Some of my Megabass Lures

Show off your latest and greatest catch, purchase, or acquisition with fellow TT Forum members.
John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Some of my Megabass Lures

Post by John G » Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:17 am

I love Megabass lures. I think I have a pretty decent collection and if it wasn't for me wanting to buy rods and reels, I would have a hell of a lot more. I do know that my collection is a baby collection compared to some others that I know of and I know a couple of guys that collect Pop X's and Pop Max's so I thought that I would be different and I started collecting Baby Pop X's. I'm not sure how many I have but I am sure that I have over 100. I am mostly proud of collecting the ones that have a Fur Finish. I have no idea why other than I like it and I think Yuki Ito is a marketing genius.I don't think that I own a Pop X with a Fur Finish and I think that I have 1 Pop Max with a Fur Finish. None of my Pop Max's are in the pics. When I was collecting Pop X's, I knew there was no way that I would collect every one of them but I thought that there was a possibility that I could collect all of the ones that were made specifically for salt water. I think that I did that but I gave one away during the holidays so I'm short one. The special thing about salt water Pop X's is that they all have Kanji writing on their back. None of them have tail feathers either. With all of the Megabass lures that I own, I actually have a favorite. It is a Special Color Pop X in Peacock Bass that will never be used and a close second is a color called Green Coach Dog.

SPC Peacock Bass and SPC Green Coach Dog

SW Pop X

SW Pop X's

I have 24 still in the package Fur Finish Baby Pop X's and I have others that are not in the package.

If I have a favorite Baby Pop X, this is it. This is Hot Shrimp RBII. It is an Australia only color and I had to get it from Australia.

Megabass paint jobs can suck. I was using this one over the weekend and when I was finished, I noticed that it was chipping. This is the last time that I will use one with an actual paint job. Luckily for me, I have a spare. :lol:

Here are my Megabass Prop Darter 80's. I need to spend more time with these because they are a cool little top water prop bait. I have caught exactly 1 fish with these and it was a beautiful Redear Sunfish.

Last edited by John G on Tue Jul 11, 2023 4:06 pm, edited 12 times in total.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: My Megabass Lures

Post by Cracker » Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:48 am

Impressive collection!
I didn’t even know the Baby Pop-X exist in Fur Finish.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: My Megabass Lures

Post by John G » Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:48 am

Cracker wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:48 am
Impressive collection!
I didn’t even know the Baby Pop-X exist in Fur Finish.
Thank you. The Fur Finish lures are really cool and in my experience, more expensive than regular ones.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Some of my Megabass Lures

Post by dragon1 » Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:16 pm

Holy Pop-X Hoarder, Batman!

Noice!
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:58 pm

dragon1 wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:16 pm
Holy Pop-X Hoarder, Batman!

Noice!
Thank you. :lol:

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:01 am

Just got some more Megabass goodies in the mail. :D

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:08 am

how do you find the action while still in the packages?

difficult to get a good hookset?

:lol:
1-2%

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:10 am

SteveSchmelzle wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:08 am
how do you find the action while still in the packages?

difficult to get a good hookset?

:lol:
By using the ones I have that are not in the package anymore of course. :lol:

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:11 am

I really hope every one of you live long, good lives, but I still dream of finding a collection like this at a yard sale/estate sale. Would be very rare where I live, but occasionally it still happens around here. A man will have built an amazing fishing collection, either gets too old to use it or passes away, and the wife or kids don't fish and get rid of it.

Aside of daydreaming of finding a collection like this to buy, that is an amazing one. I haven't got any of the Siglett's, but they look identical to cicadas I see on the water here. Saw a guy on a fishing show clean a smallmouth one time that was FULL of them.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:46 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:11 am
I really hope every one of you live long, good lives, but I still dream of finding a collection like this at a yard sale/estate sale. Would be very rare where I live, but occasionally it still happens around here. A man will have built an amazing fishing collection, either gets too old to use it or passes away, and the wife or kids don't fish and get rid of it.

Aside of daydreaming of finding a collection like this to buy, that is an amazing one. I haven't got any of the Siglett's, but they look identical to cicadas I see on the water here. Saw a guy on a fishing show clean a smallmouth one time that was FULL of them.
Thank you for the nice words. It would definitely be nice to find a nice collection at a garage sale or Estate Sale etc. If it were mine, I would be hoping that it would be bought by a fellow member of Tackle Tour that can appreciate what they found. :D
Sigletts are great. To be honest, I have not had a chance to use the Nano Sigletts yet and I have never used the Tiny Sigletts for fishing. I have however caught LM Bass using Sigletts and Grand Sigletts. The regular Siglett is easy enough to cast but I would recommend buying the Grand Siglett because it is definitely easier to cast and it is still pretty small. They can twitched or crawled or both and they are very effective.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:43 am

John G wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:46 am
DirtyD64 wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:11 am

Thank you for the nice words. It would definitely be nice to find a nice collection at a garage sale or Estate Sale etc. If it were mine, I would be hoping that it would be bought by a fellow member of Tackle Tour that can appreciate what they found. :D
Sigletts are great. To be honest, I have not had a chance to use the Nano Sigletts yet and I have never used the Tiny Sigletts for fishing. I have however caught LM Bass using Sigletts and Grand Sigletts. The regular Siglett is easy enough to cast but I would recommend buying the Grand Siglett because it is definitely easier to cast and it is still pretty small. They can twitched or crawled or both and they are very effective.
I bought a waterproof, deep Plano 3700 and filled it will JDM jigheads and a few USDM cranks. It is my "extras" box, and more than likely I will never use all the stuff in it. I figure one day, hopefully distant in the future, someone will get it and be very happy.

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:55 pm

I'm not really a Megabass fan, but I own about 35 lures from them. I used to catch many bass with Pop X in the late 90s. The best lure they have ever made (to me) is Giant Dog X. After 25 years, I still use it regularly, and have probably caught over 2,000 bass with it. One of the best walking baits for sure. :)

DarkShadow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DarkShadow » Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:47 pm

I love throwing the Dog X, in either the Sliding or Walking model. Or the Margay Stepcat. I enjoy fishing that bait a lot too.

It seems the baits I get bit on seem to get discontinued.