Tackle Shops to Visit in Japan

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Tackle Shops to Visit in Japan

Post by godshippy » Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:54 pm

A friend of mine is going to Japan next month and will be hitting up: Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, Lake Fuji, Fukuoka

Are there any tackle shops that you guys would recommend he visit?

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Tackle Shops to Visit in Japan

Post by SSS » Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:57 pm

You're lucky. I've seen some ridiculous prices on rods when pruchased directly from those small shops in Japan. Something like a brand new Megabass Triza going for $130, Orochi XXX models sold for under $110 and so on. I'd visit all those "hole in a wall" small shops, they might have some crazy deals.

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:24 pm

SSS wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:57 pm
You're lucky. I've seen some ridiculous prices on rods when pruchased directly from those small shops in Japan. Something like a brand new Megabass Triza going for $130, Orochi XXX models sold for under $110 and so on. I'd visit all those "hole in a wall" small shops, they might have some crazy deals.
I have another friend that's in Tokyo right now and is bringing me back two 2023 Metanium 100XGs! They're $222 each!

ras
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ras » Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:47 pm

Marunishi has that Metanium currently at that price on Rakuten and Yahoo Japan. Coupons are also common, so you can score this reel at even lower price. You'll need to pay shipping, but that isn't much these days for a small reel and there is one big advantage – you can skip a loooong flight to Japan and back) I know, the last bit is irrelevant, but you get the idea...

You are most likely to score some gems at ridiculous prices from stores that offer used gear. I'd look for those.

ras
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ras » Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:55 pm

Perhaps relevant: for whatever reason, many 22 Stella models can be had for half the price of US retail (even more than half, if you factor in the sales tax) from Japanese sellers. I know yen keeps sliding and that's certainly contributing, but the reels are also being discounted at the levels seen only in pre-orders. Somehow 22 Exist is holding up better.

Senkobass1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Senkobass1 » Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:14 pm

TackleBerry, Joshuya Jumbo, and Sansui are the best shops I went to while in Japan, tackleberry had the best selection of used lures and reels. Some of the reels looked basically brand new and the prices were unbeatable. Sansui had the best specific selection for bass and trout. Joshuya was the most common store but nice to have everything to do with fishing types in Japan.