Did you know

Show off your latest and greatest catch, purchase, or acquisition with fellow TT Forum members.
SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Did you know

Post by SSS » Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:13 pm

LowRange wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:01 pm
SSS wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:56 pm
I don't have a heat gun. Will a hairdryer do? I am tempted to try this on the older gray ones and the black ones.
Worth a shot.

Quality of the cork seems to very considerably. I did two TD-X handles with the riveted on knobs. They were pretty rough underneath but one knob looked good. My Pixy knobs seemed like a higher grade of cork but without more samples to verify I can't say for certain. Could just be a luck of the draw type thing.
Nothing to lose, the old gray ones look so ugly anyways.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:06 pm

I did one black knob from an alphas type F. Its the compressed cork which chips in pieces, so i wouldn't suggest doing this on black knobs. So i imagine only the grey knobs are worth experimenting on or have some of you did this on black knobs as well?

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:42 am

And Daiwa charged us more for cork all these years. Sweet hack though.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Jayce
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jayce » Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:38 pm

Question whats the best way to seal and protect the cork? Im planning to use u40 and clear epoxy on them?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:16 am

Jayce wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:38 pm
Question whats the best way to seal and protect the cork? Im planning to use u40 and clear epoxy on them?
Spar urethane from the local hardware store will give it an actual coating and will waterproof it.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Jayce
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jayce » Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:42 am

Thanx for the reply. Will any spar urethane brand be OK or there is a particular brand or type I must use. the cork under my tdz handles are not that good

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:54 pm

Jayce wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:42 am
Thanx for the reply. Will any spar urethane brand be OK or there is a particular brand or type I must use. the cork under my tdz handles are not that good
I've used Varathane in the spray can with good success. I last used the clear satin variant and liked it best of the 3 kinds I've tried. Try thin coats instead of trying to slather it on thick all at once. When you first start touching the knobs after application, they will seem a little slick, but will lose that slick feeling after a little use. I've done this to rod handles in the past, because I hate the way natural cork feels.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.