Favorite reels, gems that you'll never part with

Show off your latest and greatest catch, purchase, or acquisition with fellow TT Forum members.
PaBass75
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Favorite reels, gems that you'll never part with

Post by PaBass75 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:23 pm

Lately I've been digging thru my reel tote, so many good memories in there.. Found a few gems I'll never part with.

My first project reel, an ito103m.
Took what felt like forever to source parts but it turned out great and was my introduction to the dark side.

My first Alphas, and second project reel, Alphas ito.
This reel got me hooked on alphas.

Had to try Megabass too, thought that the Zonda 10 looked classy, especially with old school corks.
rsz_20210929_170027.jpg
rsz_20210929_170027.jpg (65.85 KiB) Viewed 5717 times
What are you favorites that hold a special place in your heart?

tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Favorite reels, gems that you'll never part with

Post by tincanary » Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:43 pm

My Cardinal 3, probably gonna get willed out to my son. I don't think I've ever owned a more durable spinning reel. I had one in the past that was stolen from me 20 years back, and that one was given to my by my uncle that bought it new in the 70s. My old one was pretty beat as my uncle used it for everything from bass and walleye to steelhead, which I in turn used for the same species for well over a decade. It was never gone through either to my knowledge, so it trucked along without a hitch for 30 years.

This one was purchased earlier this year, in very nice shape too. I use this one for stream trout on a Kuying Teton 6'6" L, but planning on grabbing an Abu Classic Trout in 5'2" L. Upgrades are an Avail CD0490R spool, IOS Factory bail springs, carbon drag, and an IOS Factory line roller, and a mod that enables manual bail return.

Too bad Abu never modernized the design and materials, this is a fantastic reel; stainless steel worm gear, bronze pinion, simple construction, and a really nice drag. Daysprout makes them for the Japanese market. Abu manufactures the parts which get sent to Japan for assembly by Daysprout. They typically put out about 1,000 reels per year, and the prices range from $350 to $450. Their newest one should be out in a couple of months.

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:52 pm

Wow--that reel is a beauty!

I have two Abu Garcia Cardinal 4s--one whose fulcrum drag tamed my PB largemouth and some strong carp, and one I bought for backup but never had to put to work. Those C4s were light for their size (10.9 oz. spooled with mono), but improvements in baitcast reels and weight reduction of some similar-sized spinning reels resulted in my relegating them to collectable status decades ago. I do wish every reel I'd bought since had been as well-designed and dependable!

PaBass75
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PaBass75 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:04 pm

tincanary wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:43 pm
My Cardinal 3, probably gonna get willed out to my son. I don't think I've ever owned a more durable spinning reel. I had one in the past that was stolen from me 20 years back, and that one was given to my by my uncle that bought it new in the 70s. My old one was pretty beat as my uncle used it for everything from bass and walleye to steelhead, which I in turn used for the same species for well over a decade. It was never gone through either to my knowledge, so it trucked along without a hitch for 30 years.

This one was purchased earlier this year, in very nice shape too. I use this one for stream trout on a Kuying Teton 6'6" L, but planning on grabbing an Abu Classic Trout in 5'2" L. Upgrades are an Avail CD0490R spool, IOS Factory bail springs, carbon drag, and an IOS Factory line roller, and a mod that enables manual bail return.

Too bad Abu never modernized the design and materials, this is a fantastic reel; stainless steel worm gear, bronze pinion, simple construction, and a really nice drag. Daysprout makes them for the Japanese market. Abu manufactures the parts which get sent to Japan for assembly by Daysprout. They typically put out about 1,000 reels per year, and the prices range from $350 to $450. Their newest one should be out in a couple of months.
That's a true gem. =P~
Haven't seen one of those in years, didn't know they were still available. She's a beauty

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:51 pm

Beautiful reels PABass!

I am not sure, so many to pick from all unique, modded, with my own funky fresh take on it. Probably my first JDM reel the TDZ 100m, which I bought from PoBigRed, who bought it from Hoohoorjoo who bought it from someone else before that. It is still mint and slick as snot

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:31 pm

Fishing4Fun wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:51 pm
Beautiful reels PABass!

I am not sure, so many to pick from all unique, modded, with my own funky fresh take on it. Probably my first JDM reel the TDZ 100m, which I bought from PoBigRed, who bought it from Hoohoorjoo who bought it from someone else before that. It is still mint and slick as snot

Now I’d buy that.
Man she’s gorgeous
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tincanary » Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:01 am

PaBass75 wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:04 pm
That's a true gem. =P~
Haven't seen one of those in years, didn't know they were still available. She's a beauty
Not many people know they are. When I get Cardinals in the shop from customers and tell them about it, they get all excited. The newer ones also have a balanced rotor and two additional bearings. It's pretty cool that somebody is keeping the legend alive.

https://daysprout.rings-fishing.jp/page2/ds-cardinal/

tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tincanary » Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:23 am

Here's another I plan on keeping a very long time. This was a ground-up build; Royal 4500 side plates, 5500C chrome handle and straight cut star wheel, 5500 C3 spool and line guide, shimmed pinion yoke, 5500 CS Pro Rocket frame, stainless steel 5.3 gears, carbon drag, fiber brake blocks, bearing supported driveshaft, polished friction points, double anti-reverse (pawl and roller bearing), and some really nice stainless spool bearings I sourced from a local manufacturer. Aside from the Yamaha marine grease on the gears and Cal's purple on the drag stack, everything else is oiled with my own concoction I affectionately refer to as 'pimp juice'. I've applied the juice to the worm shaft, idler gear post, axle, worm bushing, inside of the line guide, and the line guide pawl itself. It's a killer reel for pier fishing salmon and steelhead around the Great Lakes, plus it does great float fishing the rivers for them as well. It spins damn near like a center pin when floating bait down the river.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:48 am

goldrod wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:31 pm
Fishing4Fun wrote:
Beautiful reels PABass!

Now I’d buy that.
Man she’s gorgeous
Thanks Jorrick!

PaBass75
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PaBass75 » Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:13 pm

Fishing4Fun wrote:
Beautiful reels PABass!

Wow. =D>
That's definitely the finest looking tdz I've ever seen. Great job on the mods.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:18 pm

Looks like John and I share similar tastes.🤜🤛

Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:41 am

PaBass75 wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:13 pm
Fishing4Fun wrote:
Beautiful reels PABass!

Wow. =D>
That's definitely the finest looking tdz I've ever seen. Great job on the mods.
Thanks PABass!

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:42 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:18 pm
Looks like John and I share similar tastes.🤜🤛

Right on Tim! Good minds think a like! Everything now and then I can go greyscale \:D/

DrPerf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DrPerf » Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:19 pm

After looking at my reels, I thought that I would post these four. The Steez 100HLA, purchased new in 2007, was my first baitcaster. Never used one before then. Now I have a “few” 😊. The reel has been fully maintained and “super tuned” by myself. It is as smooth as and has the casting performance as any of my new JDM reels, which are darn good themselves. Paired with a 7’2” Steez Fle-X-Lite, it is one of my main cranking/topwater combinations.

Used that combination this past Tuesday to fish a MB Dog-X Diamante (GG Deadly Black Shad) and it put this fish “in the boat” on the second cast.

The I’ZE Light was my second baitcaster, purchased in 2007 from the “Dark Lord”. Had a custom rod made for that reel: GLX 843 blank, spiral wrapped with Gold Cermet Fuji guides.

The red, dressed up TD-Z (‘fire’) was my first TD-Z, purchased in 2010. And ‘ice’, the blue dressed up TD-Z is a more recent purchase.

Regards,
Doc
Attachments
OG Steez 100HLA.jpg
OG Steez 100HLA.jpg (61.46 KiB) Viewed 5367 times
WEB topwater.jpg
WEB topwater.jpg (82.71 KiB) Viewed 5367 times
custom-rod_ltd-reel.jpg
custom-rod_ltd-reel.jpg (35.21 KiB) Viewed 5367 times
TD-Zs.jpg
TD-Zs.jpg (55.91 KiB) Viewed 5367 times

Fishing4Fun