My little Swedish army, taking these to the grave

Show off your latest and greatest catch, purchase, or acquisition with fellow TT Forum members.
tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

My little Swedish army, taking these to the grave

Post by tincanary » Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:45 am

Top left, scratch built 2500C IAR from aftermarket and new old stock parts. The only stock parts are the pinion yoke, return spring, clutch button, and side plates. Everything else is straight from the Avail catalog with the exception of the spool bearings and handle. This one is using the AMB2520R spool. The lightest round reel I own coming in at 6.0 oz.

Top right, 2500C. B-Trap worm, B-Trap 7.0:1 gears, Avail driveshaft and click wheel, Avail idler gear, Avail pinion bearing, Avail line guide, Avail AMB2540R spool. It's not light, but not heavy either at 8.4 oz.

Bottom, 1600C IAR. AMB1520R spool, Avail worm, line guide, and idler, 6.1:1 gears. My heaviest round reel at 9.3 oz.

Aaronb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: My little Swedish army, taking these to the grave

Post by Aaronb » Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:26 pm

I love those little reels. I have a 1500c and 2 2500c reels. I’m in the process of doing some upgrades on them but you know it gets pricey quickly. I have some other round reels including a Lin 10 mars, monoblock, conquest, and a couple millionaires. I still enjoy the nostalgia of the little ambassadeurs. Especially since there’s a lot of upgrades for them. Kind of like working on an old car.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:14 pm

Western finesse legend Don Iovino would be proud of you. He loves those reels and has sold parts over the years. They feel really smooth and solid, but my small hands love a lower profile reel.

tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tincanary » Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:37 pm

toddmc wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:14 pm
They feel really smooth and solid, but my small hands love a lower profile reel.
The one with the white knobs is a low profile, it has the offset frame that sits 7.5mm less than stock. It palms a lot like a Calcutta Conquest BFS now.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:02 pm

tincanary wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:37 pm
toddmc wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:14 pm
They feel really smooth and solid, but my small hands love a lower profile reel.
The one with the white knobs is a low profile, it has the offset frame that sits 7.5mm less than stock. It palms a lot like a Calcutta Conquest BFS now.
That build at 6 oz is just friggin' SICK.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

cam1223
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by cam1223 » Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:18 pm

Ive been looking at getting one or two of these off eBay and doing the same. How do you reckon the 2500's would hold up to inshore fishing along the gulf coast? normally i catch redfish, specks, flounder etc. Would you recommend getting the 4500 for drags sake?

tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tincanary » Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:14 am

cam1223 wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:18 pm
Ive been looking at getting one or two of these off eBay and doing the same. How do you reckon the 2500's would hold up to inshore fishing along the gulf coast? normally i catch redfish, specks, flounder etc. Would you recommend getting the 4500 for drags sake?
It'll be fine, there's a guy that posts to other forums that does exactly that. He's using a 1500C with the full suite of Avail parts. He is running the factory 4.7 gear set though.

Shadowcaster1969
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Shadowcaster1969 » Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:18 am

In my personal humble opinion, if there is an all time champion award for fishing reel design, these small Abu Ambassadeurs should win the award every day of the week and twice on weekends!!

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:28 pm

tincanary wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:45 am
Top left, scratch built 2500C IAR from aftermarket and new old stock parts.... The lightest round reel I own coming in at 6.0 oz.
Shazam! I would never have dreamed that possible in the classic Ambassadeur format. I can see why you are so attached to these reels.

tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tincanary » Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:38 pm

Bronzeye wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:28 pm
Shazam! I would never have dreamed that possible in the classic Ambassadeur format. I can see why you are so attached to these reels.
They're a lot of fun. You can get every single part for them aftermarket with the exception of the side plates. Hopefully more parts become available for the thumb bar models. Here's my latest, a 2600C I snatched off of Yahoo Auctions for way less than eBay money. This one has a Valleyhill idler and worm, Avail pinion bearing, line guide, and 2540R spool, full silicon nitride spool bearings, Avail mag brake, carbon drag, and a 60mm Haneda Craft handle. I kept the factory 5.3 gears in this one since it'll be my reel of choice for fishing the Detroit River. I can't wait for the white bass run in May, they get absolutely huge here. I've caught many master angler fish which are 16" and above. They're scrappier than smallies of equivalent size. I've even had them straighten hooks on me lol