New Reel Daiwa 1500 Luvias

Show off your latest and greatest catch, purchase, or acquisition with fellow TT Forum members.
John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

New Reel Daiwa 1500 Luvias

Post by John G » Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:29 am

I just picked up what I think is a little gem. I bought this in the used reel section at troutshop and it's actually new in box. Not knowing a whole lot about spinning reels and less about Daiwa spinning reels, I went to the discontinued reel archive section at Japan Tackle. This was advertised as being a 2004 model year reel. Jun at Japan Tackle described it as being the best value spinning reel available at the time. High-end features at a lower price basically.

Imagescreen shot in windows

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: New Reel Daiwa 1500 Luvias

Post by dragon1 » Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:50 pm

That is a great reel, pre Real Four and I believe it still has Daiwa worm gearing so the line lay is excellent. Inner bail design, manual mechanism bail trip, folding handle, the OG tubular bail design and ABS spool as well.

I have a Tournament ZC 1500 from the same era, and it is just a superb and tank of a reel that I love for UL/L fishing. I've had mine since circa 2003-2004 as well, bought used from Jun at Japan Tackle.

Enjoy!
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:15 pm

Im thinking that was a magnesium frame reel, but its been a long time since I sold the 1500 I had. Regardless of composition, it's still an excellent reel!
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:36 am

Thanks for the replies. Is the Daiwa Air Metal frame a Magnesium frame?

Fishing UL with it is my plan. I have a basically new old model cork handle 6' UL Moderate Action Shimano Clarus that I thought about using for ultralight stuff but I really would like to get something other than a Shimano rod for a Daiwa reel.