Your Fishing Stories

Show off your latest and greatest catch, purchase, or acquisition with fellow TT Forum members.
Thunderblack1984
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Your Fishing Stories

Post by Thunderblack1984 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:02 pm

"As I stood at the side of the river fishing, surrounded by beautiful woods and mountains, I couldn’t help but thank God for his presence in my life."

So cool! I have seen so many things fishing that have made me reflect on Jesus as well. Thank you for sharing!!
Philippians 4:6

Oktayne the Red
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Oktayne the Red » Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:39 am

Let's go back to like 1981-82ish. I was like 11, we lived out on 441, or state road 7 in Boca Raton, FL, which was largely undeveloped at the time. Right on the canal than runs along 441. It's where I started sneaking my rods out and fishing by myself, learning the ropes. Learning to cast a baitcaster. A truly wonderous time. OK, mostly, it was big bluegill on breadballs, with the occasional garfish cruising down the canal. Still, formative years and cool memories. The canal was a LOT cleaner back then.

So I had a neighborhood buddy who was teaching me to cast a baitcaster. It was a black narrow spool ambassadeur with a big thumbbar (4600C?) on a pistolgrip rod. I was tossing a 1/2 oz yellow saltwater bucktail jig. Easy to cast and learn with. So I'm doing pretty good, casting from the bridge, parallel to the canal. Well, one of my casts goes really wide left and lands on the bank of the canal. I reel up tight, give a quick jerk, and the bucktail comes flying back at me. Not quite making it to me, it hits the water directly under where I'm standing on the bridge, maybe a few feet under the bridge, and sinks. Well, by the time I get all the slack reeled up and line comes tight, it was stuck under the bridge. I thought I had snagged bottom.

That was the moment the rod lurched down and slams the concrete rail of the bridge. I lift, next thing I know, I'm holding a 7 lb bass. My buddy (Joe, I think), is laughing, grabs the rod and starts jigging up and down right off the bridge to no avail. At that point we got on our bikes and rode home, where I held the fish up in the window for my dad. He comes flying out the door "Where did THAT come from??" Pictures (lost to time sadly), then we cooked it. Then I got grounded for fishing without telling them I was going.

I used to like to think it was bigger, like 11 or 12 lbs, but Dad would always correct me and tell me it was more like 7. Hey, I was a kid, they were all world record fish...

(never thought that story would be such a wall of text)

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:28 pm

I like childhood stories. I bet many people have similar stories. I saw two good bass, about 5 or 6lbs right by a bank. I casted close to them. I got a backlash. When I finished fixing it, I felt the line moving. Sure enough, one of the big fish was on.

Another funny story is this. I and my buddy heard AC Plug caught many big fish. It was in the late 1990s. We just casted AC Plugs to the back of the boat, and just left the rods there. We kept the trolling motor going, and we kept fishing. We forgot that we were kind of trolling the AC Plugs, more like a super slow waikbaits. Then, suddenly, we heard big splash behind us. It took a second or two to figure out what just happened. A bass hit one of our AC Plugs. We caught a few bass that way. It sounds kind of stupid, but every time, we forgot about the AC Plugs, and every time, we were like "what was that?" Then, realized a bass hit the AC Plug. Quite amazingly, we caught every one of the fish. And, the funniest thing is that we never caught bass by casting those AC Plugs. It worked well, only when we're trolling. :)

BTW, you must be around my age. I started fishing in the late 70's, and I was about 8yrs old.

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:08 pm

Well, last night, I was thinking about those fishing/camping trips I used to make with my buddies in the late 90s. Then, suddenly, I remembered this story. It may not be very funny, but here it goes.

We usually camped for 2 or 3 nights. This one time, we went for one night trip. At the end of the day, we were tired and lazy, and we didn't want to set up a tent. We decided to tie the boat to a tree by a bank, and sleep in the boat. When we woke up in the morning, we found lots of foot prints. We knew there were tons of racoons around. So, we knew at least a few racoons got on the boat, while we're sleeping. We didn't even notice. We thought it was kind of funny, but now I think about it, and think it's kind of scary in a way. They must have walked by us, and we didn't even know.