JDM Pistol Grip Topwater Rods

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: JDM Pistol Grip Topwater Rods

Post by John G » Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:31 am

Aquaftm45 wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:13 am
I follow a handle/rod maker out of Japan called "slowtaper". Here is some of his work.

Slowtaper.JPG
Those are very nice. I have had a Smith SuperStrike rod before but I regretfully sold it. What I have never owned much less even knew that these straight handles by Smith were available until recently. I plan on trying to acquire one.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:50 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:23 pm
Brightliver is a popular pistol grip brand in Japan. The site also had wide selection of rods.

http://brightliver.shop-pro.jp/?mode=ca ... t=p&page=4
Thank you for the link. I found these for sale on that wonderful auction site in Japan and I'm actually thinking the name is Bright River. Even the simplest things get lost in translation. :lol:
I did buy a Smith Superstrike rod that I haven't posted pictures of yet because I've also ordered a longer Smith straight handle for it off that auction site I was just talking about and it's not here yet. Anyway, back to the translation thing. I have a friend that lives in Macau and I was talking to him about the rod that I was going to buy and I said they say the action is 'throw'. It's not fast or moderate or extra fast but 'throw'. I asked him what do you think they mean by that. He said no it's not throw, it's slow. :lol:

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:37 am

I wonder how well these grips work with the new T-wing design from Daiwa????

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:26 pm

I did get a Smith SuperStrike G0-102 'Topwater Plugging' topwater rod and I bought a near mint Calcutta 100XT to go with it. The reel sits so low in the reel seat that even a 200 would palm great. I've had it for a couple of weeks and I took it out one time and the 6'6" length of mine is too uncomfortable for me to cast one handed with a pistol grip and I am also going to be using lures that are at least a 1/2oz so I needed a longer handle and it arrived today. I plan on using this one for prop baits. Image