Alphas CT SV 70 - Finesse Cranking

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Alphas CT SV 70 - Finesse Cranking

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:48 am

reason162 wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:20 am
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:50 am
I now own 7 reels and counting on that frame- 2 Alphas TW, 1 Alphas TW shallow, 1 Gekkabijin, 1 Alphas Air TW and 3 Tatula 80.
How does your Tat 80 compare in casting distance in the wind to your Alphas TW with lightish baits?

And do you feel the Alphas shallow gains much casting performance in that department vs the regular spooled Alphas?
The Alphas shallow spool is better with 1/8 than the stock spool. I use light braid mostly, so the shallow spool is more practical. Spool depth isn't a big deal to me tbh, unless you get down to the gekkabijin spool that's shallow AND narrow. I fish from shore mostly, so distance is important to me, and I can almost spool the stock Gekkabijin spool on a long cast, even with tiny braid. That's why I put the rays deep spool into it. I do think the alphas shallow spool is just right with 10-20# braid. I think I have 15# on mine.
The Tat 80 handles 3/16 well, and I think it is a better distance caster overall than the Alphas TW, mostly because it is a Mag-Z spool instead of SV. From 5/16 up, I actually prefer the Tat 80. If any significant wind comes into play, the Alphas gets the nod.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:51 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:48 am
The Alphas shallow spool is better with 1/8 than the stock spool. I use light braid mostly, so the shallow spool is more practical. Spool depth isn't a big deal to me tbh, unless you get down to the gekkabijin spool that's shallow AND narrow. I fish from shore mostly, so distance is important to me, and I can almost spool the stock Gekkabijin spool on a long cast, even with tiny braid. That's why I put the rays deep spool into it. I do think the alphas shallow spool is just right with 10-20# braid. I think I have 15# on mine.
The Tat 80 handles 3/16 well, and I think it is a better distance caster overall than the Alphas TW, mostly because it is a Mag-Z spool instead of SV. From 5/16 up, I actually prefere the Tat 80. If any significant wind comes into play, the Alphas gets the nod.
Thanks, that's a very helpful breakdown.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:07 pm

One thing I forgot to mention is that all my recent Daiwa reels had the spool bearings caked with grease. I flushed them in an ultrasonic cleaner with electronic contact cleaner, then relubed with red Daiwa oil and it was a significant improvement. The Alphas actually seemed to get better distance the more I used it. The Tat 80 casts really well with 3/8 and up after the bearing flush.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Apr 23, 2023 3:10 pm

I worry the same about having a 7.2 Millionaire CT (no gear replacement). I agree with everything about the light casting abilities, a ML rod with 8lb fluoro lets mine shine. I use it for lighter techniques and keep a looser drag, so hopefully the gears will survive a while in that aluminum frame...

Drew03cmc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Drew03cmc » Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:47 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:07 pm
One thing I forgot to mention is that all my recent Daiwa reels had the spool bearings caked with grease. I flushed them in an ultrasonic cleaner with electronic contact cleaner, then relubed with red Daiwa oil and it was a significant improvement. The Alphas actually seemed to get better distance the more I used it. The Tat 80 casts really well with 3/8 and up after the bearing flush.
I am looking to replace spool bearings on both of mine, likely with some from Hedgehog, any recommendations?
Andy

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:36 pm

Drew03cmc wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:47 am
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:07 pm
I am looking to replace spool bearings on both of mine, likely with some from Hedgehog, any recommendations?
How heavy are you going to be tossing? If you are staying in the 1/8-1/2 oz range, the BFS air bearings will be an excellent option.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Drew03cmc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Drew03cmc » Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:22 am

dragon1 wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:36 pm

How heavy are you going to be tossing? If you are staying in the 1/8-1/2 oz range, the BFS air bearings will be an excellent option.
I will be in that range almost exclusively.
Andy

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:25 pm

Drew03cmc wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:22 am
dragon1 wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:36 pm

I will be in that range almost exclusively.
That's what I would personally select from HH studios for bearings.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

BrettTRay
Angler
Angler

Post by BrettTRay » Wed Aug 30, 2023 12:31 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 3:10 pm
I worry the same about having a 7.2 Millionaire CT (no gear replacement). I agree with everything about the light casting abilities, a ML rod with 8lb fluoro lets mine shine. I use it for lighter techniques and keep a looser drag, so hopefully the gears will survive a while in that aluminum frame...
What do you mean by no gear replacement?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:59 am

BrettTRay wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 12:31 am
DirtyD64 wrote:
Parts for that specific reel come from Japan, because it is a JDM model. Plus, those gears are specific to the Alphas CT and Millionaire CT, so no compatibility with any other reel Daiwa ever made. Pretty sure the parts are now obsolete for those 2, meaning even Daiwa Japan won't have replacement parts.

fishonsc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fishonsc » Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:31 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:59 am
BrettTRay wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
Parts for that specific reel come from Japan, because it is a JDM model. Plus, those gears are specific to the Alphas CT and Millionaire CT, so no compatibility with any other reel Daiwa ever made. Pretty sure the parts are now obsolete for those 2, meaning even Daiwa Japan won't have replacement parts.

I was able to order multiple gear sets for the Alphas CT from Plat a few months back. Love that reel and plan on keeping the four I have going for a while. I have one that I have done nothing but cranking with going on three yrs and she is still smooth. The Alphas CT is the smoothest reels I own and I own multiple Steez reels.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:47 am

fishonsc wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:31 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
BrettTRay wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:

I was able to order multiple gear sets for the Alphas CT from Plat a few months back. Love that reel and plan on keeping the four I have going for a while. I have one that I have done nothing but cranking with going on three yrs and she is still smooth. The Alphas CT is the smoothest reels I own and I own multiple Steez reels.
If you plan to keep them long-term, I would check on parts availability. I was told those gear sets were no longer available about 4 weeks ago.

BrettTRay
Angler
Angler

Post by BrettTRay » Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:16 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:47 am
fishonsc wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:
BrettTRay wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:

If you plan to keep them long-term, I would check on parts availability. I was told those gear sets were no longer available about 4 weeks ago.
Just ordered a gear set for Millionaire CT in 7.2 ratio like 2 weeks ago. That reel is a current production reel that’s still listed on Daiwa’s JDM site so whoever told you they aren’t available anymore is insane.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:25 pm

BrettTRay wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:16 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:47 am
fishonsc wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:
BrettTRay wrote:

Just ordered a gear set for Millionaire CT in 7.2 ratio like 2 weeks ago. That reel is a current production reel that’s still listed on Daiwa’s JDM site so whoever told you they aren’t available anymore is insane.
Just checked again. You're correct. The Alphas CT actually is discontinued, but Millionaire CT is still current. Was thinking you meant the Alphas CT, didn't think about the Millionaire being available.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Sat Sep 02, 2023 6:48 am

BrettTRay wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:16 pm
Where did you order it from? And to be clear Millionaire and Alphas CT drive/pinion are the same?