Forgive my sins

Show off your latest and greatest catch, purchase, or acquisition with fellow TT Forum members.
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Forgive my sins

Post by LowRange » Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:34 pm

After years of talking smack about the the Tatula I own 5. Do I apologize to the Tatula or for owing 5? :-k Despite the big wide frame, the awful mag dial that sticks out, the clunky, buzzy and unrefined nature of the reels I own 5. One was bought for parts and meant to be sold and the other 4 are in rotation. Unfortunately the only one I sold is the smoothest and nicest feeling of the bunch. It motivates me to make all of them that smooth. Even if they are not nice they are workhorses.

The Elite spool when in the Fuego CT is an all around champ. The Tatula SV is a skipping or BFS machine depending on the spool. The Type R with Ray's Long Cast is my most used reel and has held up very well despite spending a lot of hours in a kayak and rod locker. The HD Custom is my 72H Huyga soul mate and a perfect pairing with the 153 spool and soon to be mine 200 purple spool.

This platform comes on wide 34mm, wide 36 mm and narrow 34mm with the Tatula SVs being the exceptions. Even across the narrow and wide variants they share almost all parts with the frame, spools, nameplate, thumb bar and oddly, the spool tension knobs being the stand out differences. I have done some color part swapping and ended up with what you see.

HD gold parts > Tatula HD 153
Silver parts > Tatula SV
Red parts > Tatula Type R and Fuego CT
Black and purple parts > Tatula HD 200

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Forgive my sins

Post by godshippy » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:23 am

I hear you on this though! I had the T3 with the popup hood and it was gimmicky to me; so I didn't even bat an eye when the Tatula came out...but I ended up buying a NIB Tatula CT off the auction site for like $80 and now I have a total of 3.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:33 pm

I will never buy a single one

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:08 pm

SSS wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:33 pm
That's some resolve. Stay away from the Zillion TWS, Zillion SV TW, Zillion TW HLC, Zillion TW HD and 17 Morethan PE SV. They're fancy Tatulas.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:26 pm

LowRange wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:08 pm
SSS wrote:
That's some resolve. Stay away from the Zillion TWS, Zillion SV TW, Zillion TW HLC, Zillion TW HD and 17 Morethan PE SV. They're fancy Tatulas.
Yup. Never even considered getting one of these. Its a good thing the zillion now has a "proper" frame.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:28 pm

SSS wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:26 pm
LowRange wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:08 pm
SSS wrote:
Yup. Never even considered getting one of these. Its a good thing the zillion now has a "proper" frame.
Darn right.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:15 am

Tatulas on their respective rods.
Last edited by LowRange on Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:22 am

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KP Duty » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:04 am

I can dig it. I picked up a couple of OG Tat sv's from TTT when they changed the body style. The OG's are sharp looking reels and with bearing upgrades and a zpi spool (still available) they perform very well. If you collect daiwas, I think you should have one in your arsenal. I love to watch 'Jay Leno's Garage' on TV, and I don't think the show would be near as interesting if he only had high-end supercars.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:28 pm

I've had a few myself (all the newer frame 100 size) and they perform well for the $$$. I'd have no issues owning another.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:22 pm

I currently own 2 of the newer frame reels(TTU 100HS and TTU 100H models) and I'm very satisfied with them. They arent Steez-smooth, but they palm very similarly to the current-gen Steez SV TW. FWIW, I've sold off all my other T-wing reels except for my Alphas SV TW, but kept these 2 Tatulas. The HS model is a dedicated frog reel and it has survived 2 long seasons without a failure of any kind.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:51 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:22 pm
I currently own 2 of the newer frame reels(TTU 100HS and TTU 100H models) and I'm very satisfied with them. They arent Steez-smooth, but they palm very similarly to the current-gen Steez SV TW. FWIW, I've sold off all my other T-wing reels except for my Alphas SV TW, but kept these 2 Tatulas. The HS model is a dedicated frog reel and it has survived 2 long seasons without a failure of any kind.
You got rid of the Steez TW and Steez CT? Why didn't you like about them? Also seriously consider getting the Tatula Elite spool from TTT for your Tatulas.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:38 pm

LowRange wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:51 am
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:22 pm
You got rid of the Steez TW and Steez CT? Why didn't you like about them? Also seriously consider getting the Tatula Elite spool from TTT for your Tatulas.
I already have an elite spool in one of the Tatulas. I loved the Steez CT and the Steez SV TW, but I needed cash more than I needed the reels at the moment. I will eventually replace the Steez CT. It was the smoothest reel I've ever had in my hands, period. I kept thinking the drag wasn't tightened when I was reeling, forgetting that the drag clicks if that happens.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jason Penn » Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:30 pm

i'm up to #6 since purchasing the newer model at the end of november. i've been perfectly happy with all of them. i really like the color of the older model, but the new 1 feels really good to me. also the ipt is different on the newer models, and the 7:1 fell right in a gap i was trying to fill.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:55 am

I defend the Tatulas pretty strongly, even though I have only ever owned 2. I sold the Tatula HD200 hs to fund another higher end reel, and kept my old Tatula Type R (original big one). It has been a great reel other than the T-wing got scratched; Daiwa replaced it with a Zillion TWS version and it has stayed strong. I really like the reel, very smooth and still casts pretty far, even for smaller lures. Right now I have 50lb braid on the reel and use it with a 7'6"H for mid sized paddletails and heavier duty applications. I never liked the ugly chrome plastic handle nut cover and considered buying a DIY spool of some sort to improve casting further.