Post your junk

Show off your latest and greatest catch, purchase, or acquisition with fellow TT Forum members.
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post your junk

Post by LowRange » Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:21 pm

Post lower end or poor condition fishing junk. Not that other junk. :talk hand: sub $100 rods and reels. Old rashed up reels you still use. Old rods you can't or won't get rid of.

Here are my beater sticks and reels. The stuff that comes out when the nice stiff gets put away. This is what I have for kayak and bank use. I used to fish with the nice stuff out of the kayak but after a few scuffs in some paint and 2 close calls with a sinking kayak I got some cheap stuff. I'll bring one high end with me and if I suddenly am going over and have seconds to reach for one thing and leave all the others to a watery grave, these are the ones to write off as gone.

The power stuff:

Fuego CT with 3 spools. Ray's LC for finesse, Elite spool as an all arounder and the stock spool for frogs and punching. It has toured the Lews Hank Parker MH for frogs and bottom contact, Berkley LR and Laguna for trebble baits and light plastics and is now on an old 7'11" XH Veritas Whinch for use punching, frogging and biggish moving baits that I got new for "at cost" of $30 from the Pure Fishing factory outlet store. Probably going to HLC spring swap the stock Fuego CT spool too.

The T3 MX. Got this one for like $53 from Japan with a bunch of purple parts on it. Took the purple parts off and it's on the Lews HP Jig and Worm for jigs and frogs. Just need to find a cheap CC knob. I like that it can make use of my 34mm spools.

Liuyun thing: going to bomb 1/2 oz traps with braid on and old glass stick. Stole the cool handle off it and put a Black Max handle on it.

The BPS JM wide spool: this one lives on my 7' H Extreme that has a very soft tip and mod fast taper with a backbone that gives under load. Had this rod forever and can't kill it. Been using it for moving baits like spinnerbaits for years. Got a higher end BPS Doyo for it. It's got the anodized aluminum handle and non handle side plates and even an aluminum nose plate. These higher end Doyos are like squished down round reels. These are the like the Gen 2 Revos Elites but maybe not quite as nice. This is the wide spool variant because why not? Got it on blowout and durring a spring classic reel trade in discount for $74.

The finesse:

BM3 on a BM UL rod: got a BFS spool in this one. I use it for tiny baits targetting bluegill, green sunfish and dink bass. Sometimes they are the only ones willing to smash baits when the bite is slow and its nice to get something on the line that folds your rod in half.

Tatula SV: this one has a BFS spool in to and sits on a cheap 6'5" L BFS type stick. It's for Ned rigs and small moving baits.

Casitas MGL: this one is on a Obei Steet Bass 198ML. It's a 6'6" soft tipped fast to XF rod with a really powerful back backbone. It gets use with weightless plastics and bottom contact.

The spools:

Ray's Tatula CT LC
Tatula Elite LC
17 Tatula SV

The lone rods:

Laguna M regular taper
Berkley LR M super soft tip fast taper
Obei Elf M 5'6" fast taper dock skipper
Kuying Rainforest XH 5'9" moderate taper dock skipper

The homesless reels:

KK Spartacus with shallow spool: it's a lefty. Just a spare reel at this point. Can't imagine a scenario where I would want to reel left handed other than maybe dock skipping but it can't skip. Tried it on the Laguna with jerkbaits but kept sending up with the handle near my near my stomach after every jerk. Seemed weird. Maybe it can be pitching reel for the Lews HP Jig and Worm.

Haibo Smart 50: it's been a good reel but the braking is becoming sporadic and the drag has failed. Needs work. Been replaced by the BFS spool in the Tatula SV.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Post your junk

Post by Cristo » Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:49 pm

Dang yet another post I have no contribution to =P~

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:54 am

Cristo wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:49 pm
Dang yet another post I have no contribution to =P~
I cant believe you take those killer combos out on the yak. After almost sinking twice and getting blown off and watching my kayak take off like a rocket to the opposite shore when a storm blew in I have decided to take no more than one nice rod with me and all others are sacrificial offerings. The 1st time I sank I started chucking rods at the bank like javelins but managed to beach the yak after I sent one rod flying. When it became a ghost ship I did some James Bond tuck and roll tossing the rod I was holding between my legs and onto the deck when I slammed into a lay down sideways and got booted off.

Finally going to retire this thing after 6 years. Gonna be a loaner and maybe sled over the winters. Kayak sledding sounds like fun.
Attachments
Screenshot_20210829-220702_Facebook_copy_539x505.jpg
Screenshot_20210829-220702_Facebook_copy_539x505.jpg (85.37 KiB) Viewed 2195 times
Last edited by LowRange on Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:15 am

Been hunting a reel like that T3 to hold my BFS spool! Want to free up my Zillion SV TW for heavier purposes. Tempted to buy another Aliexpress spool and a cheap BlackMAX or comparative cheap BFS build. The rod I have, the Tsurinoya Proflex 2, has gone up to almost $100 now, was under $60 when I got one...

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:12 am

I know I'm a gambler I guess but luckily I haven't gambled when I knew I wouldn't win so it was a costly mistake but thankfully it hasn't happened again and unfortunately our Lakes are fairly deep so I'm not paying scuba divers to go look for her either :doh:

Super sick Yak I love the old-school nose art you have on yours reminds me of the old Flying Tiger P-40 Warhawk 8-)

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:23 am

LowRange wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:21 pm
sub $100 rods and reels.
Wait, those exist? ... :lol:

=D> =D>
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:48 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:15 am
Been hunting a reel like that T3 to hold my BFS spool! Want to free up my Zillion SV TW for heavier purposes. Tempted to buy another Aliexpress spool and a cheap BlackMAX or comparative cheap BFS build. The rod I have, the Tsurinoya Proflex 2, has gone up to almost $100 now, was under $60 when I got one...
Keep an eye on bass.co.jp. They seem to have really cheap prices on used Daiwa reels. Got the T3 MX with purple cc knob, knob caps, slp shorty drag star and level wind cap for $53 plus shipping and a mint SS SV105 with box for $146 plus shipping. Shipping was some low cost less than $20 method. Got a revo3 MGX with daiwa handle for $75 there too. I also got my Super Trickster and Fanatisita Deez rods there in the same tube for $100 shipping. Rod cost was $250 a piece.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:56 am

Cristo wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:12 am
reminds me of the old Flying Tiger P-40 Warhawk 8-)
That's what I was going for. I wanted to do an olive drab base but all I could find was the desert tan so I went with that and a gulf war US camo theme. Looks like hell now with a billion scratches showing the blue. Still has a plywood floor and a spray foam plug in the skeg hole where it had worn through the thin plastic at the skeg. Spray foam is some magic stuff.
Attachments
Screenshot_20210726-090646_Photos_copy_1140x540.jpg
Screenshot_20210726-090646_Photos_copy_1140x540.jpg (68.93 KiB) Viewed 2181 times
Screenshot_20210930-164755_Chrome_copy_533x383.jpg
Screenshot_20210930-164755_Chrome_copy_533x383.jpg (55.92 KiB) Viewed 2183 times