JDM Site Missing Evergreen Brand

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: JDM Site Missing Evergreen Brand

Post by Johnny A » Mon May 01, 2023 6:14 pm

LowRange wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 5:17 pm
Once the JDM secret trick leaked to bassresource normies it was over. We have reports them buying JDM Zillons then returning them because "it made a click" from the inductor seating so they make the retailer pay to ship it back to the other side of the planet. Buying two competing products to test out and then shipping the one back you dont like is also somewhat common so I'm sure it goes on with JDM reel purchases now too. When buying from Tackle Warehouse paying full MSRP like Hank Hill it is fine to buy and try but doing this to JDM vendors isn't nice. This combined with pressure from Daiwa and Shimano will bring and end to easy to source JDM reels.

Unbe-pharking-livable

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue May 02, 2023 3:58 am

reason162 wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 3:44 pm
DirtyD64 wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 2:23 pm
True, I do the same. Some of these Facebook vendors had hundreds of stocks though. I'm just venting cause I made the mistake of grabbing like 3 J-hammers last order when I wish I had bought 40. I have saved a solid $1200 for fishing/play money (outside of the bank account), and wish I had used it more wisely. I could have bought a ton like the vendors and almost doubled my money. Doubling $1200 means a lot when you barely make 30K a year.
So let me get this straight - you're complaining about flippers ruining your ability to buy JDM lures on the cheap, while lamenting the fact that you didn't buy more JDM lures to flip?
Somewhat. I don't have a lot of stuff. I was kind of just giving a "can't beat them, join them" scenario. I talk and complain too much, should just be thankful I have gotten some stuff at great prices and let that be it. Aside of complaints and wondering what will happen though, I do fear the JDM purchases will come to an end or get some kind of financial levy on them. At the same time, I feel a lot of BFS reels wouldn't sell nearly as good without international sales, so maybe Daiwa and Shimano don't mind it? I mean if JDM vendors are getting their money's worth, they are happy. I do see why USDM vendors don't like it; it directly takes from their much higher cost sales. Most fisherman aren't buying a Zillion or Bantam though, and most of the ones who are have a $70k bass boat and just order it from TW, BassPro, or local. I bet less than 1 in 1000 or more anglers order/import reels/products from Japan.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Tue May 02, 2023 5:13 am

Just an additional FYI ... the ability to purchase JDM products directly from Japan was also undermined by US vendors who wanted to continue a stranglehold on access to markets and usurious pricing. To wit, when Megabass started selling items through it's website many years ago, the consumer was able to purchase directly from Megabass. Anyone with experience knows, it's not about pricing with direct from the manufacturer, it's availability!
Certain vendors complained to Megabass and rather than telling the distributors to pound sand, they cut off access, no more direct purchasing.

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmb27 » Tue May 02, 2023 6:34 am

Interesting thread.

I would argue the currency factor is what is really in play here.

The JDM product is a good 20% cheaper due to the US dollar's strength vis-a-vi the yen.

To wit, the US dollar (as of 5/2) is approximately 1 US dollar = 137 YEN.

In 2013, 1 US dollar = 97.60 YEN.

So, in about a decade, you have had the dollar appreciate about 40%, so of course, that dollar is gonna buy a whole lot more JDM gear.

In 2011 (it was 1 US dollar = 79.70 YEN) ouch if you are trying to source that JDM only rod or reel.

While no doubt the schmucks might be "ruining" things flipping lures or even worse, the reel situation that LowRange referenced, I would argue that almost all of this is due to the current exchange rate and where it has been over the last decade. Obviously, the Japanese manufacturers cannot do a whole lot about the currency exchange rate, so it remains to be seen if they limit JDM product being sold to the states.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sun May 07, 2023 11:27 am

jmb27 wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 6:34 am
Interesting thread.

I would argue the currency factor is what is really in play here.

The JDM product is a good 20% cheaper due to the US dollar's strength vis-a-vi the yen.

To wit, the US dollar (as of 5/2) is approximately 1 US dollar = 137 YEN.

In 2013, 1 US dollar = 97.60 YEN.

So, in about a decade, you have had the dollar appreciate about 40%, so of course, that dollar is gonna buy a whole lot more JDM gear.

In 2011 (it was 1 US dollar = 79.70 YEN) ouch if you are trying to source that JDM only rod or reel.

While no doubt the schmucks might be "ruining" things flipping lures or even worse, the reel situation that LowRange referenced, I would argue that almost all of this is due to the current exchange rate and where it has been over the last decade. Obviously, the Japanese manufacturers cannot do a whole lot about the currency exchange rate, so it remains to be seen if they limit JDM product being sold to the states.

Or it could be the manufacturer wants a captive market to foist it's inferior product on. Went to one of the JDM vendor sites and it's still packed with JDM Jackhammers. We'll see how long this last. American consumers DO HAVE the option to boycott certain manufacturers. I don't use the product, I just want to instigate until the bastards cry uncle.