New frog rod !!

Show off your latest and greatest catch, purchase, or acquisition with fellow TT Forum members.
uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

New frog rod !!

Post by uljersey » Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:56 am

Fenwick HMG full cork with Fuji guides & Sea Guide Alien reel seat for under $60 … looks to be the discontinued previous incarnation that still had the cork foregrip, the current models are twice the $$$ and don’t have the cork foregrip or Fuji guides anymore. Got it from FFO (Pure Fishing’s outlet site) - https://ffo-tackle.com/products/hmg-casting-1447347

Here’s a TT review on the 7’ from a few years ago - http://www.tackletour.com/reviewfenwickHMG70mhfc.html

I was searching specifically for a short 6’6” MH rod for frogs as I fish from a canoe and even while standing I’m much closer to the water which makes walking baits difficult with longer rods. A pretty tall order to fill these days as the trend is favoring longer rods, which are fine for casting from the deck of a bass boat but not so much from a canoe/kayak.

The Fenwick ticked all the boxes for me and to find this one for the price I did was sweet. As with my other Fenwicks, the build quality is way beyond the price point. No blemishes or drips, guides are straight and the cork is flawless.

LOL, UPS managed to destroy 2 of these before they even made it to my door … Both times I had received emails from UPS stating the package was damaged in transit and was being sent back to the shipper. I had spoken with FFO by phone both times and they assured me that they would take care of it, which they did. Kudos to UPS for owning their mistake, my Spidey senses tell me had it been the USPS, they would have attempted a “dump & run” and left me to deal with the aftermath. And yes, it was shipped in a heavy TW style cardboard tube with plastic end caps and was internally wrapped and protected as well.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: New frog rod !!

Post by dragon1 » Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:57 pm

uljersey wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:56 am
Fenwick HMG full cork with Fuji guides & Sea Guide Alien reel seat for under $60 … looks to be the discontinued previous incarnation that still had the cork foregrip, the current models are twice the $$$ and don’t have the cork foregrip or Fuji guides anymore. Got it from FFO (Pure Fishing’s outlet site) - https://ffo-tackle.com/products/hmg-casting-1447347

Here’s a TT review on the 7’ from a few years ago - http://www.tackletour.com/reviewfenwickHMG70mhfc.html

I was searching specifically for a short 6’6” MH rod for frogs as I fish from a canoe and even while standing I’m much closer to the water which makes walking baits difficult with longer rods. A pretty tall order to fill these days as the trend is favoring longer rods, which are fine for casting from the deck of a bass boat but not so much from a canoe/kayak.

The Fenwick ticked all the boxes for me and to find this one for the price I did was sweet. As with my other Fenwicks, the build quality is way beyond the price point. No blemishes or drips, guides are straight and the cork is flawless.

LOL, UPS managed to destroy 2 of these before they even made it to my door … Both times I had received emails from UPS stating the package was damaged in transit and was being sent back to the shipper. I had spoken with FFO by phone both times and they assured me that they would take care of it, which they did. Kudos to UPS for owning their mistake, my Spidey senses tell me had it been the USPS, they would have attempted a “dump & run” and left me to deal with the aftermath. And yes, it was shipped in a heavy TW style cardboard tube with plastic end caps and was internally wrapped and protected as well.
Good stuff mango!
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

rubs96
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rubs96 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:48 am

Great find! What will you pair up with it?

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:50 am

rubs96 wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:48 am
Nothing fancy … have a 7.3:1 Revo X ready to go. It will get spooled with Sufix Performance braid.

rubs96
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rubs96 » Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:11 am

uljersey wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:50 am
[quote=rubs96 post_id=719585 time=<a href="tel:1678560539">1678560539</a> user_id=6904]
Nothing fancy … have a 7.3:1 Revo X ready to go. It will get spooled with Sufix Performance braid.
[/quote]

Still a sweet combo!