TD-Z Owners Guild

Show off your latest and greatest catch, purchase, or acquisition with fellow TT Forum members.
Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

TD-Z Owners Guild

Post by Teal101 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:14 am

Nothing quite has the cult following like the TD-Z. This is for any TD-Z variant, Zillions not allowed!

The newest addition...

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: TD-Z Owners Guild

Post by Fishing4Fun » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:43 am

Those are sharp looking Teal and I am quite fond of the "top shelfers" (Yellow and Blue)! :D

Here are a pair of twins. They are the TDZ 100m models but one has sky blue parts and the other has plain blue parts. Riding on a H3 and NRX!

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:46 am

Ive got 2. One is a perfectly functioning beater reel. The other is tricked out but torn down waiting for me to get good at painting...

What is your favorite TDZ spool? I'm torn between the ZPI shallow and RCS 10XX spools. I feel like I'm using a spinning reel with the ZPI it is so smooth and forgiving. The RCS give me a touch more distance for cranking though I think.

I had to sell my Zillion Type R (my dream reel) because it was too pretty and I never used it over the beater TDZ.

*edit* I forgot that I have 2 lefty pitching models. Only lefty casters I use because I can leave my hand in one spot unlike normal casters.

DaveJ

pharmboy2010
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by pharmboy2010 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:16 pm

Now this is my kind of thread! Totally jealous of that yellow I'ze by the way.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:21 pm

So far it has to be the R+ spool. I can pitch, skip, and cast with it very well. Distance is bar none with it. The ZPI shallow is a great spool for working around a lot of cover as it is very forgiving. I actually take a 3/4oz punching jig and pitch it straight into reeds letting it bounce back in them and nary a backlash, like you said very forgiving. I have yet to cast the ZPI deep, just got them. The Blue Emblem I have lawn casted and it is extremely forgiving while sacrificing little distance. I plan on testing it on the water this weekend weather permitting. The Type-R spool is wild. I used my Ito stock for awhile with it and I was very pleased with the distance. It did overrun more often overhand and I didn't like it around gnarly cover. It is a very fast spool. The 100m didn't impress me. I felt it wasnt good enough around 3/8oz distance wise and that it wanted to overrun more with bulky baits. I have yet to use a stock 103 or stock 105. I've been thinking of swapping a R or R+ inductor on the 105 I have laying around and see what kind of pitching machine I can create. Of course the SV spools are the name of the game when it comes to control. I wouldn't say as forgiving as the BE or the ZPI shallow, but it will edge both those distance wise in my hands. I also tried a 1016 and favor the SV105 to it. Something about the 1016 just didn't wow me. It felt like I had to brake it too much to keep control at max distance and honestly my SV105 casts just as far. It is tamer for pitching than a R+, but I liked that I could poke distant targets with the R+ whereas the 1016 I felt the lack of speed limited it as number one all around. I've been looking for a 1010 to try out now and give it a go against the SV105 and BE.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:27 pm

My Ito, as God intended it with a ZPI-002 MJR and 7:1 gears

My current "beater" with an Ito spool that I swapped a R+ inductor onto with 6.3:1 gears, currently residing on my project C40 :lol:

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:37 pm

Better hurry before Filipe post his!!

Bass1980
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bass1980 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:44 pm

Haha yeah I already seen his TDZ collection so post up before he shuts this one down too.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:52 pm

Teal101 wrote:So far it has to be the R+ spool. I can pitch, skip, and cast with it very well. Distance is bar none with it. The ZPI shallow is a great spool for working around a lot of cover as it is very forgiving. I actually take a 3/4oz punching jig and pitch it straight into reeds letting it bounce back in them and nary a backlash, like you said very forgiving. I have yet to cast the ZPI deep, just got them. The Blue Emblem I have lawn casted and it is extremely forgiving while sacrificing little distance. I plan on testing it on the water this weekend weather permitting. The Type-R spool is wild. I used my Ito stock for awhile with it and I was very pleased with the distance. It did overrun more often overhand and I didn't like it around gnarly cover. It is a very fast spool. The 100m didn't impress me. I felt it wasnt good enough around 3/8oz distance wise and that it wanted to overrun more with bulky baits. I have yet to use a stock 103 or stock 105. I've been thinking of swapping a R or R+ inductor on the 105 I have laying around and see what kind of pitching machine I can create. Of course the SV spools are the name of the game when it comes to control. I wouldn't say as forgiving as the BE or the ZPI shallow, but it will edge both those distance wise in my hands. I also tried a 1016 and favor the SV105 to it. Something about the 1016 just didn't wow me. It felt like I had to brake it too much to keep control at max distance and honestly my SV105 casts just as far. It is tamer for pitching than a R+, but I liked that I could poke distant targets with the R+ whereas the 1016 I felt the lack of speed limited it as number one all around. I've been looking for a 1010 to try out now and give it a go against the SV105 and BE.
I have an extra Steez 103 spool which is essentially an R+ Spool right? Might be time to give it a shot. I don't think I ever actually used it in the Steez it came in before I sold it. I swapped in a T3 MX spool that had 30# slick 8 on it and it was so great I never gave the 103 a chance...

DaveJ

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:57 pm

IlliniDawg01 wrote:
Teal101 wrote:So far it has to be the R+ spool. I can pitch, skip, and cast with it very well. Distance is bar none with it. The ZPI shallow is a great spool for working around a lot of cover as it is very forgiving. I actually take a 3/4oz punching jig and pitch it straight into reeds letting it bounce back in them and nary a backlash, like you said very forgiving. I have yet to cast the ZPI deep, just got them. The Blue Emblem I have lawn casted and it is extremely forgiving while sacrificing little distance. I plan on testing it on the water this weekend weather permitting. The Type-R spool is wild. I used my Ito stock for awhile with it and I was very pleased with the distance. It did overrun more often overhand and I didn't like it around gnarly cover. It is a very fast spool. The 100m didn't impress me. I felt it wasnt good enough around 3/8oz distance wise and that it wanted to overrun more with bulky baits. I have yet to use a stock 103 or stock 105. I've been thinking of swapping a R or R+ inductor on the 105 I have laying around and see what kind of pitching machine I can create. Of course the SV spools are the name of the game when it comes to control. I wouldn't say as forgiving as the BE or the ZPI shallow, but it will edge both those distance wise in my hands. I also tried a 1016 and favor the SV105 to it. Something about the 1016 just didn't wow me. It felt like I had to brake it too much to keep control at max distance and honestly my SV105 casts just as far. It is tamer for pitching than a R+, but I liked that I could poke distant targets with the R+ whereas the 1016 I felt the lack of speed limited it as number one all around. I've been looking for a 1010 to try out now and give it a go against the SV105 and BE.
I have an extra Steez 103 spool which is essentially an R+ Spool right? Might be time to give it a shot. I don't think I ever actually used it in the Steez it came in before I sold it. I swapped in a T3 MX spool that had 30# slick 8 on it and it was so great I never gave the 103 a chance...

DaveJ
Correct it is a R+ spool with dimples, not sure if the spool itself is the same Gigas material though. It is notoriously wild in the Steez, but the TD-Z has stronger sideplate magnets so it calms down in the TD-Z. It is my favorite all around spool so far.

pharmboy2010
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by pharmboy2010 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:11 pm

Teal101 wrote:
IlliniDawg01 wrote:

DaveJ
Correct it is a R+ spool with dimples, not sure if the spool itself is the same Gigas material though. It is notoriously wild in the Steez, but the TD-Z has stronger sideplate magnets so it calms down in the TD-Z. It is my favorite all around spool so far.
I'm pretty sure the Steez spool is aluminum.

pharmboy2010
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by pharmboy2010 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:14 pm

IlliniDawg01 wrote:
What is your favorite TDZ spool? I'm torn between the ZPI shallow and RCS 10XX spools. I feel like I'm using a spinning reel with the ZPI it is so smooth and forgiving. The RCS give me a touch more distance for cranking though I think.

DaveJ
Overall, the Type R+ is my favorite spool. I'm really just starting to use some ZPI spools that I picked up and can't comment on them yet. I do really like the original Type R inductor for pitching.

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:56 pm

Oldie but goodie,
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:32 pm

Stunning R+ repaint! You have such a great collection of customized reels. How was the star done?

belippy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by belippy » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:47 pm