly enjoyable.

This season I am hopeful that the new EG War Gazelle will finally replace my broken EG Temujin TMJC-63ML Gazelle SGS and allow me to once again present 2-4g finesse lures on casting gear. In the same vein, I'm also hopeful that if the new EG War Gazelle is unable to accomplish this vaunted goal, the recently sourced Zenaq Spirado Blackart B65 casting rod will deliver the goods. Ultimately, no matter what style of fishing one prefers, there's certainly a JDM rod maker who can fulfill our needs, it's simply a matter of laying the groundwork to acquire the desired rod of choice.

Good luck with your bass fishing adventures and please have a great day!

ras
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ras » Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:17 pm

Thanks again, everyone. As I mentioned earlier, I think I'll deviate from the original topic more and more as I'm trying to learn. Having spent some time reading about the current Kaleido Inspirare and the new Orion rods, I'm under the impression that the Kaleido rods tend to be developed for specialized purposes, while most Orion rods seem to have similar tapers, and one of the main differences lies in their power ratings. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Is there an Orion model that stands out for no sinker rigs?

City17Banner
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by City17Banner » Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:58 pm

There are certainly some specialized rods within the Evergreen Kaleido Inspirare rod model line such as the incomparable Rapid Gunner RSR that is the very best heavy (3/4oz or heavier) bottom contact casting rod I own, then there are the more versatile rods such as the aforementioned Cougar Elite 7, Dire Wolf Wild, and Super Stallion GT2RS rods. I'll provide a short description of the EG rods I own and what lures/presentations I use them for as additional information for you since you are trying to learn more about them. This is hardly meant to be an all-inclusive list, rather it's a result of my on-the-water experience with all of these great JDM rods.

1. EG Super Steed: perhaps the perfect finesse hard bait moving rod I own with a great combination of light tip and forgiving mid-section/belly for keeping smallmouth bass pinned when they are hooked and at boat side. I use my Super Steed to present lures such as the 3/16oz EG Super Sledge and 3/16oz Bassday Sugar Deep 70 jerkbaits and the 1/4oz Imakatsu Gekiasa Shad shallow diving crankbait.

2. EG Cobra GT: The Cobra GT is an exceptional medium powered rod for presenting finesse spinnerbaits such as the 1/4oz OSP High Pitcher and 1/4oz Bottom Up Chibeeble. It should be noted that the Cobra rod models were specifically developed for shoreline fishing but have proven to be fantastic for use on my bass boats as well.

3. EG Grand Cobra RS Limited: I use this rod for presenting heavier spinnerbaits such as the 3/4oz Megabass SV-3 and the 1oz OSP High Pitcher. On a few occasions, I have also used this rod to present the 2-1/8oz Megabass Big-M 2.0 & 4.0 heavy crankbaits and it has done a fine job with these large lures, but I prefer the more forgiving taper of the Megabass Valkyrie VKC-74H+ for using these stout crankbaits on a daily basis.

4. EG Black Raven Extreme RS Limited: Without a doubt the EG Black Raven Extreme is the most sensitive JDM casting rod I own, and it excels at everything related to bottom contact presentations that are between 1/4-3/4oz for my smallmouth bass fishing needs. Due to the relatively short rod length of 6'6", I find that it is an exceptional Shakey head and light jig head rod for me and the combination of the 3/16oz Frenzy Nail Shakey Head Jig and a 6.5" Z-Man SMH Worm is unbeatable. On the light jig head side of the equation, the 5/16oz Beast Coast Tungsten Finesse Dragging Jig with a Missile Baits Mini D Chunk Trailer is a great combination for enticing smallmouth bass to bite when they are tight to rocky cover or not eating heavier jigs.

5. EG Cougar Elite 7: Simply the best 3/8-3/4oz jerkbait and hardbait rod in the Kaleido Inspirare model line! I especially like using the CE for deep-water suspending jerkbaits such as the Megabass Live-X Leviathan, Live-X Revenge, and Bassday Sugar Deep 90 lures. This rod also does a great job of presenting light/small swimbaits such as the 4" Biwaa Seven hard swimbait and the 5" Megabass MagDraft soft swimbait.

6. EG Dire Wolf Wild 7: This is my go-to heavy chatterbait rod and does an excellent job of presenting the heaviest 1-1/4oz Jackhammer matched with a 5" Deps Death Adder in deep cold-water conditions. In addition, the Dire Wolf has a great taper for presenting lipless crankbaits such as the LC LV-500 and the Nishine Lure Works Simcoe Heavy both in a straight line retrieve mode and in a "stroking" form of retrieve that is more akin to fishing football jigs.

7. EG Super Stallion GT2RS: Perhaps the most versatile of all the Kaleido Inspirare rod models, this is my favorite rod for presenting medium sized 2-3oz swimbaits such as the 2oz Huddleston Deluxe 68 Special and the 3oz Megabass MagDraft 8" model.

8. EG Grand Stallion GT-X: Perhaps the most flexible ultra-heavy powered rod I own, and I have used for everything from throwing frogs into heavy vegetation mats (relative for NW Wisconsin) for largemouth bass, and then using the rod to present large 4oz JDM glidebaits like the Gan Craft Jointed Claw 230 and the 5oz Baitsanity Explorer.

As for the Evergreen Orion rod models, the trio of 6'7" casting rods, the ML powered Degel, the ML+ powered Lightning Strike, and the M powered Cantata are indeed variations of the same rod that is meant to be a means for anglers to adjust rod power while retaining similar tapers. The EG Orion Black Rose, on the other hand, is an entirely different animal and I have found it to be a ready replacement for my EG Super Stallion GT2RS as it has similar versatility but possesses even more sensitivity than that already stellar rod.

Of course, now with the eminent debut of the new EG Super Stallion GT3Rs, all bets are off as to how the two rods will compare. I certainly plan on acquiring the new EG Super Stallion GT3RS when it finally comes out so that I can directly compare this new rod to the EG Orion Black Rose over the course of the coming fishing season.

Good luck with your bass fishing adventures and please have a great day!

StymoDe
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by StymoDe » Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:14 pm

I used to search for every post from Gary (bronzefly), I still do...
now I follow your posts closely. love those details and the passion behind them.
surprised you said Black Rose more sensitive than SS GT 2RS, a friend of mine owns the original TKLC71MH SS and many other higher end rods and he swear his TKLC 71MH SS is one of the most sensitive rods. never handle that rod myself though

oh yeah, did you miss your EG Stallion RS? :big grin:

City17Banner
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by City17Banner » Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:19 pm

StymoDe wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:14 pm
I used to search for every post from Gary (bronzefly), I still do...
now I follow your posts closely. love those details and the passion behind them.
surprised you said Black Rose more sensitive than SS GT 2RS, a friend of mine owns the original TKLC71MH SS and many other higher end rods and he swear his TKLC 71MH SS is one of the most sensitive rods. never handle that rod myself though

oh yeah, did you miss your EG Stallion RS? :big grin:
Thank you for the kind words sir! Gary is always someone who is worth following due to his rich knowledge and experience in all things JDM!

If I am passionate about smallmouth bass fishing and the fantastic JDM equipment that I am able to use to chase those wonderful fish, it's all due to my grandfather who first got me interested in fishing many decades ago when I was a young child. I can't imagine what he would say about the difference fishing out of his little "red" Lund boat with the iconic white Johnson 9.9hp tiller outboard that always started on the first pull of the rope every time would compare to fishing out of the over-engineered and over-provisioned Vexus AVX 1980 aluminum bass boat I now use as my primary "traveling" bass boat these days! I expect that he would comment that the new fishing boat is too comfortable and lacks character due to all the electronics, I know the only time he ever fished out of my then new 2001 Ranger DVX 522, he complained "it's like fishing from my living room, except without your grandmother to bring me some coffee!"

Hahaha! Yes, now that you mention it this is what happens when you prefer to type everything out in Word and then cut-and-paste into a hypertext markup window and have to deal with the ensuing formatting issues. :lol:

Here is my "lost" short description of the Evergreen Kaleido Inspirare Stallion RS Limited: Despite owning a large variety of JDM casting rods, there's always one rod that is in the rod locker of each of my two bass boats and that rod is the EG Stallion RS. The primary reason for the inclusion of the beloved EG Stallion in my rod lockers is somewhat paradoxical, simply because the rod does everything well without doing anything superbly. By that I mean that on the rare days that I guess correctly, and my fishing buddy and I are able to catch smallmouth bass with our preferred fishing techniques, the EG Stallion stays unused and forgotten in the rod locker.

However, on the many and frequent days of smallmouth bass fishing where Plans A, B, C, D, and E, have completely failed and Plan F finally works, we are then left with using the most flexible rod in the rod locker. Inevitably, that rod is the EG Stallion because it's more sensitive than the EG Cobra, but not as long as the EG Cougar Elite and Plan F usually means that the fish are neutral or plain inactive and we've left all the bottom contact rods at the lake cabin. The reality of smallmouth bass fishing is that the EG Stallion is always the "break in case of desperation" JDM casting rod that saves the day whenever we have to use Plan F because nothing else worked!

From those many instances, one may construe that the EG Stallion might indeed be the most versatile rod in the Evergreen Kaleido Inspirare rod model line and I can't say that this perspective is incorrect, but as always, there's so many choices available in this massive rod model line that there are truly no poor options only those less favored for any given fishing purpose. For me the EG Stallion will always have a place in my rod lockers. :big grin:

Please have a great day!