Steez AGS 7'2" Heavy vs. BLX 7'2" Heavy+ vs. P5 7'3" FMJ vs. Poison Adrena 7'2" Heavy vs. XX Perfect Pitch

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
BassKat
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Steez AGS 7'2" Heavy vs. BLX 7'2" Heavy+ vs. P5 7'3" FMJ vs. Poison Adrena 7'2" Heavy vs. XX Perfect Pitch

Post by BassKat » Sun May 14, 2023 5:08 pm

I'm looking at these 5 rods and would greatly appreciate your experiences. I'm trying to select the one with the most precise tip for walking frogs (around not in heavy cover) & very accurately working weighted plastics & jigs through wood cover while still having just enough softness for skipping docks. I often kayak fish and can only bring a few rods. Thanks very much!
My Personal Worst https://photos.app.goo.gl/hHVeZoRFzGt5s4LfA

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Steez AGS 7'2" Heavy vs. BLX 7'2" Heavy+ vs. P5 7'3" FMJ vs. Poison Adrena 7'2" Heavy vs. XX Perfect Pitch

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue May 16, 2023 1:00 pm

The BLX is the most tip heavy rod I've ever held. It is also a broomstick with very little tip. I was very disappointed in that one.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

BassKat
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Steez AGS 7'2" Heavy vs. BLX 7'2" Heavy+ vs. P5 7'3" FMJ vs. Poison Adrena 7'2" Heavy vs. XX Perfect Pitch

Post by BassKat » Tue May 16, 2023 1:32 pm

Thanks for your input and time!

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Tue May 16, 2023 1:33 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 1:00 pm
The BLX is the most tip heavy rod I've ever held. It is also a broomstick with very little tip. I was very disappointed in that one.
Yah... Zander has a BLX rod.. probably not that exact model, but I'd scratch the BLX off your comparison list right away.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Tue May 16, 2023 5:14 pm

There are a couple of amazing rods in the BLX line up, but that 72H BLX could have been called XXH power and wouldn't have been over rated. Such a strange rod it is, and really no good for much of anything reasonable in my opinion...

The Steez AGS 72H Power Pitch is an amazing stick. It pitches beautifully, handles frogs like a champ, is light, insanely sensitive, nicely balanced, and easy on the eyes. As much as I like the XX Perfect Pitch, the Steez 72H (admittedly $200 higher) is on another playing field entirely. The P5 FMJ is more reasonably comparable in terms of price, and also a great rod. I've spent a LOT of time with the Steez, and more and more with the P5 FMJ. If I'm making a call right now in terms of kayak fishing and versatility, I'm giving the nod to the Steez. Feel free to shoot me a PM if I can be of any additional assistance.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

BassKat
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by BassKat » Tue May 16, 2023 6:24 pm

Awesome input guys...thanks! Bronzefly, I sure appreciate the great input! Since getting into the yak game, although I can't commit to any searches for one, I have resolved to search for three or four! The Steez AGS 7'2" Heavy sounds extremely versatile. The more versatile the stick, the more it's like buying a stick and a half, so I tend not to feel as bad about dropping bigger money.

Does anyone have experience with the Poison Adtrena 7'2" Heavy?

BrettTRay
Angler
Angler

Post by BrettTRay » Wed May 17, 2023 7:55 pm

As awesome as the BLX lineup is, especially the ones that aren’t even offered in the U.S. and have to be ordered through Japan, the 7’2H is a jig rod for bottom contact and is in my opinion a XH rod that would work great as a 6” hudd rod but definitely not for frog fishing although there are several rods in the BLX lineup specifically for frogs. Have to get through Japan though. The Black Label lineup is some of the finest rods I’ve ever held. Own the 7’0 SG swimbait, 6’11 LG swimbait, 5’5 SG jerk bait, 6’3 SG swimbait, and the previous generation Black Label 7’0 swimbait 1-8oz rod.

BrettTRay
Angler
Angler

Post by BrettTRay » Wed May 17, 2023 8:02 pm

BassKat wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 6:24 pm
Awesome input guys...thanks! Bronzefly, I sure appreciate the great input! Since getting into the yak game, although I can't commit to any searches for one, I have resolved to search for three or four! The Steez AGS 7'2" Heavy sounds extremely versatile. The more versatile the stick, the more it's like buying a stick and a half, so I tend not to feel as bad about dropping bigger money.

I fish a ton out of kayak and I own this rod so I have first hand knowledge of it and can send pics if wanted of it but the Daiwa Black Label SG 6’3 heavy swimbait rod sees most my usage out of a kayak. Rated to 4oz and they make a one and two piece in it I believe but I own and recommend the 2 piece and you can bomb 3/4oz plastics to 2.5oz swim baits. That’s as heavy as I’ve got up to and don’t fish much heavier than that most times but it’s an extremely sensitive rod, Fuji stainless SIC guides, extremely good cork, and 2 piece that makes transport nice. A dock skipping dream. Don’t let the short length fool you. It can sling em

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu May 18, 2023 8:19 am

BassKat wrote:

This is NOT the rod you want !
Let me be more specific the poison Adrena isn’t the rod you want
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

BassKat
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by BassKat » Thu May 18, 2023 9:39 am

Thanks very much for all your thoughtful inputs! It sounds like the Steez will offer the best taper and versatility. I'm going to try to handle one in-store soon, and I'll post an update once I get some time with it. Greatly appreciate the forum and guidance!

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed May 24, 2023 1:32 pm

That BLX sounds like the Legit Designs H+. I threw 4 3/4 oz bait with that rod recently. It's like the sawed off shotgun of swimbait rods. It's actually a useful rod for kayak swimbaiting and casting in close quarters. Not sure what the Japanese use them for but more than a few brands offer a stick like that so they use them for something.

Freddie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Freddie » Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:59 pm

goldrod wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 8:19 am
BassKat wrote:

This is NOT the rod you want !
Let me be more specific the poison Adrena isn’t the rod you want
What's the scoop on the Poison Adrena 7'2"?

fishonsc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fishonsc » Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:34 am

If you are walking frogs and bottom contact. Then I would go with the Steez 72h. Fantastic rod. No way would I work a frog with the P5 FMJ. The FMJ excels at bottom contact. Especially with a T-Rig. It is one fast powerful rod. I would also check out the NRX+ 844 mbr. It is similar to the Steez 72h. It does not balance as well as the Steez but it is more sensitive.