Showing off my new K2's - now with a fishing report

Show off your latest and greatest catch, purchase, or acquisition with fellow TT Forum members.
froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Showing off my new K2's - now with a fishing report

Post by froteur » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:27 pm

Gone Phishin wrote:
froteur wrote:
Gone Phishin wrote:
froteur wrote:
5poundhooker wrote:Rods look great and I appreciate the honest review and fishing report.
thanks. you're welcome.

the 715 reminds me a LOT of my old 844 glx ---- especially when fishing jigs.
Would you say it's about as fast as the 844? Also, are the K2's in general as fast as the MBR line?

Thanks.
no. not as fast. i think mattman put it perfectly in another thread. it's a slow FAST rod or a fast Mod-Fast rod. it reminds me of my steez's. and i LIKE my steez's. :big grin: though, i think the 715 is more sensitive than my compile-x's
It sounds like they would earn a spot in my rotation. I really like my 7'1" Compile-X for 1/4oz rubber jig/beaver combos, but I do wish it was a tad more sensitive.

Thanks buddy. 8-)
before the k2 715 the 7'1" compile-x's were my second favorite rods. the 715 has now displaced them.

you're welcome.

SPAZ
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by SPAZ » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:13 pm

so what's 1 on your list? :)

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:03 pm

SPAZ wrote:so what's 1 on your list? :)
it's still my 8' steez. if i can build a phenix k2 flipping and punching stick though ......... :big grin: :big grin: (or maybe even "just" a phenix umbx one).

ulysi
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ulysi » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:42 pm

the 7'9 recon will give the steez a run for the money. i own both thats why i dare make such bold statement.

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:53 pm

ulysi wrote:the 7'9 recon will give the steez a run for the money. i own both thats why i dare make such bold statement.
i own both too. :big grin:

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:16 am

finally gonna get a chance to fish the recon 796 against my 8' steez this weekend.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:35 am

froteur wrote:finally gonna get a chance to fish the recon 796 against my 8' steez this weekend.
Kool...I'm very interested! :-k
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:50 am

froteur wrote:
Gone Phishin wrote:
froteur wrote:
5poundhooker wrote:Rods look great and I appreciate the honest review and fishing report.
thanks. you're welcome.

Would you say it's about as fast as the 844? Also, are the K2's in general as fast as the MBR line?

Thanks.
no. not as fast. i think mattman put it perfectly in another thread. it's a slow FAST rod or a fast Mod-Fast rod. it reminds me of my steez's. and i LIKE my steez's. :big grin: though, i think the 715 is more sensitive than my compile-x's
Don't the JDM manufacturers call this action "regular"?

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:10 pm

Tokugawa wrote:
froteur wrote:
Gone Phishin wrote:
froteur wrote:
thanks. you're welcome.

Thanks.
Don't the JDM manufacturers call this action "regular"?
they may call it "regular" but i call it "what i like". :big grin:

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:12 pm

dragon1 wrote:
froteur wrote:finally gonna get a chance to fish the recon 796 against my 8' steez this weekend.
Kool...I'm very interested! :-k
sorry, gang, but no report.

the water/bite wasn't right for me to take out two flipping/punching sticks. i didn't take out the steez and only used the recon for a few casts. i'll have to give a full report when i get them both out at the same time.

sorry. :oops:

-perry-

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:43 pm

oh yeah ...... i "did" fish the heck out of my k2 764 baitcaster. i had it built for heavier dropshotting in the delta and clear lake. worked great. used the core with 10 lb super natural and (mostly) a 3/8 ounce weight. caught several fish on this rig. nothing of size, but the rod handled everything nicely. still very sensitive and sooooooooooooo light.

i'm gonna love this rod! :big grin: :big grin:

on to clear lake next month.

-perry-

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Wed May 02, 2012 3:40 pm

ulysi wrote:the 7'9 recon will give the steez a run for the money. i own both thats why i dare make such bold statement.
well, ulysi, you are right.

i fished the steez and the recon side by side on monday. the recon DOES give the steez a run for it's money. i had curados with 65 pound braid on both rods. i did NOT, however, fish the same baits. i had a jig with trailer on the steez and a t-rigged beaver on the recon. caught fish on the jig but not on the beaver. i just didn't throw the beaver as much since i was catching them on a jig. in any case, the recon held up VERY well ... good sensitivity, light weight, and i like that it has some tip to it.

next time, maybe i'll swap the jig and the beaver around and see.

-perry-

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Thu May 03, 2012 11:42 pm

froteur wrote:

i fished the steez and the recon side by side on monday. the recon DOES give the steez a run for it's money. i had curados with 65 pound braid on both rods. i did NOT, however, fish the same baits. i had a jig with trailer on the steez and a t-rigged beaver on the recon. caught fish on the jig but not on the beaver. i just didn't throw the beaver as much since i was catching them on a jig. in any case, the recon held up VERY well ... good sensitivity, light weight, and i like that it has some tip to it.

-perry-
:shock: Wow, I might have to check out that Recon.
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Fri May 04, 2012 10:58 am

zodiak311 wrote:
froteur wrote:

-perry-
:shock: Wow, I might have to check out that Recon.
especially since it is LESS than 1/3rd the cost of the steez.