Speaking of Pixies

Show off your latest and greatest catch, purchase, or acquisition with fellow TT Forum members.
Jnkoepp
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Speaking of Pixies

Post by Jnkoepp » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:41 am

Hypothetically...if a guy had a nib yellow pearl that will NEVER be used, would you recommend he throw a TDZ line guide on for the coolness factor or just go ahead and leave it bone stock?

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Speaking of Pixies

Post by Cal » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:45 am

do it all... line guide, levelwind bearing, drag... because someday you may find you want to do it and the parts will no longer be available ;)
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Jnkoepp
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jnkoepp » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:52 am

You don’t need to twist my arm. Next question...is there any benefit of the TDZ line guide vs the cheaper OG Zillion?

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:56 am

Jnkoepp wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:52 am
You don’t need to twist my arm. Next question...is there any benefit of the TDZ line guide vs the cheaper OG Zillion?
This I don't know... maybe just the color? Are they the same shape? :lol: If they're the same shape, I don't see how one would be better than the other unless the material is different.
Cal, Managing Editor

Jnkoepp
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jnkoepp » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:00 am

Was just a curious question as I’ve always seen people say to swap to the TDZ line guide but I’ve never heard of swapping to zillion

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:09 am

if you scroll this thread: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=84114

hoohoorjoo shows off his Silver Pixy with a Megabass IP79 line guide.. the IP79 was based off the Zillion ;)
Cal, Managing Editor

MountainMan 83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MountainMan 83 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:00 pm

The TDZ line guide is titanium nitride coated. I'd guess that the Zillion isnt based on price? Besides that, the color of the plastic (gray/black) is the only difference.

I love the look of the IP line guide, but find it hard to pay the price. Look for a TDX line guide; it has the same gray colored ring.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:30 pm

MountainMan 83 wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:00 pm
The TDZ line guide is titanium nitride coated. I'd guess that the Zillion isnt based on price? Besides that, the color of the plastic (gray/black) is the only difference.

I love the look of the IP line guide, but find it hard to pay the price. Look for a TDX line guide; it has the same gray colored ring.
Dave is correct- the zillion and TDZ line guides are identical, save for the color of the plastic body. The zillion guide looks great if your current line guide assembly is black-colored, like my silver mica pixy. I just wanted all silver on mine, so I sprung for the IP 79 line guide, vs the gold insert of the zillion guide.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Jnkoepp
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jnkoepp » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:52 pm

Thanks guys.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:12 pm

Go all out and source the parts you need while you can. Years from now they will likely more $ and harder to source.

Perhaps this one of mine can be of inspiration.

Yellow pearl Pixy
6:8 gears
Carbontex multi disk stack - a must
BFS bearings
Black Alphas Swept drag star
Black smooth I shaped knobs
Swept CF handle
Black cast control cap
Black handle nut retainer

Bumble bee themed!

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:40 pm

^^^That yellow Pixy looks familiar.... Come to think of it, that Corzza rod does, too, along with that Ize handle! ;)
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Jnkoepp
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jnkoepp » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:04 pm

Definitely looks pretty. I will absolutely never use this pixy because it’s in my NIB gems pile but wouldn’t be opposed to finding a fisher to actually try. I’ve never used the platform

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:05 pm

Jnkoepp wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:04 pm
..... but wouldn’t be opposed to finding a fisher to actually try. I’ve never used the platform
Oh boy, you're missing out on a lot of fun! You owe it to yourself to get one and trick it out.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:17 pm

I actually think the round level wind you see on the Alphas reels looks better. I wish I had done that instead of the weird slanted oval guide of the TD-Z. It still looks better than that god awful stock guide.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:24 pm

LowRange wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:17 pm
I actually think the round level wind you see on the Alphas reels looks better. I wish I had done that instead of the weird slanted oval guide of the TD-Z. It still looks better than that god awful stock guide.
Yes, the PX-R has the Alphas-style line guide, and it looks nice, too. I agree regarding the stock line guide, they aren't appealing at all.