WHY are there no short enthusiast pitching sticks?!?!

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: WHY are there no short enthusiast pitching sticks?!?!

Post by KP Duty » Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:16 am

A couple off the top of my head...

Steez Harrier 610 (3/8-2oz)
Poison Glorious 6'5" XH (max 150g's)

The 'regular fast' is pretty much a mag bass taper (mbr)

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:27 pm

There are few listed here worth considering:

viewtopic.php?t=90229
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:49 pm

dragon1 wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:27 pm

viewtopic.php?t=90229
Cant go wrong with EG..!!
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:20 pm

goldrod wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:49 pm
dragon1 wrote:

viewtopic.php?t=90229
Yeppers that RSR will certainly fit the bill!
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:58 am

dragon1 wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:20 pm
goldrod wrote:
dragon1 wrote:

viewtopic.php?t=90229
if i wasnt working on what I am working on, i would have gotten it.. S/C install next week Lord willing
6 dynos , 3 pre and 3 post
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:12 pm

goldrod wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:58 am
dragon1 wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:20 pm
goldrod wrote:
dragon1 wrote:

viewtopic.php?t=90229
if i wasnt working on what I am working on, i would have gotten it.. S/C install next week Lord willing
6 dynos , 3 pre and 3 post
Daaaayyyuuum Bro, gonna be BADASS!

BassKat
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by BassKat » Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:08 pm

Thanks to all! KP, thanks .. that Fast-to-Slow taper on Harrier & regular fast on the Glorius concerns me as I'm looking for a US fast to x-fast.

Dragon1, the Grand Cobra's lure listing including bladed jigs and crankbaits concerns me that it won't be at least US fast in taper. I agree this Evergreen track is a good one though.

The one rod in this search that seems perfect is the discontinued EG 6'10" Gunslinger. If I find that used, there's no question, it's going to be the rod.

I'm really not quite ready to give up and go up to 7' yet. For me, the 6'9 - 6'11" range is perfect for tip-down work - at 7' it's good but not great and I already have options. If I do give up and go 7', it is extremely likely to be the Rapid Gunner (HD version given what I'll be doing with it) or Poison Glorius 170H.
My Personal Worst https://photos.app.goo.gl/hHVeZoRFzGt5s4LfA

HellaBread
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by HellaBread » Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:02 am

BassKat wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:08 pm
Thanks to all! KP, thanks .. that Fast-to-Slow taper on Harrier & regular fast on the Glorius concerns me as I'm looking for a US fast to x-fast.

Dragon1, the Grand Cobra's lure listing including bladed jigs and crankbaits concerns me that it won't be at least US fast in taper. I agree this Evergreen track is a good one though.

The one rod in this search that seems perfect is the discontinued EG 6'10" Gunslinger. If I find that used, there's no question, it's going to be the rod.

I'm really not quite ready to give up and go up to 7' yet. For me, the 6'9 - 6'11" range is perfect for tip-down work - at 7' it's good but not great and I already have options. If I do give up and go 7', it is extremely likely to be the Rapid Gunner (HD version given what I'll be doing with it) or Poison Glorius 170H.
The harrier was built specifically for what you described, It’s a heavy cover accurate casting specific stick for working jigs but is also versatile for other baits. Some other possible options to consider are orochi x10 f5.5-69xt bearing down, Steez ags target sniper 691MHF (idk if this was bought up before), Raid Japan GAC-610 baltoro, Destroyer carbonhead F6-69X super destroyer, or if you can manage to find it somewhere the daiwa heartland 6101H / XHFB-RR17

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:43 am

HellaBread wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:02 am
BassKat wrote:

The harrier was built specifically for what you described, It’s a heavy cover accurate casting specific stick for working jigs but is also versatile for other baits. Some other possible options to consider are orochi x10 f5.5-69xt bearing down, Steez ags target sniper 691MHF (idk if this was bought up before), Raid Japan GAC-610 baltoro, Destroyer carbonhead F6-69X super destroyer, or if you can manage to find it somewhere the daiwa heartland 6101H / XHFB-RR17
I have the RAID Baltoro and the Harrier 6'10. I originally bought the Baltoro for cranks, jerkbaits and bladejigs. It's being moved over to Pitchin' and worm duties. I'm selling the Harrier because I'm able to move all my rods to a single rod manufacturer. It's nice to be able to do that. Currently, the Harrier holds my PB record, an 8 lb 8 oz LMB on an O.S.P Do Live shad.

HellaBread
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by HellaBread » Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:46 am

Single manufacturer is nice for dealing with any issues. I got rods from everyone under the sun + custom builds so theres no cohesion to my gear 😂. Makes tracking and dealing with warranties kinda a pain in the ass but w/e.

HellaBread
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by HellaBread » Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:04 am

BassKat wrote:
I mean you gotta remember how much handle length is gonna affect that. A 7ft rod vs a 6’10-6’11 rod isn’t much of a difference if that 1-2inches is in the butt. The opposite is also gonna be true on the 6’10 rod if it has an extremely short butt section like my super eiger it effectively sticks out past your hand as much as a 7ft from another company

for reference my 6’9 super eiger vs my 7ft custom nfc build when lined up at the reel seat which is where you’re gonna be holding the thing in use.
Attachments
IMG_3794.jpeg
IMG_3794.jpeg (139.62 KiB) Viewed 20790 times

BassKat
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by BassKat » Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:17 pm

Thanks guys! For the jig pitching aspect of this rod, I want excellent sensitivity, as good or close to the best. If the sought rod was just a pitchin jigs, I'd be more open to a moderate to fast-moderate taper for sure. The taper problem is that the whole search is for a stick that's also excellent for tip-down frogging. Because I do not want to throw braid (outside of the apex of frog season) and I'll also be out of a kayak some with far less leverage on hooksets, I must get to the backbone fast. I've tried fast moderates before and, although I highly value the versatility, I don't like them for frogging.

I've fished the F6-69X Super Destroyer and it was too slow. The Baltoro is too much to the medium-heavy side. The Orochi x10 F5.5-69xt Bearing Down is a candidate and I'm going to read some of the other threads here and follow up. I'd originally passed it by because I thought it was more of a medium-heavy, but it's rated out to 1.5oz.

Great call on the Steez AGS Target Sniper 691MHF. I have it and really like it. The taper is perfect and I often throw smaller frogs like the Kaera on it. However, I'm looking for this rod to go above it and be used for jigs w/ trailers coming in around 1 - 1.25oz, larger frogs, and when I want to throw a little deeper into cover.

Hella, you make a great point on longer handle lengths subtracting from the trigger-to-tip length related to my length concern for tip-down frogging. If anyone here has the Glorius 170H or Rapid Gunner, I'd greatly appreciate a trigger-to-tip measurement on those rods. Absent finding a discontinued EG Gunslinger, I think either of those rods would be excellent if the length works.

HellaBread
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by HellaBread » Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:26 am

170H poison glorious is 181.7cm or 5’11.5” in front of the grip section but that’s not counting the length that connects the 2 pieces for the grip joint so imma ballpark around 5’10”-5’9” in front of the grip

dennis_rf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dennis_rf » Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:11 am

With the big Japanese fishing shows and 2024 releases coming up, maybe the perfect rod will be introduced later this month

BassKat
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by BassKat » Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:14 am

Glad to know a flurry of releases are forthcoming!