jig rod build

Show off your latest and greatest catch, purchase, or acquisition with fellow TT Forum members.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

jig rod build

Post by goldrod » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:49 am

Thanks Mr. Davis
Thanks TT'ers

Point Blank rod
done by Otterrods
Attachments
IMG_3897.jpg
IMG_3897.jpg (126.08 KiB) Viewed 5274 times
3FA1CCD6-B595-428C-8FDB-D828C9BC16B9.jpg
3FA1CCD6-B595-428C-8FDB-D828C9BC16B9.jpg (102.07 KiB) Viewed 5274 times
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: jig rod build

Post by goldrod » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:08 am

PB73HXF
Tortzite guides spiral wrapped
Personally it goes well with the SV103xs
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:13 am

Excellent choice. If that rod doesn't catch em, you just don't know how to fish! :D

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:21 am

toddmc wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:13 am
Excellent choice. If that rod doesn't catch em, you just don't know how to fish! :D
😂
Thanks man.
I’m just in awe of it. I have a three rods (Kistler H3 7’3”heavy xg and ZBone 7’3” heavy xf and St. Croix LE heavy ) that I went off of in terms of this build.
The Jig rod. This rod is astetically pleasing but I have to wait to get it out.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:32 am

I am doing a jig build too.

NFC 7108 cut 4" off the butt
NFC soft touch 3.5" soft touch carbon split grip.
American Tackle CCT G2 Blade reel seat.

I am attempting to source AGS guides to round it out.

I have the reel seat and handle in a "just before epoxy" phase and it feels super nice so far
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:36 am

Looks incredible :shock:

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:02 pm

Fishing4Fun wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:36 am
Looks incredible :shock:
Thank You

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:40 am

a few more
Attachments
IMG_3930.jpeg
IMG_3930.jpeg (118.65 KiB) Viewed 5158 times

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:46 am

had to cut the grass but my mind is on something else..
Attachments
IMG_3924.jpeg
IMG_3924.jpeg (90.55 KiB) Viewed 5156 times
IMG_3927.jpeg
IMG_3927.jpeg (93.53 KiB) Viewed 5156 times
IMG_3929.jpeg
IMG_3929.jpeg (141.51 KiB) Viewed 5156 times

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:02 pm

Still need time with this rod but what I can say as far as my initial impression is this.
Its not as FAST as the Kistler H3 or the Steez Bottom contact but not as slow as the 72 heavy poison adreana
also the blank

Jeep
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Jeep » Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:02 am

goldrod wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:02 pm
Still need time with this rod but what I can say as far as my initial impression is this.
Its not as FAST as the Kistler H3 or the Steez Bottom contact but not as slow as the 72 heavy poison adreana
also the blank
Nice rod man. The way your explaining the taper that might be a nice rod shortened to a 6'8" and used as a jig skipping rod maybe? Hows the sensitivity compared to the Steez BC?

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:14 pm

Jeep wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:02 am
goldrod wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:02 pm
also the blank
Nice rod man. The way your explaining the taper that might be a nice rod shortened to a 6'8" and used as a jig skipping rod maybe? Hows the sensitivity compared to the Steez BC?
Thanks Man.
i have been trying to catch anything when i get a chance to get out but i haven't gotten bit.. Post cold front here in Fla so it is just a matter of time I guess. but I can't speak to sensitivity just yet. I would like some more time with the rod. I feel that this rod is different than any other graphite rod I've ever use.. its a bit weird so I am trying to put my finger on just what it is..
I need more time with it rod to be give you an honest report...Lord willing i'll have more time with it next week but I have used
all sorts of jigs on it, swim, pitching , casting and from 1/2-5/8 and it feels great! Casting accuracies are above my skill level and that was confirmed today. When going from jig to jig I was able to hit the target with pin point accuracy and time after time I was just able to hit the target from the onset of picking up the set up..
Attachments
IMG_3940.JPG
Best Fit
IMG_3940.JPG (133.6 KiB) Viewed 4789 times

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:03 pm

toddmc wrote:
Well man I guess I can’t fish.
I went out with this rod and I just could not get bit on a 1/2 dirty jig hp Flippin jig and a RI trailer. It just would not work. So after giving it some thought I cut off the jig and went to a pegged V&M swamp hog when I got my first bite. Before I get to that I have to say I must have been getting bites for a WHILE. The rod is light in weight but when you get bit it feel weird. Like on the cartoon when the sword would glow or shiver type weird. After calibrating my arm to the bite I could tell when the fish would ever so slightly pull the lure into the base of the pads. After that it was on! Big and small fish I was plucking them from the pads.

Biggest was about 3lbs.

Now here’s the skinny in the rod and please bare with me as I was trying to put my words together out on the water. The rod cast as accurate as any rod I have ever used. It kinda has a glass attribute but with a backbone. It’s not like my H3 Kistler at all. The action is between fast and ex fast in my opinion. I can see why it’s widely used as a jig rod or as I like to think a jab stick.
Something you hit them hard with and has enough give to keep them pinned.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:24 am

goldrod wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:03 pm
toddmc wrote:
I went out with this rod and I just could not get bit on a 1/2 dirty jig hp Flippin jig and a RI trailer. It just would not work. So after giving it some thought I cut off the jig and went to a pegged V&M swamp hog when I got my first bite. Before I get to that I have to say I must have been getting bites for a WHILE. The rod is light in weight but when you get bit it feel weird. Like on the cartoon when the sword would glow or shiver type weird. After calibrating my arm to the bite I could tell when the fish would ever so slightly pull the lure into the base of the pads. After that it was on! Big and small fish I was plucking them from the pads.

Biggest was about 3lbs.

Now here’s the skinny in the rod and please bare with me as I was trying to put my words together out on the water. The rod cast as accurate as any rod I have ever used. It kinda has a glass attribute but with a backbone. It’s not like my H3 Kistler at all. The action is between fast and ex fast in my opinion. I can see why it’s widely used as a jig rod or as I like to think a jab stick.
Point Blank rods do keep fish pinned because they flex so smoothly. You have to remember that they are built much differently than most rods because the don't have a scrim and the handle section has no taper. The straight handle section is designed to be an amplifier. The bite is less of a ding and more of a dong when you actually get a good bite on a Point Blank, but the tiny stuff isn't as easily felt. I talk a lot about this on the custom rod forum to let people know what they are getting into. Keep with it because you will get used to it.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:20 pm

toddmc wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:24 am
goldrod wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:03 pm
toddmc wrote:

Biggest was about 3lbs.

Point Blank rods do keep fish pinned because they flex so smoothly. You have to remember that they are built much differently than most rods because the don't have a scrim and the handle section has no taper. The straight handle section is designed to be an amplifier. The bite is less of a ding and more of a dong when you actually get a good bite on a Point Blank, but the tiny stuff isn't as easily felt. I talk a lot about this on the custom rod forum to let people know what they are getting into. Keep with it because you will get used to it.

Sometimes after reading my own post I wonder if i was sober writing..lol
Seriously although it may seem like I have a limited vocabulary, describing this rod has been a challenge and I wanted to ensure that I didnt compromise my integrity when trying to describe this rod. I didnt think about the scrim at all and that may very well be the difference. its certainly most unique and I can wait to get bit more often.. I didnt have an issue feeling the little fish bite
not that I am a great angler, well I am pretty much the Micheal Jordan of bass fishing but when he was playing baseball :lol: :lol:
Still i could feel the fish get the lure and pull it down into the the heart of the pads and I am not talking about a jerk type pull.. just a pressure change of sorts..

good stick loving the build