FX Air

Show off your latest and greatest catch, purchase, or acquisition with fellow TT Forum members.
ninjaman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: FX Air

Post by ninjaman » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:46 am

Now that it seems most of the smoke is gone I just want to say;
Nice mod =D> =D> =D>
I will probably try this myself!

bassinmaumee
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bassinmaumee » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:52 am

Cool mod like the bearing idea thinner is a neat concept. Now I wish I wasnt poor lol

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:36 pm

Ben,

Firstly of all I'd like to apologise with my assessment pre test of your design. It was out of line and I'm sorry.

Secondly, I was so very wrong. I tried again using your instructions in adding an IS finesse spool to a T3 SV. It may be the tolerances of the SV is not the same as the FX68R but a different shimming layout was needed. In the end I found a combination to fit both the original SV spool and the IS.

When it came time to casting, the tale of the tape revealed the benefits of the IS Finesse + Mag 3D.

Free mode: Small stick baits, spy baits, poppers, lipless cranks, micro jigs +trailers. with this 40m of 8 lb goes really really fast. I ended up putting and extra 10m on just in case.

Normal mode: Jerkbaits, micro Spinnerbaits, shallow cranks, even deeper cranks like dunk48sp casted beautifully.

Max Brake: For casting the above in headwind or pitching where I want a soft landing and of course skipping weightless plastics.

Upon my LTZ yet again failing this to be my stop gap BFS reel until I decided on something new.
I don't know if I need to do this anymore.

Thank you for an awesome addition to TTF material and haha this thread should really go to the Supertuning section.
This tuning solution devised by Ben (Kakaryan) have provided a highly versatile and user friendly setup for owners of T3 platforms wishing to adopt baitcast finesse systems.

kakaryan wrote:After spending hours browsing Japanese blogs and sharing tuning thoughts with TT fellow (thank you africanbass), I present you the FX Air. :lol:

The best finesse spool option for Megabass FX68? Megabass IS finesse spool of course! 8-)

However, the IS finesse spool (Steez platform) doesn't perfectly fit the FX68 (T3 platform). Both share 34mm dia. but the IS spool shaft is a little bit longer. You cannot close the FX68 sideplate.

A previous solution for T3 was to remove a brass shim under the sideplate bearing. By doing this, it gives some space and now you are able to close the sideplate. But when it comes to the FX68, the spool still feels tight and doesn't spin freely as usual. We need more space!

A new solution is to replace the spool bearing with a thinner one, so that the spool could sit deeper in the reel. By replacing the stock 5x11x4 spool bearing with a 5x11x3 bearing. Now, it gives 1mm more space.

With this new solution, the IS finesse spool could sit perfectly in the FX68. There is more than enough space for you to adjust the cast control knob as well. And of course, the spool spins freely as expect. :big grin:

Enjoy. :whistle:

slicksouthpaw
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by slicksouthpaw » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:28 pm

bump!!!

any more updates on this mos? im thinking of getting a is finesse spool for my t3 1016.

how does it compare to the top dog bfs reels?

IAY
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by IAY » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:48 pm

slicksouthpaw wrote:bump!!!

any more updates on this mos? im thinking of getting a is finesse spool for my t3 1016.

Usually more helpful to PM the OP, instead of bringing up an old thread... BUMP means bring up MY post btw...

slicksouthpaw
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by slicksouthpaw » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:33 pm

oh ok let me rephrase myself.

TTT

i'd like to hear anyones input whos done this mod. it would be greatly appreciated.

kakaryan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by kakaryan » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:09 am

slicksouthpaw wrote:
The only top dog I'd personally rate higher than this "FX Air" is the T3 Air. Full stop.

Slightly more advanced Air brake inductor vs fixed inductor but then the IS finesse spool is better for having bigger dia. 34mm vs 32mm.......

slicksouthpaw
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by slicksouthpaw » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:07 pm

thanks!! need a new bfs rig and got a t3 1016 laying around. this might be my next project

Martin Lo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Martin Lo » Sun May 03, 2015 10:44 am

Only top dogs IMO over a T3 Air:

slicksouthpaw
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by slicksouthpaw » Sun May 03, 2015 5:17 pm

sweet. what mods exactly?

Martin Lo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Martin Lo » Sun May 03, 2015 5:36 pm

slicksouthpaw wrote:sweet. what mods exactly?
None. By myself anyways.
First two build by E_bassfisher. I believe he used bits from T3As, Steezs and PXs for it. Never had time to figure it out exactly why but the older mag setup of the alphas works great with the torque actuated inductors.
the last one by Yukihiro Sawamura. 8.1:1 retrieve.

Top bearings, no spool over 6g and not a touch gram of Zaion in any 3 reels ;)

kakaryan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by kakaryan » Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:52 am

Martin Lo wrote:
Sun May 03, 2015 10:44 am

Only top dogs IMO over a T3 Air:
Now I'd just say F U! :lol:

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:29 pm

Times have changed more than just a little bit with BFS gear for sure.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."