What’s the craziest topwater blowup you’ve had?

Show off your latest and greatest catch, purchase, or acquisition with fellow TT Forum members.
Bbrotz
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

What’s the craziest topwater blowup you’ve had?

Post by Bbrotz » Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:22 pm

So I had the craziest blowup I’ve ever had on topwater the other day. I was fishing the lobina Rio Rico in my favorite color fry. I had already caught about 10 in the 2-3 pound range. I made a cast out to the top of a brush pile and let the rings dissipate. I gave in a couple twitches and let it sit. Next thing you know I see a wake from about 20 feet away going straight towards my lure and this fish flys out of the water about 6 feet away from my lure going full clip and dives straight onto my lure and eats it as she’s going back in. In the moment I was thinking there is no way this fish was that accurate to actually have gotten it in her mouth. But I set the hook and sure enough I reeled in this 6.5 pounder. From now on I’m going to religiously bring a GoPro and film all my topwater outings.

So just for fun, what’s the craziest topwater blowup you’ve ever had?

*Sorry for the bad photo, I had to lean my phone against the dock post and I was so focused on the timer that I didn’t smile :lol:
Attachments
7A6FB763-E5AD-49C6-B965-7A3188D11CBA.jpeg
7A6FB763-E5AD-49C6-B965-7A3188D11CBA.jpeg (80.42 KiB) Viewed 4784 times

dhottle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: What’s the craziest topwater blowup you’ve had?

Post by dhottle » Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:52 pm

My PB topwater fish slurped a Yellow Magic popper in bone after a couple of twitches & pops. I'm watching the bait then see it disappear in a quite toilet flush. She swallowed it.
Attachments
IMG_E2626topwater pb resize.JPG
IMG_E2626topwater pb resize.JPG (64.41 KiB) Viewed 4777 times

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:34 am

I had a 3# and a 6# fish blow up on a super spook. Both managed to get a treble hook in the lip, and I managed to get them both to the boat. That was the most heart-stopping topwater hit I've ever seen. At first, I thought it was just one HUGE fish, because they both popped it at exactly the same time. It's almost like they were tag-teaming it in purpose.this was around 35 years ago, when I was a teenager. My dad laughed at me when we realized it wasn't a 15# fish.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

hmnginmn
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hmnginmn » Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:16 pm

It was like 10 years ago, but I'd stop by a local lake every day after dropping of my sister to work. I would catch a small fish here or there in a couple of hours but I noticed one day the DNR started stocking walleyes. On a calm flat fall day I threw a bone white super spook and started working it back and immediately noticed something waking and chasing the lure. I picked up the pace and BAM! 40+ inch tiger musky took it. I was able to land it from the fishing pier. Got it pic with in, sat down and waited till the adrenaline calmed. I figured I throw one more cast and BAM! Another! Not as big but I was still in awe. Two fish of 10,000 cast back to back.
Long live the Jerkbait

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:09 pm

I've had fish eat my lure in mid air three times. Once off of a tule, and also once off of a bush. The best strike was when I watched a fish in ultra clear water at night shark the surface following a black jig that had been casted to the back of a pocket underneath a floodlight. The fish caught the jig about a foot above the water after tracking it for about 15 feet. Largemouth in this pond eat both dragonflies and bats that you often see them tracking. It was only about a 13 inch fish, but it was a badass!!! :D

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:13 pm

Mine was on a miscast over shallows into low hanging tree limbs, just missed my target, off enough to catch braid on adjacent limb. Short story, recognized it, taught line to avoid wrapping, gave it a slow hop to ready a drag/whip back through when one came straight and nailed it midair limbs snapping everywhere from impact it was really cool. Landed it. Not the biggest, but explosive vertical. Only the second time in my life I’d ever seen a bucket sky like that. They can jump.
PEACE

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:53 pm

I posted this before, but here it goes.

"It was about the best morning I've ever had. It was my 2nd trip to El Salto. It was the last morning, so I had to stop fishing around 9:30AM to catch the flight. I became a friend with two guys from Texas. They're leaving, and they were not goin\g to fish in the next morning, so they told me about their secret spot. In the next morning, I explained what they told me to my guide. He said "I think I know the spot". So, we went. We could easily tell that's the spot, because big fish were chasing shads at the bank. I threw a Rio Rico, and caught an 8 pounder. In my 2nd cast, I caught a 9 pounder. So, I told my guide to tie another Rio Rico on the 2nd rod, so I don't have to waste time. So, the next 45mi or so, I used two rods with the same Rio Rico to catch plenty of big fish. It was like, my guide "hey, you want to take a picture, it's a 10 pounder". I said "no, I'm catching another 10 pounder right now!." It's basically, as soon as I landed a big fish, I gave the rod to my guide. He unhooked the fish, weighed it, and released it. In the mean time, I grabbed the 2nd rod with Rio Rico, and I caught another big fish.

I caught 21 fish, averaging about 8lbs. The smallest was 7lbs, and 2 of them were 10 pounders. That was crazy. I will never forget the morning. Then, we moved to a few other spots. I ended up catching 51 bass by 9:30AM. It was Dec 30th or 31st. When I went back to the lodge, I asked them if I could stay a few more days. They said no, they had to close for the new year. Too bad."

A few more (again, posted in the past),

1. I casted a Rio Rico, and a bass hit the lure, before the lure hit the water, about 10" above the water. I have no idea how and why the fish knew it was coming. Maybe, they actually see things way more than we think they do.

2. I was working on a Rio Rico (yeah, again). A bass jumped right by the lure. Her entire body was out of the water, and on the way down, she ate the lure. That was really cool. The bass knew how to entertain people.

3. I was walking a Zara Spook, and suddenly, it went up about 1.5ft above the water like a missile or a rocket. I thought the bass was pissed off. Then, as soon as the Spook came down, it went up again and again and again. By the 3rd time, I saw a big bass hitting the Spook with the tail. I was like "wow, that was cool. I've seen they did it once or twice, but not every time the lure came down. And, usually, the lure don't go that high." So, I casted again, and the same thing happened. I casted one more time, and it was the same. So, I guess they really see something above the water. The bass hit the Spook right when it hit the water or even right before it hit the water.

sbd3
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by sbd3 » Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:00 pm

My craziest topwater bite came on a calm, overcast early summer morning last year. I had just hit the water in my canoe around 10am or so and was jazzed to break in my new major craft rod purchased with larger walking baits in mind. I clipped on an also new to me megabass dog-x diamante and within the first few casts just about soiled my pants when a large fish erupted viciously on the lure in what can only be described as an actual explosion, although I was a slightly let down when I finally put eyes on it and seen the tell tale grin of a 8 pound bowfin rather than my new pb bass, it was a hell of fight as well as a complete clusterfrick that resulted in a shredded leader and mutliple bent hooks, several of which had to be cut due to being hooked to my tackle bag after it expressed it's unhappiness by going completely ape shiitake in my canoe, good times!