SS SV parts swap

Show off your latest and greatest catch, purchase, or acquisition with fellow TT Forum members.
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

SS SV parts swap

Post by LowRange » Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:50 am

I swapped some parts between my two SS SVs. I want to find a home for the SS SV105 and figured it would be good on a Orochi xXx Cover Hacking that I have yet to purchase. I have a hole in my lineup where I lack a good shortish stick to tossing 4-5 inch senkos to cover roll casting and skipping 3/8 dark sleepers and power shakey heads with beavers. I have gen 1 EMTF and IP79 but that rod is 7'5" and the combo is heavy. That's my jig stick, T rig and dark sleeper rod.

Standing in for the cover hacking is another xxx rod to get an idea how it looks. It's a little gaudy but I like it. I pulled my SLP works kit parts off the SS SV103 and put them on the 105 and put the purple parts I had on the 105 into the 103. The 105 gets the strong magnets off an IS73 which should help tame the Amo fixed inductor and TDZ R+ spools I plan to use in the reel.

The 103 also gets a Steez LTD 105 SV spool with is noticeably lighter in the hand than the stock 105 spool. Easily my lightest SV spool. The 103 with purple parts and Steez LTD 105 SV spool in on a Volkey 68L BFS. The Pixy with Airy Red spool was great at bombing ned rigs but couldn't skip them to save its life. I can now use the SS SV as an alternate ned rig and weightless finesse worm reel for the Volkey with 7# to 10# flouro around docks and the Pixy for ned blasting over open water.
Last edited by LowRange on Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

amso4
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: SS SV parts swap

Post by amso4 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:16 pm

I have both the SS SV 103 and 105. Stock spools seem overbraked to me. I put Rays inductor on the 103 and its better, but not a long caster. I got a fixed inductor Amo and the 3-Stop Ray and both of these are wild to me. Is there a way to get stronger magnets for the SS SV for using fixed inductor spools as you mention? I don't think I have any other reels to pull stronger magnets from. I like the SS SV platform, but just cannot find a spool setup that I like.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: SS SV parts swap

Post by LowRange » Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:28 pm

amso4 wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:16 pm
I have both the SS SV 103 and 105. Stock spools seem overbraked to me. I put Rays inductor on the 103 and its better, but not a long caster. I got a fixed inductor Amo and the 3-Stop Ray and both of these are wild to me. Is there a way to get stronger magnets for the SS SV for using fixed inductor spools as you mention? I don't think I have any other reels to pull stronger magnets from. I like the SS SV platform, but just cannot find a spool setup that I like.
I had the same problem. The Amo was great in my SS SV105 throwing a frog but as soon as I tried anything else it was a disaster. Same with the Ray's Long Cast 103/1016 spool. The solution is to pick up a used megabass IS reel or just the magnets. These are MB versions of the old Steez and for whatever reason they are fitted with strong magnets. Another option may be the SV103 magnets. I hear they are stronger than the SS SV reels. Not sure if that set plate and magnets fit the SS SV reels. I would assume so. Best thing to do is to put up a want to buy thread in the classifieds here. This place has the single greatest collection of guys tinkering with reels out there and there are parts to be had. You may even be able to cut a trade with someone with an MB IS reel. SV spools in those reels suck because of how strong the magnets are in them. You could make a compelling argument to trade set plates with magnets. It's just one or two screws holding them to the side plate.