Daiwa silver wolf

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Steven100
Angler
Angler

Daiwa silver wolf

Post by Steven100 » Sat May 06, 2023 10:05 am

Hi guys

Looking for the silver wolf. It is an upgrade zillion for lighter pe ?
Will you advise this or the new conquest bfs ?
Thanks

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Daiwa silver wolf

Post by goldrod » Sat May 06, 2023 5:48 pm

Steven100 wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 10:05 am
Hi guys

Thanks
What’s your intended use?
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat May 06, 2023 10:48 pm

Steven100 wrote:
Hi guys

Thanks
Yes, that is exactly what it is. It has a shallow PE Boost spool and was designed for saltwater use. It is basically the replacement for the Morethan PE TW 1000.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Sun May 14, 2023 1:52 pm

good for using up to 10lb braid, anything higher and you will start to run out of line capacity, I use mine on a L powered BFS rod and it will cast comfortably anything within that rods rating, though have added a set of hedgehog bfs bearings. I did try it on an m powered rod with 20lb braid but found i was down to last wrap of line on the spool on some casts. But i use sufix 832 which is a little bit thicker than some lines.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu May 18, 2023 1:27 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 10:48 pm
Steven100 wrote:
Hi guys

Thanks
Yes, that is exactly what it is. It has a shallow PE Boost spool and was designed for saltwater use. It is basically the replacement for the Morethan PE TW 1000.
I feel it would be closer to the 2019 Morethan PE SV replacement if the same spool were dropped in. For now IMO, it's a light braid, low line capacity reel capable of BFS/mag finesse +.

FWIW, I still feel the 2019 Morethan PE SV is built better.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu May 18, 2023 2:40 pm

dragon1 wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 1:27 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Steven100 wrote:
Hi guys

Thanks
I feel it would be closer to the 2019 Morethan PE SV replacement if the same spool were dropped in. For now IMO, it's a light braid, low line capacity reel capable of BFS/mag finesse +.

Yes, if only because it has a solid frame. The silver wolf, like the Zillion it is based on, has a plastic hood. The newest zillion is still a solid reel, though.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu May 18, 2023 7:09 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 2:40 pm
dragon1 wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 1:27 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Steven100 wrote:
Hi guys

Thanks

Yes, if only because it has a solid frame. The silver wolf, like the Zillion it is based on, has a plastic hood. The newest zillion is still a solid reel, though.
And hopefully the Silver Wolf has fewer plastic cosmetic pieces than the 22 Zillion as well.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Just_Bass » Sat May 20, 2023 12:59 pm

I’m not sure if it is a good or bad thing, but I don’t like anything Magseal as of right now. How do you guy maintenance Magseal bearing? Another difference from zillion is braid ready worm gear. On the other hand I don’t have problem bombcast Fatika or switch to 1/16-1/8oz roadrunner with Ray’s Spool and plenty of Sufix 832 15lb.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat May 20, 2023 5:40 pm

I think Cal is doing a review on this reel. He does a variety of finesse and big bait fishing to really test the casting...and line capacity :lol:
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat May 20, 2023 7:47 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 5:40 pm
I think Cal is doing a review on this reel. He does a variety of finesse and big bait fishing to really test the casting...and line capacity :lol:
Yeah fosho he'll be testing the line capacity.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat May 20, 2023 7:51 pm

Just_Bass wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 12:59 pm
I’m not sure if it is a good or bad thing, but I don’t like anything Magseal as of right now. How do you guy maintenance Magseal bearing? Another difference from zillion is braid ready worm gear. On the other hand I don’t have problem bombcast Fatika or switch to 1/16-1/8oz roadrunner with Ray’s Spool and plenty of Sufix 832 15lb.
I don't think the Silver Wolf has a faster levelwind than the 2019 Morethan PE SV, both are specifically designed for sea bass and light saltwater with braid...granted no reel in all my years of fishing with and owning lots of brands and models and many with mods; has showcased a faster levelwind than the TDX HSDF.

Also, I know that Rise has replaced all the MagSeal bearings on his (several) 2019 Morethan PE SV reels with standard high quality bearings, which is what I will do eventually with mine. Perhaps then Daiwa Japan will sell me another set of C6191 8.6:1 marine phosphor bronze-brass gears for my Morethan XH? Lol.

BrettTRay
Angler
Angler

Post by BrettTRay » Sun May 21, 2023 11:29 am

dragon1 wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 7:51 pm
Just_Bass wrote:
I don't think the Silver Wolf has a faster levelwind than the 2019 Morethan PE SV, both are specifically designed for sea bass and light saltwater with braid...granted no reel in all my years of fishing with and owning lots of brands and models and many with mods; has showcased a faster levelwind than the TDX HSDF.

Also, I know that Rise has replaced all the MagSeal bearings on his (several) 2019 Morethan PE SV reels with standard high quality bearings, which is what I will do eventually with mine. Perhaps then Daiwa Japan will sell me another set of C6191 8.6:1 marine phosphor bronze-brass gears for my Morethan XH? Lol.
Is C6191 the alloy they are using in newer reels? Always wondered what they used but could never track the info down. I’d imagine they would use an aluminum/brass alloy since the hardness is definitely higher than regular brass, bronze, or other copper based alloys unless you start talking about beryllium copper alloys but the toxicity of that stuff takes it off the table. I’ve never used a reel with aluminum gears and been kinda wary of them in the past but an A7075 or equivalent strength aluminum alloy that has been PVD/DLC coated would never, ever in a million years wear out. I’d like to get an aluminum geared Zillion/Steez and take gears out and get coated just to test out. You’d have to decide on what coating process to use though. Preferably one with thinnest layer. There’s hundreds of different PVD/DLC coating processes

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon May 22, 2023 11:44 am

BrettTRay wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 11:29 am
dragon1 wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 7:51 pm
Just_Bass wrote:

Is C6191 the alloy they are using in newer reels? Always wondered what they used but could never track the info down. I’d imagine they would use an aluminum/brass alloy since the hardness is definitely higher than regular brass, bronze, or other copper based alloys unless you start talking about beryllium copper alloys but the toxicity of that stuff takes it off the table. I’ve never used a reel with aluminum gears and been kinda wary of them in the past but an A7075 or equivalent strength aluminum alloy that has been PVD/DLC coated would never, ever in a million years wear out. I’d like to get an aluminum geared Zillion/Steez and take gears out and get coated just to test out. You’d have to decide on what coating process to use though. Preferably one with thinnest layer. There’s hundreds of different PVD/DLC coating processes
Hey Brett, the C6191 goes back a few years to the OG Zillion PE Special 6.3 and some of their SW spinning reels as well. For some, this gear material feels the same as standard brass, however the current 6.3 brass I have in my Zillion 103SV is not anywhere near as smooth and fluid as the original factory set in the Zillion PE Special I used to own. Also, IIRC, it is an aluminum/brass/bronze alloy...there is a discussion on it on the topic of the 2019 Morethan PE SV.

Yes, if there was a service that could PVD coat thin enough on a set of reel gears as to enhance and not negatively affect the performance, and the price wasn't too crazy high, that would be a killer mod/tune to any reel.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Tue May 23, 2023 1:52 pm

dragon1 wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 7:47 pm
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
I got about 70yds of #1 Spro Finesse Braid on the Silver Wolf with roughly 5 feet of Spro FC Leader in 6lb as backing ;)
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue May 23, 2023 8:36 pm

Cal wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 1:52 pm
dragon1 wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 7:47 pm
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
I got about 70yds of #1 Spro Finesse Braid on the Silver Wolf with roughly 5 feet of Spro FC Leader in 6lb as backing ;)
Whelp, that should be very sufficient for most all but the longest casting situations...I don't think that spool of line is meant for 1 oz lipless or Kastmasters, or perhaps you'll do that too? 8-)