Stubborn screw

Show off your latest and greatest catch, purchase, or acquisition with fellow TT Forum members.
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Stubborn screw

Post by LowRange » Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:28 pm

I've had this Tatula handle on this Pixy Type R since I got it. While I like those knobs on Tatulas I dont like them on older reels. I was just going to change the knobs but ended up with some chineseium Aliexpress $50 reel to try out various cheap reels for kayak use and it had a cool handle on it. It was like the Zaion knobs in shape but soft touch and with good grip. I went to just change out this handle on but discovered that the nut retainer screw was seized and just cam'd out every screwdriver I had. So out came the dremel and I destroyed the retainer and screw. Mangled the nut and handle pretty good too. Got it off though.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Stubborn screw

Post by Slazmo » Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:13 am

Should've put some oil on and around it and applied heat via a soldering iron around the screw, which would've warmed the oil to seep into the threads and expanded the aluminium just enough.

That's what I do to Daiwa 'suicide screws', that have locktite red applied to them ex factory.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:14 am

Slazmo wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:13 am
Should've put some oil on and around it and applied heat via a soldering iron around the screw, which would've warmed the oil to seep into the threads and expanded the aluminium just enough.

That's what I do to Daiwa 'suicide screws', that have locktite red applied to them ex factory.
Yep that would have been the thing to do before I destroyed the head with a screwdriver. I was going to cut a bigger groove in the screw head for the next size up flat head driver but didnt have the right cutting wheel so out came the grinding die and I knew that handle and probably the nut was done for.

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by i_am_R2 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:35 pm

Slazmo wrote:

Thanks for the tip. Need to keep this in mind since I fubared one this past weekend.

MisterQ
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MisterQ » Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:53 am

Slazmo wrote:

Daiwa suicide screws just need a JIS screwdriver #1
It's a best buy if you service Daiwa reels
A TD-Z is forever

amso4
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by amso4 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:07 am

Thanks for the head up about JIS screwdrivers. Now I understand why the screws are so shallow and need this special driver. I just ordered a JIS #1, Thank you.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:10 am

I have been tuning reels for almost four decades. This Wiha driver set is a great one. It has been recommended on TT on a lot of forums over the years. A good driver makes the Daiwa "death screw", or any screw a piece of cake.

https://www.amazon.com/Wiha-26199-Slott ... 5149aa9081

tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tincanary » Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:45 am

toddmc wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:10 am
I have been tuning reels for almost four decades. This Wiha driver set is a great one. It has been recommended on TT on a lot of forums over the years. A good driver makes the Daiwa "death screw", or any screw a piece of cake.

https://www.amazon.com/Wiha-26199-Slott ... 5149aa9081
Wiha makes a nice set, never an issue removing the suicide screw. The 4.0 standard in that kit fits Daiwa side plate screws perfectly as well, and the whole kit can be bought for a similar price as the SLP 4.0 standard driver. Quality precision drivers really don't cost a whole lot. Good precision pliers are also a godsend, I plan on being buried with my Knipex pliers.

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:49 am

tincanary wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:45 am
I plan on being buried with my Knipex pliers.
Here lies tincanary--
Leapt with the stork,
Slept with the torque.

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by i_am_R2 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:09 pm

MisterQ wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:53 am
Slazmo wrote:

Daiwa suicide screws just need a JIS screwdriver #1
It's a best buy if you service Daiwa reels
Thanks for the tip! I ordered one and used it for the first time yesterday. Worked like a charm :D

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:06 am

Bronzeye wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:49 am
tincanary wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:45 am
I plan on being buried with my Knipex pliers.
Here lies tincanary--
Leapt with the stork,
Slept with the torque.
LMAO...good'un!
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."