BFS and Trout baitcast combos

Show off your latest and greatest catch, purchase, or acquisition with fellow TT Forum members.
adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: BFS and Trout baitcast combos

Post by adam lancia » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:51 am

Edward78 wrote:Is that the SV light limited, I just got one yesterday in the mail along with a Alphas Air Stream Custom. I cant wait to get out and try them out.
I have an Alphas ASC and I'd love to hear how you think the two compare.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:18 am

Edward78 wrote: Is that the SV light limited, I just got one yesterday in the mail along with a Alphas Air Stream Custom. I cant wait to get out and try them out.
Yeah, the SV Light LTD-TN. Killer reel. I love it.

That's funny. I bought both of those reels back to back late last year. Just ordered a standard alphas air, too.
This is the way.

Edward78
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Edward78 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:54 am

adam lancia wrote:
Edward78 wrote:Is that the SV light limited, I just got one yesterday in the mail along with a Alphas Air Stream Custom. I cant wait to get out and try them out.
I cant wait to use the ASC, didn't get all the good things I hear about this real, I have a Alphas Air and do like it but the ASC just feels different in hand a good different so I'm looking forward to using it.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:59 am

adam lancia wrote:
They're definitely both very nice, smooth, and lightweight BFS reels. The SV will cast further and pitch better, plus you can skip with it or use heavy line for pitching typical bass baits. I really want to try it on a MH rod for skipping and pitching jigs and tubes. Despite the magnesium frame and sideplate, it feels pretty solid in my hands. That may be due to the aluminum set plate. I heard it my have hybrid brass/aluminum gears, and if so I imagine that has something to do with it, too. I was able to cast 1/8th using it on a ML rod rated down to 3/16 no problem. I may take it out today on a light powered rod rated down to 1/16th and see how it fares. If this fishing is slow, and i think it might be, I may even pop it on the UL and see how close to 1/32 it can get using 8# fluoro.

The ASC will cast lighter with less effort. With an aluminum frame and brass gears, it feels like a little tank in hand. It also has the aluminum set plate. It has a Zaion side plate, so it only weighs a little over a half ounce more than the SV Light. The spool has very easy start up, but remains controlled and predictable. I didn't feel any need to flush or replace the stock bearings. They're good to go. It's intended for plugging for trout in streams, so the fixed inductor makes one handed casting a breeze. It has all the drag and power of the Alphas SV, though, so there's no reason you can't fish for bass with it. Mine is on a bass BFS rod rated 1/32-1/4 and the reel really opens up the bottom end of that range. I need to remember to get some more Keitech micro jigs...
This is the way.

Edward78
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Edward78 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:49 am

poisonokie wrote:
Edward78 wrote: Is that the SV light limited, I just got one yesterday in the mail along with a Alphas Air Stream Custom. I cant wait to get out and try them out.
Yeah, the SV Light LTD-TN. Killer reel. I love it.

That's funny. I bought both of those reels back to back late last year. Just ordered a standard alphas air, too.
Just received them yesterday from Japan Lure Shop, they even included 2 MegaBass lures for free. Just spooled up the SV Light with 15lb PowerPro Slick8 and 8lb fluoro leader and the ASC with Green 8lb PowerPro and a 6lb fluoro leader. What do you throw on your SV Light mostly ?

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:56 am

To tell the truth, I haven't had just a whole lot of time with it. It's great for casting smaller jerkbaits and pitching 1/16th shakey heads, I can tell you that much. Depending on the line you use, I'm sure it would work for about anything. I may get a ML bfs rod rated up to 3/8th for it, which I think would be perfect for what I'd mostly use it for. I'm thinking finesse jigs, 1/8 and under t rigs, small rattle traps and jerkbaits, keitechs, small spinnerbaits, spybaits... It's a versatile reel and a great caster, into the wind or not. While it can perform well as a BFS reel, it's definitely not limited to that. Like I said, I think it would make an awesome dock skipping reel.
This is the way.

Edward78
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Edward78 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:47 am

poisonokie wrote:To tell the truth, I haven't had just a whole lot of time with it. It's great for casting smaller jerkbaits and pitching 1/16th shakey heads, I can tell you that much. Depending on the line you use, I'm sure it would work for about anything. I may get a ML bfs rod rated up to 3/8th for it, which I think would be perfect for what I'd mostly use it for. I'm thinking finesse jigs, 1/8 and under t rigs, small rattle traps and jerkbaits, keitechs, small spinnerbaits, spybaits... It's a versatile reel and a great caster, into the wind or not. While it can perform well as a BFS reel, it's definitely not limited to that. Like I said, I think it would make an awesome dock skipping reel.
I plan to put mine on my Major Craft Benkei Rod BIC-672LBF 1/16 - 1/4 fast action or my Daiwa TAT691MLRB 1/4 - 5/8 Regular action rod. I want to throw 1/4 oz jekbaits 3/16 and 1/4 oz jigs and weightless Wacky rigs, and thats why I'm running braid because I like to see the bite on slack line with jigs and wacky rigs. I hope to atleast get out and cast it a few times today along with my ASC at my local Lake for some trout.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:22 am

Edward78 wrote:
poisonokie wrote:To tell the truth, I haven't had just a whole lot of time with it. It's great for casting smaller jerkbaits and pitching 1/16th shakey heads, I can tell you that much. Depending on the line you use, I'm sure it would work for about anything. I may get a ML bfs rod rated up to 3/8th for it, which I think would be perfect for what I'd mostly use it for. I'm thinking finesse jigs, 1/8 and under t rigs, small rattle traps and jerkbaits, keitechs, small spinnerbaits, spybaits... It's a versatile reel and a great caster, into the wind or not. While it can perform well as a BFS reel, it's definitely not limited to that. Like I said, I think it would make an awesome dock skipping reel.
I plan to put mine on my Major Craft Benkei Rod BIC-672LBF 1/16 - 1/4 fast action or my Daiwa TAT691MLRB 1/4 - 5/8 Regular action rod. I want to throw 1/4 oz jekbaits 3/16 and 1/4 oz jigs and weightless Wacky rigs, and thats why I'm running braid because I like to see the bite on slack line with jigs and wacky rigs. I hope to atleast get out and cast it a few times today along with my ASC at my local Lake for some trout.
Oh, well on those rods with those baits you'll be golden with that SV Light.
This is the way.

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Just_Bass » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:24 pm

I just got myself a Benkei 672L (Fast action) myself to either pair with pixy with Ray’s spool or scorpion 70 with ray’s Spool. Today I went out to test it with crappies jig 1/16 oz with baby shad. It load up fine but casting distance is not so desirable. I also have Go Emotion 652L (MF) and this rod can bomb 1/8 oz with ease. I guess Benkei 672L should shine at 1/8 or more. I might have to give MC UL rod a try.
B0923ABC-61AB-47C6-8A45-548D08D4471B.jpeg
B0923ABC-61AB-47C6-8A45-548D08D4471B.jpeg (80.03 KiB) Viewed 8392 times
Aldebaran MG7 plus yumeya spool, load up with 10lb braid pair with MC go emotion 652L using 1/8oz roadrunner with baby shad.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:45 pm

Just_Bass wrote:I just got myself a Benkei 672L (Fast action) myself to either pair with pixy with Ray’s spool or scorpion 70 with ray’s Spool. Today I went out to test it with crappies jig 1/16 oz with baby shad. It load up fine but casting distance is not so desirable. I also have Go Emotion 652L (MF) and this rod can bomb 1/8 oz with ease. I guess Benkei 672L should shine at 1/8 or more. I might have to give MC UL rod a try.
I have had a Benkei and a Go Emotion and the GoE's softer action for sure made casing the lower end of the range easier. The Benkei was great for fishing small jigs and worms though, very good hooksets but being a light power rod, it would still bend and keep tension on the line. The most fun I had with the Benkie was dropshotting little 2" trout worms for panfish and little bass. I had the 652L and it had a great tip for pitching that little DS rig around.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:38 am

Of the Major Craft rods, is the L or UL more suited for jigheads (1/16-1/8) with plastic? I am sure each works better for different weights mentioned, just wondering if the L could handle both duties or if the UL is too soft. So far, the Proflex 2 I bought is nice, and works great for both, just want a one piece rod now. Would like the Aliexpress rod (Proflex) to go with my DIY spool reel and then order a Major Craft rod with a true BFS reel for my other Bait Finesse setup...

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Just_Bass » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:10 am

DirtyD64 wrote:Of the Major Craft rods, is the L or UL more suited for jigheads (1/16-1/8) with plastic? I am sure each works better for different weights mentioned, just wondering if the L could handle both duties or if the UL is too soft. So far, the Proflex 2 I bought is nice, and works great for both, just want a one piece rod now. Would like the Aliexpress rod (Proflex) to go with my DIY spool reel and then order a Major Craft rod with a true BFS reel for my other Bait Finesse setup...
Major Craft, Light can handle 1/16 oz head just find giving that you use 3” plastic (Ned rig). So I would say “the L”can handle total weight of 1/10 and up. I like using mine 652L for small jerkbait 1/8-3/16oz. I can cast 1/16oz jig head with tiny plastic 1.5”(baby shad) targeting panfish only 30-40’ with “L”. I don’t own MC UL but have UL trout rod that feel like noodle with no backbone.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:36 pm

My Ned's weigh in around 3/16 total and my old Benkei L handed them pretty well but I would not go much over. The same total weight on a DS was far better feeling. I felt like the sweet spot was between 1/8 and 3/16oz. I rechecked and I did have the 672L, not the shorter one. It was a fun little rod but I was on the hunt for something shorter.

Edward78
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Edward78 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:15 am

I have the Benkei L and UL and their Light rod is definitely on the firmer side of Light but I do like it, The UL is very nice and i use it for 1/8 and 3/16oz jerkbaits and 1/16oz Zman Chatterbait and 1/8oz jig heads with small plastics, but have noticed i tend to lean more towards a lighter power rod than most.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:23 am

Edward78 wrote:I have the Benkei L and UL and their Light rod is definitely on the firmer side of Light but I do like it, The UL is very nice and i use it for 1/8 and 3/16oz jerkbaits and 1/16oz Zman Chatterbait and 1/8oz jig heads with small plastics, but have noticed i tend to lean more towards a lighter power rod than most.
Interesting... I figure I would go for the Light, I could leave the extra light lures to the Proflex 2, the solid tip is so soft it does this easily. I honestly love the Decoy Nail Bomb style jig heads, and the #1 or #2 with a small swimbait is a perfect lure. I figure both the 3" and 3.5" Easy Shiners will cast fine with a Light rod and the extra back bone of a Light will help set the hook. So far a Major Craft Light with a BFS reel will be my next. Just wish the Alphas Air was still for sale on Digitaka.